Thread: The Backstage - Isolation - New project from Reingold, Townsend, Blundell

The Backstage - Isolation - New project from Reingold, Townsend, Blundell

Jonas posted this on Facebook:

Dear friends. Long letter ahead!!!

Cut the crap get me to the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzUArn3eYDM

I will tell it as it is in this post. No bending of the truth. You will get a true insight in how it is to be a freelance musician in times like this. January 2020, I looked at my schedule and was very satisfied with the situation. Everything that I worked so hard for over the years aligned, a row of success. I was on top of the mountain.A world tour with Steve Hackett, festival gigs with The Flower Kings, other gigs with different artists and recordings.

Then this invisible enemy appeared and literally from one day to another, all activities stopped, got cancelled, postponed. Did I have a B-plan? No, a pandemic of this magnitude is nothing anyone is prepared for. Did I have insurances, financial back up to cover from going 100% to absolutely zero? The answer is sadly “no” there as well. This is not a rant to make you all feel sorry for me. Others got sick, lost loved ones, lost their jobs, shattered families, mental illness, the wounds a tragedy like this leaves upon the world are of astronomic magnitude. I still have a roof over my head, so I’m probably one of the lucky ones.

However, I lost a whole year’s salary to Covid-19 from one day to another. The Hackett and TFK gigs got cancelled. My schedule got totally eradicated. If you lose your normal job, you are getting at least some insurance from the employer or the government (in most cases). In the freelance world nothing like this exists. You are on your own, unless you’re doing great, then the taxman rings your doorbell and wants a piece of the action.

The revenues from the online platforms are basically zero. The only real money we can make, is from concerts. You do the math, zero concerts equal zero income. Luckily, I got 1000 Euros from the Emergencyfund here in Austria. That was nice for a week. I don’t have any Rock’n Roll millions hidden in any obscure tax haven countries. I have my instruments, everything I made on music went straight back into music. Always been like that, so to put it mildly, it’s shit.

But, can you just lie down and weep? Of course not, that doesn’t bring bread to the table. I still have 2 kids to support on top of myself. Is it easy to be creative and start over from square one? Of course not, you have to raise above that. If not for yourself but for your kids.

So, this leads me back to you guys.

Me, Rob and Craig launched this project to cover for our tour losses, to survive. This is the only thing we know how to do. This is the only thing we can do. If you are one of the people who still has a job, a family, your health and on top of that likes music and believes that music should be part of the society, you can make a difference.

By signing up for the VIP package, you help us tremendously through the hard times. The extra money will not end up in champagne, sunshine and lollipops. It will pay for rent, food for us and the kids, just the basic stuff. You don’t get anything more than your name on the CD, but you get a heartfelt thank you from us and on the behalf of the whole musician’s community.
    Check out the teaser from The Backstage upcoming release "Isolation" Jonas Reingold, Rob Townsend, Craig Blundell normally in Steve Hackett Band has gathered tons of special guests and prog royalty from all corners of the world. Jonas, Rob and Craig bring back the fusion spirit of the 70-ies. A must have for fans of Brecker Brothers, Billy Cobham, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to forever etc etc.

---------

I'm in!! Sounds good, sort of like 3rd World Electric and promise of special guests we will probably see others from the Hackett and Flower Kings camps making appearances.
    Tough situation for these guys but glad they are making the best of it and doing what they do best - create!

You can pre-order the VIP package (Get your name on the CD 100 slots available.) and see the cover art here:

https://www.jonasreingold.se/product...tage-isolation

Interesting. I see a lot of mention of special guests, but no details as to who these actually may be...?

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Interesting. I see a lot of mention of special guests, but no details as to who these actually may be...?

Henry
    No hints yet, Rob Townsend says "On the full album we will have a pageant of Prog and Jazz Royalty for your delectation, more details to be revealed in a slow, tantalising way…"

I would guess friends Roine Stolt and Lalle Larsson would probably be among them. Lalle for sure.

The samples were really good. Vintage fusion style.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

update from Jonas - Website shows this will be released August 28 - the new video is really fun too - check it out...

Dear fellow brothers and sisters of humanity. It’s in good spirit I´m writing to you today. Not only because of your gracious contributions when we released the news about our project The Backstage (where we sold the 200 slots “get your name on the CD” in only 3 days), but also because of the Covid-19 situation here in Austria. Only 404 cases right now and only 9 in ICU. Maybe we can get back to some kind of normality soon if we keep on distancing, washing hands and behaving carefully.

I miss playing gigs, but doing The Backstage recording is very uplifting and inspiring. We’re starting to get all the guest files in and phew, can I tell you. It’s like Barcelona FC of Prog. I can assure you all that you will not get disappointed. We will reveal who, why and when in a near future.

I’ve also set up a Donate button on my page www.jonasreingold.se, in case you feel to contribute, besides getting the CD. Everything you can give will help us a lot. As I said previously, music is already a tough business, but when all the gigs are gone, it’s a dead business. So, thank you!

We are now starting to sell normal pre-orders of The Backstage “Isolation” and to express our gratitude to all of your help and contributions, we are releasing a brand new video today. We hope you enjoy it.

Thank you for taking the time to read my words and watch our madness. Now, back to the studio and some great music, shall we?

https://www.jonasreingold.se/product...ge-isolation-1

Article on The Backstage also has the song titles
    https://www.loudersound.com/news/jon...-the-backstage

The Backstage: Isolation
    1. Some Skunk Blues
    2. Swag
    3. Stones And Pebbles
    4. Distancing
    5. 31 Ways To Lose Your Lover
    6. All the Things you Were
    7. Can I Have Your Number?
    8. Isolation
    9. Yuff Market
    10. Covid Nights

There are 17 Special Guests and those that we know of so far are: Steve Hackett, Nick Beggs, Marco Minnemann, Pat Mastelotto, Roine Stolt, Luke Machin, Andy Tillison, Tom Brislin, Roger King, Lalle Larson and Carl Orr.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Article on The Backstage also has the song titles
    https://www.loudersound.com/news/jon...-the-backstage

The Backstage: Isolation
    1. Some Skunk Blues
    2. Swag
    3. Stones And Pebbles
    4. Distancing
    5. 31 Ways To Lose Your Lover
    6. All the Things you Were
    7. Can I Have Your Number?
    8. Isolation
    9. Yuff Market
    10. Covid Nights

There are 17 Special Guests and those that we know of so far are: Steve Hackett, Nick Beggs, Marco Minnemann, Pat Mastelotto, Roine Stolt, Luke Machin, Andy Tillison, Tom Brislin, Roger King, Lalle Larson and Carl Orr.
    Who is the guest keyboard player referred to in the liner notes as Mr. Okmulgee and Mr. Muskogee? I'm guessing it's Ryo Okumoto.