Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Stuff People Buy

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Almost as stupid as cigarettes, is that people buy Reiki sessions.
    I used to buy candy cigarettes. I guess I'm as stupid as anyone else.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Even more stupid. At least cigarettes can be enjoyed, though they are bad for your health.
    Cigarettes create an illusion of relaxation. They start a fire (the nicotine craving,) then they put the fire out (by sating that craving when the smoker lights up,) which brings the smoker back to where he/she was before. Fake relaxation. With the hugely damaging health considerations, odor stained clothes, and exorbitant cost, cigarettes are the grandaddy king of stupid.

Cigarettes create an illusion of relaxation. They start a fire (the nicotine craving,) then they put the fire out (by sating that craving when the smoker lights up,) which brings the smoker back to where he/she was before. Fake relaxation. With the hugely damaging health considerations, odor stained clothes, and exorbitant cost, cigarettes are the grandaddy king of stupid.
    That can be said for all smoking.

Completely agreed. If you need nicotine or THC, there are better ways to get either than lighting up.

Mmmmm, brownies...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Truth!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

This month is the 7 year anniversary of when I was finally able to quit. In addition to what you cited, I haven't had to stand out in 115 degree heat just to have a cigarette. I haven't been stuck somewhere smoking isn't allowed, jonesing for a cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    This month is the 7 year anniversary of when I was finally able to quit. In addition to what you cited, I haven't had to stand out in 115 degree heat just to have a cigarette. I haven't been stuck somewhere smoking isn't allowed, jonesing for a cigarette.
    Congratulations, and kudos to you.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    This month is the 7 year anniversary of when I was finally able to quit.
    Congrats!
    In addition to what you cited, I haven't had to stand out in 115 degree heat just to have a cigarette.
    Yikes!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Metal Machine Music

Operation:Mindcrime II

Less said the better.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I used to buy candy cigarettes. I guess I'm as stupid as anyone else.
    Well, they never had candy matches or candy lighters when you needed them.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    politicians
    Oh I think that is money well spent for some
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Well, they never had candy matches or candy lighters when you needed them.
    But if I stood outside in the rain to have one, it melted before I finished it.

I graduated from candy cigs to candy marijuana cigs...... it's money well spent.

And of course, the latest gadget to separate us old folks from our money.......

Kopi luwak coffee
    Crystal-infused water
    “Alkaline” water
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Crystal-infused water
    “Alkaline” water
    These reminded me of laundry balls and disks that were touted as environmental saviors. For up to $75 apiece they promised to wash your clothes clean without the use of detergent. They supposedly ionized water so that the smaller water particles alone would penetrate the dirty clothes better. Turns out they were completely bogus. They didn't ionize water and once the built-up detergent in clothes was used up, clothes stayed dingy and stained.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    These reminded me of laundry balls and disks that were touted as environmental saviors. For up to $75 apiece they promised to wash your clothes clean without the use of detergent. They supposedly ionized water so that the smaller water particles alone would penetrate the dirty clothes better. Turns out they were completely bogus. They didn't ionize water and once the built-up detergent in clothes was used up, clothes stayed dingy and stained.
    When we bought our Asko washer and dryer ( super high efficiency front load Swedish brand ) 26 years ago, they recommended using no detergent with the first load of laundry because the old top load units were so poor at rinsing the soap out.
    Sure enough, we had lots of suds that first time.

Back on track - Crystal deodorant ( seriously, rock crystals ), not terribly effective according to those around the user of such products.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

^ It aligns their chakras but they still stink.

I've run into those "miracle water' salesmen. One claimed that the special ionization process super-oxygenated the water. When I pressed him for what he meant by "super-oxygenated" and explained that his water contained "a higher concentration of oxygen". I pressed him further and said, "simply put, it contains more oxygen molecules". I reminded him of the 'formula' for water was H2O and that adding additional oxygen molecules would make it something other than water. He left thinking I was the one that was confused. He returned a couple of days later to amend his original claim, that "super-oxygenated" meant that the oxygenation process resulted in "smaller molecules that were more easily absorbed into the bloodstream". He still couldn't believe I was taking a hard pass and gave me some names of my neighbors who were buying from him. I told him he was violating their trust by doing that, so he left.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Back on track - Crystal deodorant ( seriously, rock crystals ), not terribly effective according to those around the user of such products.
    it's a proven fact that if you boil pure crystals, along with beef, beef stock, potatoes, carrots, onions, parsley and spices, it makes a decent beef stew.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    it's a proven fact that if you boil pure crystals, along with beef, beef stock, potatoes, carrots, onions, parsley and spices, it makes a decent beef stew.
    That would be stone soup. Dee-lish!
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    That would be stone soup. Dee-lish!
    Depends of the crystals. I would use salt-crystals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Piffle. Scrapple is, yes, made from parts of the pig you don't want to think about - just like any pork sausage. It is also the most delicious food to come out of the Pennsylvania Dutch country (and, yes, that includes sticky-buns and shoo-fly pie).
    Scrapple with maple syrup ain't too bad IMHO--- Get Awt Naw (PA Dutch for That's Incredible)

Another latest gimmick is "churned ice cream." It's heavily marketed as "light and fluffy," but it's really replacing much of the real ice cream with air.