Thread: NEO-PROG ALERT :: THE BARDIC DEPTHS

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

NEO-PROG ALERT :: THE BARDIC DEPTHS

Attention neo-prog fans (and goodbye to non-neo-prog fans!): I just listened to a great new release, the self-titled debut album by UK band The Bardic Depths. This album is excellent neo-prog with a somewhat relaxed feel. The drummer plays a little loosely, which gives this a little more human feeling than sometimes comes through the widdly widdly. I'm not a musician so I'm not sure. but I think he's playing a litte behind the beat or something. The vocals too are good, but a little less smooth than some, and with a VERY slight bit of Mick Jones going on. Very slight, I don't want to scare anyone awy with that, this does sound primarily like neo-prog. The compositions are strong, the lyrics are pretty interesting and vaguely political in some way. Apparently there's a them but I haven't quite focused on it. War, death, something.

Anyway, it's a damned good album on first listen. Oh, and Peter Jones guests on saxophone, which is pretty good! I think I ordered it from their Bandcamp page, or possibly from Magenta's webstore. Anyway, there are a couple of FB groups for the band (one is smalled and for discussion of the music, etc.). I think think that in some way this band spawned from the Big Big Train world - maybe fans? Oh, for some reason the cover is ugly as hell. Oh well...

Here's a teaser I haven't watched yet! You might try some full songs on YouTube instead. Let me know what you think!

Old man of prog
    Thx for the tip JKL2000. Usually like your taste and it is indeed a winner. Purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    Thx for the tip JKL2000. Usually like your taste and it is indeed a winner. Purchased.
    Great, you're welcome!

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Great, you're welcome!
    Our biggest disagreement though is the new Pendragon, a band that I have loved throughout the years. Gotta say this album just leaves me cold. I keep trying but it just seems “slight”. Nick’s melodies are one of his strongest talents and I just find this album’s songs “meh”. The whole project just comes across as lazy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    Our biggest disagreement though is the new Pendragon, a band that I have loved throughout the years. Gotta say this album just leaves me cold. I keep trying but it just seems “slight”. Nick’s melodies are one of his strongest talents and I just find this album’s songs “meh”. The whole project just comes across as lazy to me.
    I find that I keep returning to Love Over Fear. I initially felt the way you did. It's a mellow record and sort of a shock to the system after the last few. But I think it's probably the best Pendragon since Not of This World. As a point of comparison, it's stuck with me more than the last IQ album. YMMV and all that.

Wow, yes, Progmeister, we definitely, and respectfully, disagree. I liked the album right away, and the opinion of pretty much everyone on their FB group agrees with me. Who knows? It certainly doesn't seem lazy to me, but I really didn't think their previous two albums were among their best work, so I guess we're looking for different things.

I was listening to it, and thought it was pretty good, when all of a sudden a loud buzzing went off. I thought to myself, "What the hell is that sound?" After a few minutes it occurred to me...That's the Neo-Prog alert! I'm not supposed to listen to this! Think about your reputation! I quickly ejected the CD, of course.

It isn't that you're NOT SUPPOSED to listen to it. It's that you're NOT WORTHY!

Boy, my typing was lacking when I posted that review! I may have had a drink or two, but the album IS good!