Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dave Kerzner's Squids Remix of Steven Wilson Personal Shopper Which Can't Be Shared!

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Although I must say I think I've heard this song and that falsetto voice WAYYYY more than I ever would have normally! haha.
    I know, right? I wasn't able to deal with the falsetto as effectively as you were. I just added all kinds of crazy delay processing to the verse vocals to try and make it less annoyingly "white guy falsetto".

By the way, here is my favorite remix, so far. This guy completely reharmonized the key parts of the song, and in so doing made a version that I prefer to the original:

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I know, right? I wasn't able to deal with the falsetto as effectively as you were. I just added all kinds of crazy delay processing to the verse vocals to try and make it less annoyingly "white guy falsetto".

By the way, here is my favorite remix, so far. This guy completely reharmonized the key parts of the song, and in so doing made a version that I prefer to the original:
    That's interesting but I prefer the original to that remix. To me it sounds changed just to change it chord-wise but doesn't make sense or fit... at least not for my tastes. My own mix did fit but it was kind of gimmicky I admit (like a Floyd-Police-Wilson mashup... however it was fun and since we can't sell these might as well have fun I say). Tom Lord-Alge's remix is the best one I've heard. But, he's someone who gets paid thousands of dollars to mix or remix a song so... not surprised! I did upload it to the futurebites WeTransfer. Although strangely enough I didn't get the confirmation that it was downloaded. Maybe I will tomorrow since it's the last day. I'm not sure if Tom actually cares about being entered into the contest but I thought it was fun to put him in there anyway. I don't think he sent it in himself. If I were Steven I'd grab that free remix from Tom to use. As for the rest, there are a lot of fun ones to see what people did.

Here's Robin from Cosmograf's remix:

That's interesting but I prefer the original to that remix. To me it sounds changed just to change it chord-wise but doesn't make sense or fit... at least not for my tastes. My own mix did fit but it was kind of gimmicky I admit (like a Floyd-Police-Wilson mashup... however it was fun and since we can't sell these might as well have fun I say).
    Fair enough. I feel like the basic song needed something 'more', so throwing in a bunch of interesting chord changes resonated with me, particularly in the chorus, even though I would have changed some things.

I really liked your ideas for it, and they fit the song well.

Maybe it's just my own POV, but I see little reason to do a subtle remix to an already released commercial song. Better to have fun with it and experiment with it. Like you say, we're not trying to sell these to anyone.

On my doom metal remix, I ended up recording my own straightforward metal rhythm guitars; however, I had toyed with turning my mix into some kind of nightmarish avant-garde thing. If I had wanted to spend the time to do more than one remix, that's what I would have done.

Fair enough. I feel like the basic song needed something 'more', so throwing in a bunch of interesting chord changes resonated with me, particularly in the chorus, even though I would have changed some things.

I really liked your ideas for it, and they fit the song well.

Maybe it's just my own POV, but I see little reason to do a subtle remix to an already released commercial song. Better to have fun with it and experiment with it. Like you say, we're not trying to sell these to anyone.

On my doom metal remix, I ended up recording my own straightforward metal rhythm guitars; however, I had toyed with turning my mix into some kind of nightmarish avant-garde thing. If I had wanted to spend the time to do more than one remix, that's what I would have done.
    Yes personally I find it more interesting when musicians play along or an engineer does some creative tweaking. And I suppose there are three approaches to this. One is to have some fun (but still be creative or clever with it), two is to show how you'd do a remix if Steve hired you (that'd be like what Tom did) and third would be random stuff that is more of a stretch to say it makes any sense... and within that random can be perhaps some way outside of the box creativity. A few friends told me what they would have done if they did a remix and some were out there. But, they probably spent that time working on music they can actually sell today on Bandcamp when they've waived their artist fee! I am too on my Sonic Elements Bandcamp page but I had to stay up all night to finish something to release today. If I spent those days I did the remix on my own productions maybe I'd have had more sleep last night! haha. I'm so tired!!!

Hello everyone... I hope this is the right place to put my remix....
    I only kept the original vocals. changed ALL chords and arrangement, changed the tempo and the overall structure of the song, hope you like it!

https://soundcloud.com/sterbus/steve...del-grgbnd-rmx
    Last edited by Sterbus; 06-05-2020 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    I only kept the original vocals. changed ALL chords and arrangement, changed the tempo and the overall structure of the song, hope you like it!

I like it! I'm glad I'm not the only one who decided to slow the tempo way down. :

Nice job! Now I feel bad for the title of the thread being about my remix but it was also about the struggles of even doing a remix on Soundcloud and social media. It was not easy! My other Soundcloud account is still blocked with no explanation. I had to make a new one. Anyway, the reason I did that is I actually thought there was a general thread about the remix contest here. I should have looked.

But, yeah by all means anyone can post their remix in here. Cool to have one place here to listen. I wish I could edit and change the title of the thread. I suppose PE would be more interested if it was a proggier SW song. That would actually be even more fun (for rock people) to see what ithers do creatively with the stems of a proggy song. But, still, this has been fun and interesting in the end. Curious which ones he'll choose. I have a feeling it won't be ones that took it back into a rock direction. Could be wrong though! Btw today I think was the last day .

I like it! I'm glad I'm not the only one who decided to slow the tempo way down. :
    Thank you!! To be totally nerdy about it, in my case the click-track is still 125 bpm, but the drums are playing at half the pace!
    I just heard your mix, you did a good job too, maintaining the groove!

But, yeah by all means anyone can post their remix in here. Cool to have one place here to listen. I wish I could edit and change the title of the thread. I suppose PE would be more interested if it was a proggier SW song. That would actually be even more fun (for rock people) to see what ithers do creatively with the stems of a proggy song. But, still, this has been fun and interesting in the end. Curious which ones he'll choose. I have a feeling it won't be ones that took it back into a rock direction. Could be wrong though! Btw today I think was the last day .
    I learned about it from SW's social media, I believe. I'm also a little surprised it didn't get mentioned in the main PE thread for his upcoming album. There are a lot of musicians here, so I'd think we contributed a fair number of entries between us.

I didn't have any problems with Soundcloud on my mix, but SW posted at one point that it was a known problem and provided an alternative.

One thing I noticed in listening to a ton of entries using a Soundcloud search was a certain hard-to-describe common thread that showed why we're all SW fans. It's cool that he did this contest--I got several days of chuckles out of seeing how badly I could eff up his song!

Thank you!! To be totally nerdy about it, in my case the click-track is still 125 bpm, but the drums are playing at half the pace!
    I just heard your mix, you did a good job too, maintaining the groove!
    Thanks! I initially set the BPM on my version at pure half-speed (62.5 bpm) so that I could make certain stems line up correctly if I didn't want to time-stretch them. However, that was just too slow to make it work for me. In the end, it starts out at 70bpm and goes to 80 and then 95bpm as it intensifies. Working with time stretched stems is a heck of a lot of fun, but vocals get very weird if you stretch them too far--which I certainly did here!

Thanks! I initially set the BPM on my version at pure half-speed (62.5 bpm) so that I could make certain stems line up correctly if I didn't want to time-stretch them. However, that was just too slow to make it work for me. In the end, it starts out at 70bpm and goes to 80 and then 95bpm as it intensifies. Working with time stretched stems is a heck of a lot of fun, but vocals get very weird if you stretch them too far--which I certainly did here!
    I'm absolutely not a tech geek, unfortunately. I used GarageBand, and the old version too, from 2011! (the very one BEFORE all the new design with the drummer function) I don't know if you know those samples, but using a 62.5 everything really would've sounded bad! But some drum samples are already at half time, even if you set it at 125. Whoah! In my case, definitely a case of "necessity is the mothers of invention"... I always work with restrictions. I have a very nice Telecaster Deluxe and a Rickenbacker bass, but all goes through a very cheap Behringer audio interface. First time I program drum rolls!

I'm absolutely not a tech geek, unfortunately. I used GarageBand, and the old version too, from 2011! (the very one BEFORE all the new design with the drummer function) I don't know if you know those samples, but using a 62.5 everything really would've sounded bad! But some drum samples are already at half time, even if you set it at 125. Whoah! In my case, definitely a case of "necessity is the mothers of invention"... I always work with restrictions. I have a very nice Telecaster Deluxe and a Rickenbacker bass, but all goes through a very cheap Behringer audio interface. First time I program drum rolls!
    I use Reaper as my DAW, which has a very nice time-stretch feature for audio files. It's amazing how few artifacts show up even on vocals if you keep the tempo within +/- 10 BPM of the original. Going beyond that starts to do weird things to the audio, though. The vocals on my version got really warbly, which you can hear with the ladies in the chorus on my version. I had to do some Exorcist-level spooky delay processing to help mask that.

For those not in the know, time-stretching is a method by which a recording app analyzes the individual audio files in a song when you change the base tempo--it then stretches or shrinks the length of the audio files to match the new tempo--all while maintaining the original pitch. Thus, you can change the tempo on a song and have all the audio still match up, while still being in their original tuning. It's really amazing! However, the limits of the audio conversion process start to show up if you make radical changes in tempo--you get some weird audio artifacts.

I suspect that a lot of songs these days have tempo tweaking done by the producer without the artist ever knowing about it. It used to be the entire thing would have to be rerecorded in order to change the tempo. Not anymore.

Even though the contest is technically over and you can't do two remixes anyway... Tom Lord-Alge sent me a hilarious remix/mashup with classic Genesis! I don't know if I can share that one though. Maybe temporarily real quick if you want to hear it. I'll ask him. He just does mash ups for fun (usually involving Genesis because he's possibly the biggest Genesis fan I know).

I'd love to hear that mash-up!
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    I'd love to hear that mash-up!
    He sent me his multitrack of it and I literally just re-pitched the verses so it fit melodically but the repitching does have weird artifacts and I'd have to spend more time getting it just right... and that's exactly the moment you realize you have other things that are more important to do! haha. This is exactly what happened when I did my own remix. I thought I'd just take a few hours or so and it ended up taking me a few days. This didn't though. This is pure silly fun. He added Phil Collins singing Afterglow with the Cher Autotune effect on now at the end. It's total Prog nerd humor. I'll see if he wants it shared when he's done with it. I don't think it's meant to be public though. He just does things for fun that he'll play for people in his studio if they know what it is or send it to his brothers who all love Genesis and Steven Wilson too. BUT I don't think he'd actually want Genesis or Steven Wilson to hear it. Actually I don't think he'd care. I remember him playing one of his crazy mashups to Steve Hackett once in his studio and Steve was like "Right. Well..." But, Steve Hackett has a good sense of humor and he's the nicest musician in the music business arguably. I don't know how SW or Genesis or PG would react to it. Probably just think he's nuts.

Posted by Steven Wilson 45 minutes ago:

I want to take the opportunity to thank everyone for their incredible response to the invitation to create your own PERSONAL SHOPPER remix. We've had over 300 submissions! Which is incredible, but obviously it is going to take a while for me to listen to them all, and choose my favourites. What I have heard so far is just what I'd hoped - everyone taking a different approach, with some really creative ones and a few that are really twisted, love it! As soon as I can we will announce my 10 or so favourites and make these more widely available for everyone to listen to. There have also been 2-3 especially commissioned remixes from artists I admire, and I'll be releasing these online soon.

Well, these are the 8 remix chosen by Steven Wilson!
    http://thefuturebites.com/remix/

Unfortunately, it seems that many people (like me ) never had the mail from WeTransfer confirming the download. As many of us (I suppose) have standard WeTransfer accounts where files expire after just a week, many remixes have just never been downloaded (and heard, of course). I guess most professional musicians use Premium accounts in which files NEVER expire so you can download them anytime.

Just FYI, I've only used WeTransfer a couple of times in the past, but I did get the download confirmation e-mail. Now to find time to listen to the winning mixes...