Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: R.I.P. Phil May of the Pretty Things

  1. #1
    Member progholio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    st louis
    Posts
    613

    RIP Phil May

    I consider SF Sorrow a desert island album, their 1999 comeback album Rage Before Beauty pretty damn good too!. At least the band got a great send off at the end of 2018 with their farewell concert.

    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-rgEENRpQU4y1M

  2. #2
    I'm glad a I caught him live a couple of times. A pioneer.

    RIP.
    Macht das ohr auf!

    COSMIC EYE RECORDS

  3. #3
    Member adap2it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    873

    R.I.P. Phil May of the Pretty Things

    Another one bites the dust! I met Phil a couple of times in the early 60's...always lived on the edge. A great singer and I gave the Pretty Things new respect on hearing the classic album SF SORROW, an absolute masterpiece!
    Dave Sr.

    I prefer Nature to Human Nature

  4. #4
    R.I.P.
    Terrific front man, singer and performer.

  5. #5
    Member Paulrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Left Coast
    Posts
    1,364
    Bugger. RIP.

    Just a couple years ago...




    And back in the day (check out Twink)...

    Last edited by Paulrus; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:39 PM.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Divided Snakes of America
    Posts
    1,982
    Well if he lived on the edge I suppose 75 years is a good run. S.F. Sorrow is a top-drawer album for me. RIP.

  7. #7
    All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,475
    Sad News. Longtime fan of the PrettyThings. Rest in peace.
    if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

  8. #8
    This is sad,
    I think the Pretty Things are very underrated, they should have filled stadiums but instead their last tour (which I was extremely fortunate to see) was held in small clubs... go figure.
    Just less than 2 years ago Phil was raising the roof:



    RIP

  9. #9
    Member adap2it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    This is sad,
    I think the Pretty Things are very underrated, they should have filled stadiums but instead their last tour (which I was extremely fortunate to see) was held in small clubs... go figure.
    Just less than 2 years ago Phil was raising the roof:



    RIP
    The second half of this tune with OLD MAN GOING is awesome!
    Dave Sr.

    I prefer Nature to Human Nature

  10. #10

  11. #11
    Wow, this is a hard one.

    Stupendous frontman and - given a rather one-dimensional voice to start with - a versatile performer. Taken as one of the main antecedents of garage-rock, the Pretty Things were almost ridiculously influential. Together with the Stones and the Yardbirds - The Who not being very well known in the US at the time - they exerted substantial influence on developments.

    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,076
    'Rosalyn' is such an explosive debut, especially when you look at The Rolling Stones' and The Kinks' fairly tepid debut singles. And they pretty seamlessly moved into more sophisticated territory by the later 60s.

  13. #13
    Member adap2it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'Rosalyn' is such an explosive debut, especially when you look at The Rolling Stones' and The Kinks' fairly tepid debut singles. And they pretty seamlessly moved into more sophisticated territory by the later 60s.
    I'm afraid I don't agree with this..
    Dave Sr.

    I prefer Nature to Human Nature

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,076
    What is it you don't agree with??? I certainly don't think 'Come On' or 'Long Tall Sally' are anywhere near as good as 'Rosalyn' and you've already praised SF Sorrow.

  15. #15
    Member adap2it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    What is it you don't agree with??? I certainly don't think 'Come On' or 'Long Tall Sally' are anywhere near as good as 'Rosalyn' and you've already praised SF Sorrow.
    I am a little biased..I am of age to say "I was there" I knew the Pretty Things personally and always regarded them as Rolling Stones impersonators...Phil & Mick were from the same town and shared a competitive spirit...I thought Rosalyn & Dont Bring Me Down were crap at the time. I loved Chuck Berry, so Come On was magic for me...I took my baby home was a B side that I had a copy on a the first Kinks album..I didn't think it was great but it was what was being played at the time. You Really Got Me...that really got me! I never heard anything from the Pretty Things until SFS, and what can you say about that, brilliant! I could not believe it was the Pretty Things.
    Dave Sr.

    I prefer Nature to Human Nature

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,076
    ^Fair enough! (I do at least like the Stones' BBC session version of 'Come On'.)

    I like the snotty attitude of those early Pretty Things singles, and much later David Bowie covered them on Pin-Ups. I probably heard those Bowie covers before the originals.

  17. #17
    Member adap2it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Wow, this is a hard one.

    Stupendous frontman and - given a rather one-dimensional voice to start with - a versatile performer. Taken as one of the main antecedents of garage-rock, the Pretty Things were almost ridiculously influential. Together with the Stones and the Yardbirds - The Who not being very well known in the US at the time - they exerted substantial influence on developments.

    That's a great track from a great album...I believed that they were on a real progressive roll in 1970, however my hopes were dashed when I bought Freeway Madness.
    Dave Sr.

    I prefer Nature to Human Nature

  18. #18
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    4,253
    RIP. I love SF Sorrow but the followup, Parachute, got album of the year from Rolling Stone magazine. If they had only been able to keep up the streak.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  19. #19
    Member adap2it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    RIP. I love SF Sorrow but the followup, Parachute, got album of the year from Rolling Stone magazine. If they had only been able to keep up the streak.
    In retrospect, regarding SF SORROW, I can see a huge Beatles / Moody Blues influence, however the writing is top notch and played by top notch musicians
    Dave Sr.

    I prefer Nature to Human Nature

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Iowa City IA
    Posts
    1,478
    I've been kicking myself for 20 years for not going to see the 1999 reunion tour in Los Angeles. I think it was at the House of Blues. Heavily promoted too so I have no one to blame but me... While I did not know the early PT material at all (and still don't for the most part), SF Sorrow is a masterpiece and I subsequently found out they played a lot of it. Well RIP.

  21. #21
    Member adap2it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    873
    The last time I saw Phil was with the Pretty Things / Yardbirds Blues Band in the early 90's
    Dave Sr.

    I prefer Nature to Human Nature

  22. #22
    Progga mogrooves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Past
    Posts
    1,895
    A pretty tuff UK R&B group early on, loud, fast, and bratty. And the hair; even longer than the Hullabaloos!

    Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    SF Sorrow
    ...and Parachute

    RIP
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

  23. #23
    I've played SF Sorrow so many times, and consider it one of the best 60's albums. Surely ahead of its time in many aspects.

    I hardly know any of their other material, but listening to Parachute now and it sounds like a pretty great record to me.

    RIP Phil May

  24. #24
    Member adap2it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I've played SF Sorrow so many times, and consider it one of the best 60's albums. Surely ahead of its time in many aspects.

    I hardly know any of their other material, but listening to Parachute now and it sounds like a pretty great record to me.

    RIP Phil May
    As I wrote in an earlier post, after Parachute, they released Freeway Madness, which was back to straight ahead rock. Phil, like another Phil, "liked the ladies" and realized that most of the audiences were guys.
    Dave Sr.

    I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •