Thread: Bolus

Bolus

In preparation for ROSfest I recently picked up the album “Watch Your Step” by Bolus and I am really digging this. Although it is not a new release it is the first album I have picked up by them. In a lot of ways they remind me of the old 90’s band Crucible (the vocals are very similar), and there is defiantly an 80’s era Rush vibe to some of their stuff too. Anyone else into these guys? How does their other album stack up to this one? This is one of my favorite purchases of the year so far for sure.

Steve Sly

I Bought two Bolus albums a couple years back and I enjoyed them. Guess its time to give them another spin. Thanks for the reminder. I dont recall what it was that made me buy, but they havent burned there way to the top of my listening pool. Of course, these last couple years I've bought way too much to keep up with everything. I think they were a part of a purchase frenzy and may have gotten less attention than they deserve.

Bought these on the description that they gave off an early IZZ vibe, and I gotta say that I really dig both releases.
    They have that super catchy hooky thing with their songs like IZZ.
    I can kinda see the OP's Crucible connection too. Look forward to more music from these guys (they look super young).

John

Guess I'll have to pop for at least one Bolus album before Rosfest.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Their website also says they've just finished adding vocals to their new (3rd?) album which is nearly completed. Wouldn't be surprised if this comes out just before Rosfest.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    In preparation for ROSfest I recently picked up the album “Watch Your Step” by Bolus and I am really digging this. Although it is not a new release it is the first album I have picked up by them. In a lot of ways they remind me of the old 90’s band Crucible (the vocals are very similar), and there is defiantly an 80’s era Rush vibe to some of their stuff too. Anyone else into these guys? How does their other album stack up to this one? This is one of my favorite purchases of the year so far for sure.

Steve Sly
    While on my constant discovery process of finding new bands I came across Bolus about two years ago. I started a couple of threads about the band and posted a couple of
    videos with very little response or interest. I think Yodelgoat was one of the responses to my thread. So I am very pleased George invited them to Rosfest which I attend every year.

While I enjoy all their music I think Delayed Reaction is the stronger of the two albums. On their website they are promoting if you buy their two albums they will include the original demo of
    Watch Your Step.

I highly recommend watching their videos online. They are certainly entertaining and a nice way to introduce yourself to the band live which is definitely improved when kyle Grounds performs.
    Even their cover songs are fun to listen to. I am sure you would enjoy the cover of the Katie Perry song ET posted on the website.

If you liked Watch Your Step I don't think you can go wrong by purchasing Delayed Reaction.

Nice to see some love for these guys! I love both their albums, and I heartily agree about the Crucible vibe. They are just young guys from north of Toronto and I'd love to go see them some day. I've listened to Watch Your Step and Delayed Reaction a LOT over the last few months, they even go down a storm with my co-workers (who are notorious for hating my music). Really looking forward to their next release, which is an auto-buy.

Don't forget to check out their cover of Michael Jackson's "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin" for a good bit of fun.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***