Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD : Morglbl : Jazz For The Deaf

Can't wait for tomorrow night!

Five hours and thirty minutes to go.....

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    God, I really hate jaz-- Oh, wait, wrong thread!

I did not contribute to that 'hate jazz' thread, but in general, I am NOT a fan of that genre. Yet I enjoyed this record.
    That's because it's not jazz. I think of it as being on the rockier side of fusion, having more in common with Ohm than, say, Tribal Tech.

I do like the record a lot, but it's not quite "love." I really wanted to hear them live, but alas, I was on the road when they came to Chicago earlier this month.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post

I do like the record a lot, but it's not quite "love." I really wanted to hear them live, but alas, I was on the road when they came to Chicago earlier this month.
    You definitely want to see them live. Morglbl is a lot like The Aristocrats to me. Their cds are good, but they truly pale in comparison to the live performances.
    Morglbl is one of THE most entertaining live acts around!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    You definitely want to see them live. Morglbl is a lot like The Aristocrats to me. Their cds are good, but they truly pale in comparison to the live performances.
    Morglbl is one of THE most entertaining live acts around!
    I'd go see them, but their east coast tour doesn't include New York state.

That's because it's not jazz. I think of it as being on the rockier side of fusion, having more in common with Ohm than, say, Tribal Tech.
    Agreed.

In fact I clump the Aristicrats and Morglbl in the same rock/fusion category.

Here's a clip of of Christoph Godin (Morglbl) and Guthrie Govin ( Aristocrats) jamming:
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I'd go see them, but their east coast tour doesn't include New York state.
    It did. They played Kingston, NY two nights ago.

They were awesome last night.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Agreed.

In fact I clump the Aristicrats and Morglbl in the same rock/fusion category.

Yes, they definitely are. Morglbl adds more humor and overall wackiness, though that's an element of both acts. So explain to me why Aristocrats packs Roxy and Dukes in the summer, and last night Morglbl plays the same venue and gets what, 50 to 55 people? Sure, it's not a weekend, but I'm still a bit baffled. Both concerts were great, BTW. Maybe it would be pretty awesome to see these two bands tour together. I'd go to that in a heartbeat.

Well wait a second, fusion certainly involves jazz, and I definitely think of Ohm and Tribal Tech as fusion bands. And I personally hear jazz elements in Morglbl music, but I guess others don't. I'm not a musician though, so maybe I'm way off base. No big deal, I like these bands however they are categorized.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Yes, they definitely are. Morglbl adds more humor and overall wackiness, though that's an element of both acts. So explain to me why Aristocrats packs Roxy and Dukes in the summer, and last night Morglbl plays the same venue and gets what, 50 to 55 people? Sure, it's not a weekend, but I'm still a bit baffled. Both concerts were great, BTW. Maybe it would be pretty awesome to see these two bands tour together. I'd go to that in a heartbeat.
    Because Morglbl are French.

> Because Morglbl are French. <

No smile emoticon makes me think you meant this. I highly doubt it. I saw them at NEARfest, again at the Proghouse for the tour for their last record, and would have went last night but I was taking my wife for peridontal treatments that really hurt her. Anyone who's seen them wants to see them again, and finances or family committments might keep people away but NOT the fact that they're French.

I think what Chris meant is that they are not as well known here.

I guess I hear a little of the Primus comparison but Primus tends to be too quirky for me due to Les Claypool's belief that he is funny.

Lasercd should talk Morglbl into releasing a live dvd. Their official bootleg dvd is now gone.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    You are correct sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Lasercd should talk Morglbl into releasing a live dvd. Their official bootleg dvd is now gone.
    Not a matter of talking them into it. The reality is that stand alone music DVDs are going the way of the dodo. Youtube is killing DVD sales. I was never satisfied with the quality of the "official bootleg" to release it commercially. At one point we discussed making it a bonus disc with Brutal Romance but we ran out of time on the project.

However on a positive note, yesterday we had a fruitful conversation about making live material available in the near future.

However on a positive note, yesterday we had a fruitful conversation about making live material available in the near future.
    That's encouraging news!

That is true, though I would think at this point they are not a comeplete unknown commodity. And the Aristocrats? Not exactly a household name. I'm surprised by fans of the style they play not knowing anything about Morglbl, but I guess that is the case.

Not a matter of talking them into it. The reality is that stand alone music DVDs are going the way of the dodo. Youtube is killing DVD sales.
    I don't understand that. I'd much rather watch a DVD on a big screen tv with a home theater system than to watch a Youtube clip on a much smaller computer screen with inferior sound.

That is true, though I would think at this point they are not a comeplete unknown commodity. And the Aristocrats? Not exactly a household name. I'm surprised by fans of the style they play not knowing anything about Morglbl, but I guess that is the case.
    The thing is that in the US Marco Minnemann, Guthrie Govan, and Bryan Beller are individually well known among musicians and fans of fusion (and metal). Christophe Godin is well known in Europe, primarily due to his relationship with Vigier guitars and Laney amplifiers. Vigier has a much larger presence in Europe so Christophe (and Ivan) don't get any press in the US guitar and bass magazines.

The first I ever heard of Marco was his Nearfest performance with Jobson, but now he is everywhere. And I think I own a couple things Beller is on. I knew of the name Guthrie Govan, but had no idea what kind of music or even what instrument he played. And finding out he was in the John Payne version of Asia would have me expecting anything special. Turns out I was wrong, he's a heck of a player.

The first I ever heard of Marco was his Nearfest performance with Jobson, but now he is everywhere. And I think I own a couple things Beller is on. I knew of the name Guthrie Govan, but had no idea what kind of music or even what instrument he played. And finding out he was in the John Payne version of Asia would have me expecting anything special. Turns out I was wrong, he's a heck of a player.
    Within the extensive muso community all three are very well known. Probably half the audience at a given Aristocrats gig is a drummer, guitarist, or bassist.

What happened to these guys?

And btw, I have an extra copy of Jazz For The Deaf if anyone wants to check out its brilliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    What happened to these guys?

And btw, I have an extra copy of Jazz For The Deaf if anyone wants to check out its brilliance.
    They are finishing up a new album. We haven't set a release date yet.