Thread: Rick Beato / Joni Mitchell's Amelia

Rick Beato / Joni Mitchell's Amelia

Great tune and he analyzed it well. Sometimes he's just in cheerleader mode, so it was nice for him to dissect this one.

Sounds amazingly good when he plays those chords on that hollow body guitar.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I don't know this song, so I thought it was about Joni and Morgellons (which I mentioned a couple of months ago must have made her more freaked out than some by Covid-19). Probably no one wants to hear about Morgellons now.

It's great to see him explain a bit of her genius. He also talks a little about her lyrics and how it makes him cry, something we've all experienced.

Dave Stewart and Barbara Gaskin to a nice cover of Amelia on the album Spin

Zaragon / Joni Mitchell - "Furry Sings the Blues" and "Black Crow" (1976)

So glad to see this being featured in WMTSG. Hejira is a desert island side for me, and 'Amelia' is absolutely sublime. The "rise" he points out - the upward changes in key center at the end of the intro and going into the first verse - is something I've always felt, but never really put my finger on. What a great piece of writing. In a tribute I recorded years ago off of TNT, there's a quote from Judy Collins that struck me: "I record Joni's songs because I like them. There doesn't seem to be anyone quite as good." And it's always fascinating to hear detail about her unconventional guitar tunings. Thumbs up to Mr. Beato again!

If you want to see several major talents covering JM songs, this is a great place to spend 90 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL20ICiejI4
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

An amazing album all the way, a jewel and a masterpiece - genius at work.

First Joni Mitchell album I bought, and although I've since bought Blue, Hissing of Summer Lawns and Court and Spark, Hejira is still my favourite.

"The "rise" he points out - the upward changes in key center at the end of the intro and going into the first verse - is something I've always felt, but never really put my finger on. What a great piece of writing."

Maybe the idea was to rise like a plane at takeoff?