Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 68 of 68

Thread: Roger Waters - new recording of Pink Floyd's "Mother"

  1. #51
    The eons are closing
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    2,461
    Yes It's Frank - though it is a little Heinlein-y
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Interesting.

    I've heard it said that four-pieces (such as the Beatles, the Who, the Bangles, and Led Zeppelin) tend to fall into a pattern of "the smart one, the cute one, the quiet one, and the drummer." Can this be applied to Floyd, I wonder....?
    Actually, it's "the smart one, the cute one, the quiet one, and the funny one". In the case of Pink Floyd, I would say Nick is definitely the funny one. SUpposedly, at some point in the late 80's, he was asked what his worst nightmare would be and he responded "Roger rejoining the band". And some of his comments during the Nick Mason's A Saucerful Of Secrets shows I saw were great, e.g. his commentary about Vegetable Man ("Pink Floyd never played it live, Roger doesn't play it live, Dave doesn't play it live, Brit Floyd doesn't do it, the Australian Pink Floyd don't do it, the Spanish Pink Floyd don't do it, the French Pink Floyd don't do it, the Bulgarian Pink Floyd don't do it...actually, I'm not sure there is a Bulgarian Pink Floyd...but I feel safe in saying that we are the lone purveyors of that particular song!)

  3. #53
    H'mmmm. For some reason "the funny one" and "the drummer" seem, generally, to refer to the same person....
    Yemen hardly ever exports cookies.

  4. #54
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    2,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. It is one of the most iconic and beautiful songs from The Wall and is critical to setting the psychological background of Mr. Pink: the bricks that constitute the wall must be identified and understood before they can be annihilated. "Mother" resonates deeply with millions of fans because it expresses common social fears and anxieties that are all too part of being human.

    Music and art are of course, subjective, however I find this is in no sense of the word a dirge unless you really stretch it to mean the mourning of a lost childhood. John Lennon's "Mother" is much more a dirge than Water's, but it's wallowing and self-pity are powerfully cathartic and ultimately liberating.

    Regardless, anyone who has experienced trauma, or have themselves or have loved ones who have struggled with depression or other mental illness will doubtless be touched by this wonderful song and will feel great empathy with the protagonist, which is after all the point.
    So

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Actually, it's "the smart one, the cute one, the quiet one, and the funny one". In the case of Pink Floyd, I would say Nick is definitely the funny one. SUpposedly, at some point in the late 80's, he was asked what his worst nightmare would be and he responded "Roger rejoining the band". And some of his comments during the Nick Mason's A Saucerful Of Secrets shows I saw were great, e.g. his commentary about Vegetable Man ("Pink Floyd never played it live, Roger doesn't play it live, Dave doesn't play it live, Brit Floyd doesn't do it, the Australian Pink Floyd don't do it, the Spanish Pink Floyd don't do it, the French Pink Floyd don't do it, the Bulgarian Pink Floyd don't do it...actually, I'm not sure there is a Bulgarian Pink Floyd...but I feel safe in saying that we are the lone purveyors of that particular song!)
    Screenshot_20221123_092124.jpg

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    H'mmmm. For some reason "the funny one" and "the drummer" seem, generally, to refer to the same person....
    Hmm. I think if you'd said to John Bonham or Ginger Baker "you're a funny guy", the response would be very Pesci-ish.

  7. #57
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greater New York Area
    Posts
    14,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    How long did it take to get from Amused To Death to Is This The Life We Really Want? Waters works at a tortoise like pace that makes Peter Gabriel look like the hare. I would assume ITTLWRW is probably the last album of new material which is fine with me because it’s my favorite thing he’s done post Floyd.
    I'll have to give ITTLWRW a couple more listens! I've only listened to it a bit for some reason, which is weird because whenever any previous Waters album came out I was all over it. You're right about how Waters works, and the trickle of occasional odd tracks over the years, and unfortunately, Ca Ira too, are IMHO forgettable.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Hmm. I think if you'd said to John Bonham or Ginger Baker "you're a funny guy", the response would be very Pesci-ish.
    Cream was not a quartet. I suppose he's probably been in a quartet or two (wasn't Blind Faith one?), but when you say Ginger Baker, Cream is the first thing that comes to mind...
    Yemen hardly ever exports cookies.

  9. #59
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    5,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Cream was not a quartet. I suppose he's probably been in a quartet or two (wasn't Blind Faith one?), but when you say Ginger Baker, Cream is the first thing that comes to mind...
    Ginger would take offense at whatever you'd say to him. A "good day" would set that miserable bastard off.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  10. #60
    Member Rajaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    New Scotland, Canada
    Posts
    867
    RW has also released a new version of Comfortably Numb. At this rate, he might as well release a whole new Wall album. And he sure doesn't need the money like Carl Palmer does.

  11. #61
    Wow, that is a really powerful version... Don't quite see what the video has to do with it tho, except I guess emphasizing the darkness of the song...
    Yemen hardly ever exports cookies.

  12. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Wow, that is a really powerful version... Don't quite see what the video has to do with it tho, except I guess emphasizing the darkness of the song...
    The Comfortably Numb version? I found it boring and the opposite of powerful. But, we all have our own likes/dislikes.

  13. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Mother is a song I usually skip. What a weepy, wallowing, self-pitying dirge.
    I think maybe you’ve missed the point of the song, if that was your interpretation of it.

  14. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    11
    At 1:52 in the video Roger sings "mother should I trust the government", then mouths "no fucking way". Wow, he just gained 30 points with me. Governments are the biggest mass murderers of all time.

  15. #65
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    11,212
    I tend to view an artist doing re-recorded versions of their own songs late in their career as a prime indicator of "Jumped The Shark."

  16. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I tend to view an artist doing re-recorded versions of their own songs late in their career as a prime indicator of "Jumped The Shark."
    Roger jumped the shark when he tried to stop Gilmour, Mason and Wright from using the Pink Floyd name.

  17. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I tend to view an artist doing re-recorded versions of their own songs late in their career as a prime indicator of "Jumped The Shark."
    I tend to agree:

    "Here is a newly re-recorded version of one of our popular songs!"

    "Here is a new acoustic version of one our popular songs!"

    "Here is a new version of one of our popular songs... with orchestra!"

  18. #68
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    4,506
    ^ I wouldn't lay the blame for that sort of thing entirely on the artist. It's also down to the audiences who make an artist feel like his old hits are all he has to offer. I'm sure Roger Waters gets a far bigger reaction at his shows doing songs from The Wall than anything he's done in the last four decades. I've been to Jethro Tull shows where the audience continued to yell for "Aqualung" even after it had already been played.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •