Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters - new recording of Pink Floyd's "Mother"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    The Floyd site not covering Roger's activities isn't abnormal, though in a perfect world it would cover Roger at least as much as Dave's wife.

The Eagles' site doesn't cover any of Don Felder's activities, nor any other stuff outside of the band from current members.
    The Styx site doesn't cover any of Dennis DeYoung's activies, though it does mention stuff that Tommy Shaw does outside of Styx
    The Journey site doesn't cover any of Steve Perry's activities, nor any other stuff outside of the band from current members.
    The Yes site is all over the place; has mentions of releases by Steve Howe and Esquire (!) as well as interviews with Tony Kaye, but clearly no mention of recent activity from A, R, or W.
    The Tull site doesnt actively promote non-Ian news, but it does have a section devoted to all of the past members with links to their sites -so thats something.
    Of course, those are all active bands.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    But the official band is kaput. There is no Pink Floyd anymore. Doesn't that make Gilmour also a former member?
    David Gilmour won exclusive name rights to "Pink Floyd" in court, which of course would include pinkfloyd.com. Big money in the name alone, aside from individual song royalties which still get split up according to whomever is listed as composer(s) for songs.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    David Gilmour won exclusive name rights to "Pink Floyd" in court, which of course would include pinkfloyd.com. Big money in the name alone, aside from individual song royalties which still get split up according to whomever is listed as composer(s) for songs.
    Weren’t the rights shared with Mason? My recollection, which could well be wrong, was that the partnership was formed between Gilmour and Mason for AMLOR, which Waters challenged in court, and lost, whilst Wright was the band “hired hand”.

There's a long and bitter thread on this over at Hoffman. I skimmed the last few pages. Apparently Roger does still have some say in certain musical decisions regarding the band's legacy/output. I love the guy's work but damn he can be a pain. Also, regarding politics, Roger and David are quite in agreement. Not sure about Mason.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    There's a long and bitter thread on this over at Hoffman. I skimmed the last few pages. Apparently Roger does still have some say in certain musical decisions regarding the band's legacy/output. I love the guy's work but damn he can be a pain. Also, regarding politics, Roger and David are quite in agreement. Not sure about Mason.
    Waters and Gilmour are not in agreement about politics at all, whilst Mason keeps his trap shut.

The best analogy I read about this was when AMLOR was released, and Gilmour was described as a typical British middle class left of centre Guardian reader. That is about the last thing you can describe Waters as.

Furthermore, Gilmour is on record more than once as describing The Wall as a “bit of a rant”.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Now there's a new version of Comfortably Numb on Spotify, called "Comfortably Numb 2022." Yawn. No new songs then?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Now there's a new version of Comfortably Numb on Spotify, called "Comfortably Numb 2022." Yawn. No new songs then?
    There are already a bazillion versions of CN out there on official releases from PF, RW and DG, not to mention covers by other artists, it is interesting to hear it in a very stripped-down version. RW replaced the guitar solo with a vocal solo. I like it and applaud the effort in trying something new.
    Last edited by Tangram; 11-18-2022 at 03:53 PM.

1. That's the best voice I've heard from Waters since, well, a long time, anyway; good on him for not trying to hit the high notes.
    2. It's a very emotionally powerful performance by all, especially for the way it was recorded.
    3. What rant? He seemed calm and rational through the whole "Announcement," even if (given Gilmour's attitude on the matter) he was kind of asking for the Moon.

Gilmour has advertised himself as "the voice of Pink Floyd." I think Waters should advertise himself as "the brain of Pink Floyd." None of the post-Waters Floyd, nor of Gilmour's solo stuff, reaches the emotional and intellectual depths of Waters's lyrics.

IMHO, IMHO.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Gilmour has advertised himself as "the voice of Pink Floyd." I think Waters should advertise himself as "the brain of Pink Floyd." None of the post-Waters Floyd, nor of Gilmour's solo stuff, reaches the emotional and intellectual depths of Waters's lyrics.

IMHO, IMHO.
    Mine, too.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Gilmour is the voice, Waters was the brain, Mason was the heart, and Wright was the wash of color and sound. Pink Floyd was always greater together than apart.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

IMHO, IMHO.
    And IM Not-So HO !

Gilmour is the voice, Waters was the brain, Mason was the heart, and Wright was the wash of color and sound. Pink Floyd was always greater together than apart.
    a fair assessment, IMHO
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    How long did it take to get from Amused To Death to Is This The Life We Really Want? Waters works at a tortoise like pace that makes Peter Gabriel look like the hare. I would assume ITTLWRW is probably the last album of new material which is fine with me because it’s my favorite thing he’s done post Floyd.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    And the new “Comfortably Numb” has this doomy post apocalyptic video. Is anybody else as bored with post apocalyptic as I am?
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Interesting.

I've heard it said that four-pieces (such as the Beatles, the Who, the Bangles, and Led Zeppelin) tend to fall into a pattern of "the smart one, the cute one, the quiet one, and the drummer." Can this be applied to Floyd, I wonder....?

The classic line up was the smart one and three quiet ones!
    The cute one had only stayed in the band for one album!

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    And the new “Comfortably Numb” has this doomy post apocalyptic video. Is anybody else as bored with post apocalyptic as I am?
    Yes. And, frankly the “brain” seems to me to be trying to find a way to make one of their most iconic songs more about the words than the music - which is true for much of The Wall (good and bad). I’m sure it is a coincidence that it happens to be a song that is known as much (more, really) for the guitar as the lyrics. Just a guess, but I’d say it irritates Waters that Gilmour’s imprint is so clear on a song he only sings a bit of.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I don't mind post apocalyptic but this one was extremely boring.
    I don't find any redeeming factor to this version, it seems like its only purpose is "let's erase Gilmour's contribution"

I've not seen the "Comfortably Numb" video, but I like postapocalyptic. It's educational and prepares our children for the world of the future.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Mother is a song I usually skip. What a weepy, wallowing, self-pitying dirge.

The eons are closing
    I've not seen the "Comfortably Numb" video, but I like postapocalyptic. It's educational and prepares our children for the world of the future.
    Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Mother is a song I usually skip. What a weepy, wallowing, self-pitying dirge.
    I couldn't disagree more. It is one of the most iconic and beautiful songs from The Wall and is critical to setting the psychological background of Mr. Pink: the bricks that constitute the wall must be identified and understood before they can be annihilated. "Mother" resonates deeply with millions of fans because it expresses common social fears and anxieties that are all too part of being human.

Music and art are of course, subjective, however I find this is in no sense of the word a dirge unless you really stretch it to mean the mourning of a lost childhood. John Lennon's "Mother" is much more a dirge than Water's, but it's wallowing and self-pity are powerfully cathartic and ultimately liberating.

Regardless, anyone who has experienced trauma, or have themselves or have loved ones who have struggled with depression or other mental illness will doubtless be touched by this wonderful song and will feel great empathy with the protagonist, which is after all the point.

^^^Well, of course, The Wall is kind of a weepy, wallowing, and self-pitying album.

It's still great, though not Floyd's best by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.
    Great quote. Sounds kind of like Heinlein, but I don't think it is. Who is it?

Great quote. Sounds kind of like Heinlein, but I don't think it is. Who is it?
    Looks like it was Frank Herbert.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. It is one of the most iconic and beautiful songs from The Wall and is critical to setting the psychological background of Mr. Pink: the bricks that constitute the wall must be identified and understood before they can be annihilated. "Mother" resonates deeply with millions of fans because it expresses common social fears and anxieties that are all too part of being human.

Music and art are of course, subjective, however I find this is in no sense of the word a dirge unless you really stretch it to mean the mourning of a lost childhood. John Lennon's "Mother" is much more a dirge than Water's, but it's wallowing and self-pity are powerfully cathartic and ultimately liberating.

Regardless, anyone who has experienced trauma, or have themselves or have loved ones who have struggled with depression or other mental illness will doubtless be touched by this wonderful song and will feel great empathy with the protagonist, which is after all the point.
    Great reply. The Lennon comparison is interesting. Although, his song was more therapeutic.