Thread: Etron Fou Leloublan

Etron Fou Leloublan

Well, I have no idea if there's already an Etron thread, because I can't access the search function, because the list of page numbers of past threads obscures the search window, but anyway, listening to the old 43 Songs set, which was the early 90's reissue with all 5 of their studio albums on it. It's been a long time since I've listened to this, probably close to 20 years. I think I'm enjoying it more now than I remember from back when I first heard it. Certainly, I like the first two albums (which is what I've listened to so far).

Some years back, I grabbed some Etron shows off Dimeadozen, from their 82 US tour, one of which was recorded here in Cleveland, at a place called the Pop Rock. I should dig those out and listen to them too.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    the old 43 Songs set
    A fab where to start, although I always felt that it confused a couple of issues.

Back in the early 90s when I started exploring Rock-in-Opposition, Etron Fou's records were still fairly cheap to come by. I got Les Poumons Gonfles and Les Sillons de la Terre from a German retailer (I believe?), and they are both displays of spectacularly original and at time ultra-virtuoso, eccentric avant-garde rock. Of all the bands I encountered in my quest towards enlightenment as to "progressive" and the wide variety of developments therein, they were among the most shockingly brilliant.

I remember having a locally-renowned rock drummer over for drinks in '94 and playing him "Exposition Universelle", seeing how his jaw dropped absolutely. He discovered John French and Chris Cutler afterwards.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

3 of my favorite tracks

I bought Les Sillons de la Terre from These Records in the early ‘90’s, on the strength of the Fred Frith connection, and absolutely loved it.
    What a remarkable band.

I've had Sillons de la Terre and Les Poumons Gonfles since back in the day, and I picked up a vinyl reissue of the first album a couple of years ago. But I just recently realized that I didn't own the 43 Songs CD set, which I could have sworn I had, and so I've never owned Les Trois Fous. I've finally rectified that by scoring an original copy which arrived Thursday.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    A fab where to start, although I always felt that it confused a couple of issues.
    What do you feel got confused there?

For me, the original LP's weren't an option. Sure, if you're in Europe, or a place like NYC or LA, all sorts of obscure and rare European weirdo art rock records turn up all the time. Actually, come to thikn of it, a few good things did fall into my hands here in the backwaters of Northeastern Ohio...Le Orme, Finch, Amon Duul II, Magma, etc. But before I started getting the Wayside catalog, I sure didn't know anything about RIO. If any Etron passed through the used record stacks at the stores I shopped at, I either didn't see it, or it was here one day, and then gone so quicky that I don't remember seeing it. There's certain records I do remember not buying, because they sat there long enough that I remember seeing the cover artwork on several successive visits (Art Zoyd's Phase IV was one such item), but Etron Fou doesn't fall into that category.

So really for me, 43 Songs was the only game in town, as even after I got online, I wasn't inclined to go hunting for records whose existence I only just barely knew about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    I bought Les Sillons de la Terre from These Records in the early ‘90’s, on the strength of the Fred Frith connection, and absolutely loved it.
    What a remarkable band.
    I hope you saw my post about the Etrons in the UZED thread.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Banned
    For whatever reason, this is a band I loved on first listen. If my French was worth a damn I'd love them even more. Maybe I'm nutz, but if I made one of those stupid lists "Greatest Rhythm Sections of All Time" this band would be somewhere on it for me!

P.S. That was a great story Steve. Reminds me of going to see my favorite band at the time Jethro Tull, and being more blown away by the opening act of which I'd never heard - Gentle Giant! Those were the days...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I sure did. It was fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I payed my respects there.

What a band. The closest one ever came to Beefheart magic.