Thread: Karn Evil 9, 2nd Impression - An International Collaboration

Karn Evil 9, 2nd Impression - An International Collaboration

Rachel Flowers - Piano (USA)
    George Barabás - Synthesizers (Hungary)
    Steve Barber - Percussion (USA)
    Alex Faggian - Bass - (Italy)
    Mihály Tunkli (Misi) - Audio mixing & video editing (Hungary)

Interesting. Karn Evil 9 was one of the first things I heard by ELP. I still know where I was, when I heard it for the first time. Some days later I bought Welcome back my friends, because it was the only ELP album I found, which had both Jerusalem (the other ELP song I heard when I also heard Karn Evil 9) and Karn Evil 9.

Nice! 2nd impression was always my favorite from that album, and one of my favorites in their whole catalogue. This is well done!

I'm with bill g: Impression 2 has always been my favorite cut from BSS. This version is a lot of fun and very true to the original. It's not easy rehearsing and learning these parts while in the same room (viz the video you can find on YT of E, L, and P rehearsing it and Keith teaching the parts to the other two by ear), much less from different continents! Kudos to all involved!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    It's not easy rehearsing and learning these parts while in the same room
    Rachel probably listened to it once, and had the whole thing nailed. And, if you'd given her a few more passes, she could have put down the bass and drum parts perfectly as well.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Thanks for posting! That was splendid.

Can't say I have a favourite impression. I tend to take them as a whole and enjoy the three impressions together as the most excellent epic it is.

I remembered when I was a teenager first hearing this I got confused looking at the album's sleeve notes, because the 2d Impression is clearly two separate pieces. I don't know why Emerson didn't just make it Impressions 2 and 3 and then what is the 3rd Impression number 4.

But nice job on the cover.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.