Thread: Weather Report in London

Weather Report in London

Some of the streaming services are running a new album from Weather Report, ‘Live in London’, but I cannot find any information on the websites about it. From the setlist – Corner Pocket, Unknown, Fast City, Where the Moon Goes, Drum Solo, Where the Moon Goes, Part 2 – it looks like it comes from the period of Sportin’ Life. Prior to Sportin’ Life’s release in 1985 I was underwhelmed by a Weather Report concert at the Dominion Theatre in London (June 26, 1984). It was the singing that put me right off, but I also felt the band lacked any enthusiasm (having seen their fiery 1975 concert at the New Victoria Theatre in London). Does anyone know if this ‘Live in London’ concert was recorded at the Dominion in 1984.
    The more you know you know you don't know what you know

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Yes, that's what I kept getting. But nothing for June 26, 1984. It was most probably hot - although Weather Report were pretty lukewarm!

It sounds like a radio broadcast. 1984 was the only tour where they played "Corner Pocket" so that likely is the correct date. I think the "unknown" song is "Blue Sound - Note 3" from Domino Theory.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    It sounds like a radio broadcast. 1984 was the only tour where they played "Corner Pocket" so that likely is the correct date. I think the "unknown" song is "Blue Sound - Note 3" from Domino Theory.
    Thanks. That’s good to know. Listening back now, it seems like the rhythm section did all of the heavy lifting that evening. There was also a long solo from the percussionist – presumably Mino Cinelu – that never made it on to ‘Live in London’.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I only sampled a bit of it so far, but it sounds like it. The '83 version had a lot of very cheesy synth doubling what Shorter was playing. I think I prefer this version. I guess if this was an "official" release they would have gone to the trouble of identifying the tracks.

Edit:

Another good one from this era would be what's on Youtube:

I think this came out on VHS and Laserdisc as "Japan Domino Theory". There was also a very brief video release called "The Evolutionary Spiral" from the same tour.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 05-17-2020 at 07:12 PM.