Thread: 22 Amazing David Bowie Songs

Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

The track Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps), with discordant guitar provided by Fripp, must be on the list.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Tough to choose from all the greatness, to be sure, but I would hope that any list of great Bowie songs would include something from his post 2K output. IMO The Next Day and Blackstar contain some of his most powerful material. And the version of 'Sue (Or in a Season of Crime)' with the Maria Schneider Orchestra from the compilation Nothing Has Changed is wonderful.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I would probably delete "John I'm Only Dancing" (which I never really cared for) and replace it with "Suffragette City". The same with swapping "Fame" with "Young Americans". "Lady Grinning Soul" and "1984" are also worthwhile replacements for a couple others on the list.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I was a little surprised that “The Bewlay Brothers” was omitted.

Banned
    I know that this suggestion for inclusion in the list may not gain much traction here at PE, but I am of the view that it is one the most sublime, yet powerful musical statements made by the Thin White Duke:

"This Is Not America" (song written by Metheny/Mays, entitled "Chris" in the movie instrumental version - lyrics and vocal by David Bowie in his version)

Agree big time with the inclusion of several latter day Bowie tunes:

Blackstar - Monder’s subtly brilliant touches
    Id Rather Be High - that exquisite tension! Probably number 2 on my list.
    Where Are We Now
    Days - under appreciated simplicity
    I Have Not Been to Oxford Town
    Pablo Picasso (not as J. Richman would have imagined it)

This is not America - indeed, yes.

From his greatest, post-Berlin, period, with Lodger and Scary Monsters:
    Scary Monsters
    Fashion - THAT guitar solo
    Boys Keep Swinging - with the iconic video ending that you cannot unsee, while Belew wails ecstatically
    The incomparable Red Sails - more Belew pushing the guitar solo twenty years into the future. Eno being Eno. Fun song begetting fun memories, thus his best ever track.
    Sense of Doubt

Not so much a fan of his early stuff, the Anthony Newley affections, although I have a soft spot for the cinematic Five Years.

His big hits? The opening verse of Modern Love is absolute an earworm, less enthused about the chorus.

As I said in the intro to the list - a difficult one. Truly a wealth of great choices. 15 minutes later & it would have been a bit different. I love hearing the choices of others & the rationales behind them!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

The title track to Aladdin Sane would be on my list. But some great songs on there, John.

Space Oddity has been covered by many, including Happy the Man drummer Joe Bergamini's other band, 4Front.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Five Years for me
    In The Port Of Amsterdam for Le Grand Jacques
    and at least two from Blackstar for David Jones
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I would probably delete "John I'm Only Dancing" (which I never really cared for) and replace it with "Suffragette City". The same with swapping "Fame" with "Young Americans". "Lady Grinning Soul" and "1984" are also worthwhile replacements for a couple others on the list.
    Never saw the appeal of "John I'm Only Dancing" either, and he made several different versions of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I know that this suggestion for inclusion in the list may not gain much traction here at PE, but I am of the view that it is one the most sublime, yet powerful musical statements made by the Thin White Duke:

"This Is Not America" (song written by Metheny/Mays, entitled "Chris" in the movie instrumental version - lyrics and vocal by David Bowie in his version)
    "This Is Not America" is indeed a great track.

There are a couple that would never make my list, but happy to see "Time" so high on the list.

Let's Dance (full version). Love the conga drums and guitar.

Rebel, Rebel is another favorite.

Sell me a coat with buttons of silver,sell me a coat that's red or gold---Sell me a coat with buttons of silver,sell me a coat cause I feel cold.....(brrr)

Quote Originally Posted by loshammeros View Post
    Sell me a coat with buttons of silver,sell me a coat that's red or gold---Sell me a coat with buttons of silver,sell me a coat cause I feel cold.....(brrr)
    I for one love all that early stuff, even the really goofy tracks. I'll nominate "We Are Hungry Men."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Very happy to see, "Look Back in Anger" on the list. Lodger is my favorite Bowie album and I'd also include, "Red Sails"...Belew's solo at the end is brilliant. I'd also add my 2 favorite Fripp tracks, "Joe the Lion" and "Scary Monsters...". Narrowing Bowie down to 22 tracks is a tough assignment
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Let's Dance (full version). Love the conga drums and guitar.

Rebel, Rebel is another favorite.
    Wasn't that the song which made Stevie Ray Vaughan famous?
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Jon Neudorf
    Maybe. He does play guitar on the entire album. It must have been a huge career boost for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye-Ergot View Post
    I was a little surprised that “The Bewlay Brothers” was omitted.
    Agreed. Possibly my all time favourite song of his.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Wasn't that the song which made Stevie Ray Vaughan famous?
    To the masses probably. I think he already had his band - Double Trouble going already. Didn't David ask him to join the band full time or something? Stevie declined because he wanted to do his thing.