Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters - new recording of Pink Floyd's "Mother"

Roger Waters - new recording of Pink Floyd's "Mother"

Roger Waters shared an isolation video of the Pink Floyd classic “Mother.” The video features Waters and members of his touring band performing from their own spaces: vocalists Holly Laesig and Jess Wolfe of Lucius, keyboardist Drew Erickson, guitarists Dave Kilminster and Jonathan Wilson, bassist Gus Seyffert and drummer Joey Waronker.

Edit: either that's Jon Carin on keys or he and Drew Erikson are long lost twins.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Edit: either that's Jon Carin on keys or he and Drew Erikson are long lost twins.
    Yeah - must be. Roger thanks a "Jon" at the end, and not a "Drew".

Cool. Too bad the dog didn't start howling, then we would have had a nice Pompeï-part two
    Also fun to see Roger's "talking" between lines.

Yeah, I think mouthed, "Absoluely!"

Hey guys, I thought I'd post a link to our band's recent video. Roger beat us by a matter of hours coincidentally Hope you like it....

Anyone see Roger's Facebook post regarding this video?
    https://www.facebook.com/rogerwaters...UwWDDGMCdh0kwz
    Last edited by happytheman; 05-19-2020 at 06:59 AM.

who do you think Roger is sending to hell silently at 2'00"?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    who do you think Roger is sending to hell silently at 2'00"?
    He's mouthing "No fucking way" which was projected onto the wall at the 2010-2013 shows and possibly he still did it on the US + THEM tour.

That was very nice, but wake me when he does a remake of Atom Heart Mother.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Thanks Dan. This just popped up in my YT feed and I found a lot of things Roger said interesting.
    Did he give up all legal rights to the name Pink Floyd, or what's going on with the website?
    I kept waiting for him to erupt into some type of typical Roger speak, but was surprised at his maturity and mellowness regarding the situation.

Shame they can't put the past behind them, but sometimes the past hurts so much it's hard to let go. But as difficult as it can be, letting go can be the healthiest thing both emotionally and spiritually that you can do, because "you can't carry that weight" a long time, it gets heavier the older you get.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I don't blame him for wanting in on the Floyd website. He had something to do with all but two albums, both of which are 25+ years old. I think he deserves to be cut in. But you know Dave...

How many other major bands do you know of that include former members activities on the official band website? Roger needs to let it go. David has every right to control what goes on the official band site and social channels. Why would he include Roger? Especially after how Roger left the band and took them to court. I love Roger but this sort of behaviour is just sad. Their music has given joy to so many and it kind of taints it by seeing how pathetic he's behaving in public towards his former band mate. And taking a swipe at David's wife is low (he may have a point but he should be above that).

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus74 View Post
    How many other major bands do you know of that include former members activities on the official band website? Roger needs to let it go. David has every right to control what goes on the official band site and social channels. Why would he include Roger?
    I imagine at this point in their lives it's all about legacy. And considering Roger had a hand in creating 90% of the PF music that is consumed by the public these days -- especially the stuff that gets played over and over and over again -- it's not unreasonable for him to think he deserves a place in the official band website. Even Yes has (or had -- it's been a while since I checked) a place for people to learn about former band members. Even the dead ones.

Or put it this way: 50 years from now, would it be right for a kid who discovers Wish You Were Here and then reads who was in the band in the liner notes to not find Roger Waters on PinkFloyd.com?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Well, both sides have valid arguments and in the end it doesn't really matter, but the "news" section of the PF website indeed often looks like David Gilmour and Polly Samson's personal pages. Well, an official site often reflects the views and the power of the "members who didn't leave". On the other hand, Waters is mentioned in the "Timeline" part of the site and his solo work is also mentioned. He has not been completely erased.
    It is a bit sad that these two cannot come to a common sense agreement on such things after having rebuilt bridges in the past decades, but people who are interested in PF in future times will probably find their way to balanced histories of the band.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I don't blame him for wanting in on the Floyd website. He had something to do with all but two albums, both of which are 25+ years old. I think he deserves to be cut in. But you know Dave...
    on top of it, Dave handles the legacy of a Floyd album he had no partake (Piper).

On the other hand, I can totally understand Dave being wary of Roger's moods and big (sometimes embarrassing and out-of-control) mouth. As the owner of Floyd, he wouldn't want Roger making an attack on BoJo, Donald Duck Trump or the chinese or korean leaders and ne mlegally responsible for it.

May be Nick should intervene to Dave, let Roger in, but also have the right to take things he put in out. I know it sounds like censorship, but Dave & Nick are calling the shots.

Looks like Roger was posting relatively drunk on his rant. He should also avoid that, not doing himself a favor.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Roger Waters whinging again in shock news story

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus74 View Post
    How many other major bands do you know of that include former members activities on the official band website?
    But the official band is kaput. There is no Pink Floyd anymore. Doesn't that make Gilmour also a former member?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

PF is a corporation, i would assume. One in which Gilmour and probably Mason are both "board members" but I suspect Waters isn't anymore.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

The Floyd site not covering Roger's activities isn't abnormal, though in a perfect world it would cover Roger at least as much as Dave's wife.

The Eagles' site doesn't cover any of Don Felder's activities, nor any other stuff outside of the band from current members.
    The Styx site doesn't cover any of Dennis DeYoung's activies, though it does mention stuff that Tommy Shaw does outside of Styx
    The Journey site doesn't cover any of Steve Perry's activities, nor any other stuff outside of the band from current members.
    The Yes site is all over the place; has mentions of releases by Steve Howe and Esquire (!) as well as interviews with Tony Kaye, but clearly no mention of recent activity from A, R, or W.
    The Tull site doesnt actively promote non-Ian news, but it does have a section devoted to all of the past members with links to their sites -so thats something.

IMHO it's largely a symbolic gesture anyway. Based on the performance of his past few tours, RW is clearly not missing out on audience due to his absence as part of the "official PF" online presence. His marketing/advertising reach, both paid and organic, is considerable and regardless of who is on the masthead of the proper site, his connection to their music and legacy is pretty damned well established.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    The Floyd site not covering Roger's activities isn't abnormal, though in a perfect world it would cover Roger at least as much as Dave's wife.

The Eagles' site doesn't cover any of Don Felder's activities, nor any other stuff outside of the band from current members.
    The Styx site doesn't cover any of Dennis DeYoung's activies, though it does mention stuff that Tommy Shaw does outside of Styx
    The Journey site doesn't cover any of Steve Perry's activities, nor any other stuff outside of the band from current members.
    The Yes site is all over the place; has mentions of releases by Steve Howe and Esquire (!) as well as interviews with Tony Kaye, but clearly no mention of recent activity from A, R, or W.
    The Tull site doesnt actively promote non-Ian news, but it does have a section devoted to all of the past members with links to their sites -so thats something.
    Ah, but she's a more recent contributing member of the band, having written the timeless lyrics for Louder than Words, and thus worthy of greater attention and focus for the PF fan community

(hurt my tongue pushing it so hard into my cheek, sorry)

I was digging his new cover of MOTHER, but his PF social media rant was awful and makes him sound not as smart as he likes to present himself. The only way his posts can show on anything PF official is for David to see it and share it. Former management don't get keys to the door.

I don't see Dream Theater broadcasting Mike Portnoy's news all day long. And that was HIS band!!!

not bad, everyone is saying he can't sing anymore- he sounded okay.