Thread: DIGITAL DREAMDOOR Greatest Progressive Rock Songs

DIGITAL DREAMDOOR Greatest Progressive Rock Songs

This is a pretty good website that produces all kinds of lists. This was just released and I thought they did a pretty good job. It is 200 songs long and has a a good variety. I have about 120 of them so it has me already looking to add to my list. Loved seeing “Harvest of Souls” at #116. A relatively modern classic. Let me know what you think.

https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/b...sive_rock.html

Banned
    You don't need to study the list for too long before the absurdity of these type of rankings shows through. Keeping in mind the description of how these songs were ranked at the beginning of the list:

Criteria: These progressive rock songs are ranked according to their popularity, acclaim and influence, with emphasis on prog rock circles.

Based on that criteria, "The Cinema Show" by Genesis is number 95 whereas "Schism" by Tool is number 27 (two spots above "Larks Tongue In Aspic - both parts" at number 29).

I realize that these "best of" lists always generate controversy and strong disagreements, but, come on.

I recall some people blabbing about that site back in 2005-2006. I didn't know it still existed. There was this one guy, Bruce Grossberg, who used to blab about it so much that I suspected he made the site himself. I wasn't sure whether these DDD polls were cooked or conducted.

Anyway, a list needs one of two features to be substantive:

1) Annotations: don't just say that an item is great, describe the qualities that make it great (no, bragging about it's popularity won't do).
    2) Voter bios: who are these people voting and what are their credentials? How do they qualify as experts (trained ears)?