Thread: Astrid Kirchherr dies

"Intelligent, inspirational, innovative, daring, artistic, awake, aware, beautiful, smart, loving and uplifting friend to many," Beatles historian Mark Lewisohn tweeted. "Her gift to the Beatles was immeasurable ... ".

Rest in Peace Astrid!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Rest in Peace Astrid. And thanks for helping them in getting started

One of the great preservers of modern history.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

RIP Astrid.

Astrid was a shining light and innovator that made a substantial impact on how pop culture changed in the 1960's. Her gift to the Beatles was also a gift to society. And because of her we learned so much more about original Beatles bassist Stuart Sutcliffe. And the tragic story of the deep love that blossomed between Astrid and Stuart is still heart wrenching to this day. If you never viewed the 1994 film Backbeat, do so. It's about the Beatles early days in Hamburg, and also heavily focuses on the relation between Astrid and Stuart. Astrid herself was a consultant on the film, and she praised it for its accuracy. Paul McCartney also praised actor Stephan Dorff as Sutcliffe. Be forewarned...the film is very good and can make you cry. Also of interest is the BBC documentary made a few years ago on the life of Stuart Sutcliffe, which IMO was also excellent.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Yrwyfk2NQ&t=102s

I sincerely hope that someplace, somewhere that Astrid and Stuart are again together. Obviously two beautiful souls that even for a short time experienced what all humans desire, true love.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

^^^

I added Backbeat to my Netflix queue today, it looks really good. I will watch be BBC documentary too. As a kid I had a really nice book on The Beatles, which I still have, and Astrid is mentioned a lot in the early years. She definitely made an impression on me. I hope she had a wonderful life, she was definitely a part of something special and did special things in her own right. Thank you Astrid!

Bill

RIP. Beautiful girl.

So sad to hear this

I watched Backbeat in the cinema, while living in Hamburg, this is as close you can get to the Beatles's early days as you can imagine, an amazing film, and after a short while you start to see the Beatles as they were, the casting is simply incredible, Astrid loved the film, Macca was't happy to be portrayed softer in character.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    ^^^

I added Backbeat to my Netflix queue today, it looks really good. I will watch be BBC documentary too. As a kid I had a really nice book on The Beatles, which I still have, and Astrid is mentioned a lot in the early years. She definitely made an impression on me. I hope she had a wonderful life, she was definitely a part of something special and did special things in her own right. Thank you Astrid!

Bill
    It's days later, and I'm still thinking about Astrid. My thoughts to myself are that if it wasn't for Astrid, and others like her, the world wouldn't be the way it is today. Society in general made a great leap forward in the 1960's. Men's long hair and music were a major catalyst of that change. And I hope she will always be remembered for being a major player to that change. Even her Bohemian lifestyle, as depicted in the film Backbeat, was way ahead of Astrid and her friends time, and was an early example of the Hippie movement and the philosophy behind it. I'm not surprised that they made this film into a play, since the story is so fascinating. But the story of Astrid and Stuart keeps pulling at my heart strings. It truly unfolds like a Greek Tragedy or a Shakespearean play. She talks about Stuart in her 2010 interview for NPR. And many times you can see her about to tear up when discussing Stuart. It's also a must watch. Sometimes you wonder how many stories exist that are similar in society, but the stories are unknown?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39qqW7z8dAk

If interested, it's actually the BBC doc on Stuart where you see Astrid almost cry. Love is sweet. Ah...but can also be so sad and cruel.
    Last edited by AncientChord; 1 Week Ago at 06:02 PM.

RIP & thank you so much!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Paul McCartney finally broke his silence about Astrid's death. I do hope that Paul is not getting senile as he states that Astrid and Stuart married. Very tragic that death came to Stuart Sutcliffe before being wed to Astrid. They were engaged. Again a true Greek Tragedy and/or a Shakespearean play.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/cele...rr/ar-BB14r5SM

I saw a FB post form Paul two days ago about it.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie