Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Buying a New Computer - Windows 7 still okay?

  1. #1

    Buying a New Computer - Windows 7 still okay?

    My Windows 7 computer that I've had since 2014 is making groaning sounds for a few minutes when I fire it up so I'm figuring it's going to crap out soon. I've heard many people complaining about Windows 10 since it came out although I don't know the specifics. There are still new computers with Windows 7 being sold on Ebay - any reason why buying one of these instead of a Windows 10 PC would be a problem? It doesn't bother me if it's no longer being supported as I used XP for several years after its support had ended.
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

  2. #2
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    2,925
    It depends. Win 7 is not too bad if you practice good online hygiene.
    Don't depend on Microsoft to keep you safe. If the computer does not come patched up, you may not be able to use Windows Update to do the job for you.
    You are going to be replacing a 2014 vintage system with another of equal or older vintage.
    Unless some significant parts ( hard drive, power supply, optical drive ) have been replaced...tick tick tick. You are trading one problem for another.
    If parts have been replaced, hope they did a good job.
    I have had really good luck with refurb computers over the years. But they from vendors with return and warranty programs.
    If you like working on computers, why not. Some new peripherals may not support win 7, and many new USB devices work with USB3 which was never well supported.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

  3. #3
    Windows 10 will offer the most protection as MS will update it. I have not had any issues with the OS. Why buy a machine with an outdated
    system at this point? I loved XP and 7, but for safety, it's best to go with 10 at this point.

  4. #4
    Member hippypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tyler, Tx
    Posts
    1,055
    I've not had any problems with Win 10, works good.

  5. #5
    Ember
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Delaware County PA
    Posts
    406
    IMO Win10 is the best version of Windows, as long as you're running it on a machine designed for it.

    If a Windows 7 computer is not connected to the Internet, and you don't install software from unknown sources... and if the only applications you need to run are those explicitly compatible with 7, and you don't need to install newer devices that require drivers... then sure, why not? You can maintain the stasis bubble you're currently living in.

    But the end of support does mean a connected Win7 machine is a very easy target for malware and malpeople. I think online use is a strong argument for up-to-date devices with up-to-date defences.

  6. #6
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    4,597
    A couple years ago, the switch from Windows 7 to 10 was back-breaking for our old computers. BUT my laptop took it like a champ. Now my wife and I both have Windows 10 PCs and it is smoother as anything. The laptop still works fine. I don't think there's any reason any more to fear Windows 10 - it's very stable.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  7. #7
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    2,925
    I have bitten the bullet on Win 10 for all but 1 of my computers running windows ( 1 of 5 ), the rest run linux variants.
    Like it or not Win 10 is the future. It is also just as much of a tracking device as a smartphone.
    With a bit of diligence you can minimize the tracking stuff, but never eliminate it.
    You can pick up a decent new system these days for very little cash ( perhaps not ebay prices ) for surfing and basic use.
    Supported and compatible with the stuff found in stores.
    Going forward Win 10 has one issue ( that is not unique, more like catching up ), Microsoft rolls out new features and changes that are mandatory over time.
    Their goal is a subscription based model.
    By pushing more applications and services to the 'cloud' you use 'someone else's computer' ( Microsoft Azure ) for storage and application delivery.
    The first taste is free, anything more will cost you.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

  8. #8
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,895
    Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    IMO Win10 is the best version of Windows, as long as you're running it on a machine designed for it.

    If a Windows 7 computer is not connected to the Internet, and you don't install software from unknown sources... and if the only applications you need to run are those explicitly compatible with 7, and you don't need to install newer devices that require drivers... then sure, why not? You can maintain the stasis bubble you're currently living in.

    But the end of support does mean a connected Win7 machine is a very easy target for malware and malpeople. I think online use is a strong argument for up-to-date devices with up-to-date defences.
    I would think long and hard about accessing the internet from computer running a no longer supported OS. Particularly for things like online shopping and banking. Windows historically has had more holes than a screen door. If not patched, hackers can drive a bus right into your computer.

    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I have bitten the bullet on Win 10 for all but 1 of my computers running windows ( 1 of 5 ), the rest run linux variants.
    Like it or not Win 10 is the future. It is also just as much of a tracking device as a smartphone.
    With a bit of diligence you can minimize the tracking stuff, but never eliminate it.
    You can pick up a decent new system these days for very little cash ( perhaps not ebay prices ) for surfing and basic use.
    Supported and compatible with the stuff found in stores.
    Going forward Win 10 has one issue ( that is not unique, more like catching up ), Microsoft rolls out new features and changes that are mandatory over time.
    Their goal is a subscription based model.
    By pushing more applications and services to the 'cloud' you use 'someone else's computer' ( Microsoft Azure ) for storage and application delivery.
    The first taste is free, anything more will cost you.
    Many software developers' latest versions only run on Windows 10. The latest versions of Microsoft Visual Studio, the primary development platform, generate code compatible only with Windows 10.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  9. #9
    I'm on Win7 and love it. I have no problems. Haven't had an update ever since I bought this comp four years ago or so. Won't go any higher as everything above 7 sucks. The comp I had before this one, I tried 8 or 10, I forget, but it was like a stupid phone and I didn't like that layout. This one I specifically had the guy put 7 in it after a power surge blasted the one I had.

    I never used updates, always had them turned off as they were full of crap and the Win10 thing, where they tried to force people into it, sucked. Still kicking strong and I don't use any anti software.

    It works, and works the way I want it to so I'm happy. I don't do any shopping but I do have my credit union info to access that in here but that's it. Not much to steal from here.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 05-29-2020 at 05:26 PM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

    HODOR!

  10. #10
    Good replies, everyone, thanks. Like Loony, I turned off updates for Win 7 a few years ago and never had an issue. So Win10 had mandatory updates?
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Good replies, everyone, thanks. Like Loony, I turned off updates for Win 7 a few years ago and never had an issue. So Win10 had mandatory updates?
    There was a time when the updates for 7, maybe 8, featured a somewhat Orwellian moment when it tried to force people into using Win10. It passed but was quite annoying at the time.

    I edited my post above to say I'm not buying anything online but if someone hacked me they could get my CU access. I'm not worried about them stealing the few bucks I have in there but they could use it for other nefarious means. Whatever, I'll just have it changed and go about my day.

    I only use my comp to read/post here and ATS. Watch some videos on YT and what not. So Win7 works for me but may not for those who use their comps in different ways. This one could be a pretty good gaming platform, if I remember that right but I don't do that. About the only game I'm gonna play is Zork and that doesn't require the comp strength that gaming these days uses.

    IOW, FWIW.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

    HODOR!

  12. #12
    If you're doing internet-banking some banks in The Netherlands don't support Windows 7 anymore, so you have to go with 10 or else you can do your internet-banking.
    I've got 10 for a few years: no problems at all but also go for a good anti-virus system as well.

  13. #13
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,334
    Generally speaking, there is nothing wrong with Windows 10 for everyday use. It's UX is more like 7 than 8. After a while there is no good reason to not upgrade beyond either fear and/or stubbornness. Unless you're in an IT career like I believe Mark is, you likely don't have command over your computer to customize it. Or if you are doing absolutely nothing with it (aka Ludditis), then maybe switch over to tablet if that isn't too large of a tech leap to handle.

    Whatever decision you make, remember PE is not a tech support group.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  14. #14
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    4,894
    If you're buying a brand new, modern computer get it with Windows 10. No reason why you shouldn't. You'll adapt.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 05-29-2020 at 09:07 PM.

  15. #15
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,895
    I find the learning curve between 7 and 10 is nowhere near as steep as from 7 to 8. Windows 8 was Microsoft's answer to IOS and Android, which would've been fine if Windows Phones ever took off, but was quite messy for a desktop environment. What does annoy me as a techie is in an effort to make it easier, MS added a bunch of superfluous extra steps to customize Windows 10.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •