Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Stuff People Buy

Yes. The thing about churned ice cream is you can eat a whole pint of it for about the same calories as a single serving of the Good Stuff. My wife tried it and said it makes her feel as satisfied as eating a pint of the Good Stuff. I tried it and hated it, it had no mouth feel.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Yes. The thing about churned ice cream is you can eat a whole pint of it for about the same calories as a single serving of the Good Stuff. My wife tried it and said it makes her feel as satisfied as eating a pint of the Good Stuff. I tried it and hated it, it had no mouth feel.
    Yep, no body to it. Just another gimmick.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I tried that Halo ice cream - let's just say the effect was not unlike the prep for a colonoscopy. Back to Ben and Jerry's.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I picked up a Cuisinart ice cream maker at the Goodwill fairly cheap. It works really well but you should cut back on the amount of sugar in their recipes.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

^^ Ah memories! As a kid, we spent many summer days on the back patio, hand cranking an ice cream maker.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Any other stupid things out there one can buy?
    A wad of gum chewed by Gene Simmons once sold for nearly $250,000 on ebay:

https://www.thewrap.com/gene-simmons...tioned-245000/

I once witnessed someone pay $100 for an empty peanut butter jar. It was a hundred years old, but hundred year-old garbage is still garbage IMO.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    There's people on-line selling empty beer cans as collectors items, bizarre
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    A wad of gum chewed by Gene Simmons once sold for nearly $250,000 on ebay:

https://www.thewrap.com/gene-simmons...tioned-245000/

I once witnessed someone pay $100 for an empty peanut butter jar. It was a hundred years old, but hundred year-old garbage is still garbage IMO.
    Signed Mike Trout baseball card, opening bids will start at one million dollars.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That has to be sarcasm.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nope, limited release craft beers.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Nope, limited release craft beers.
    You do know about BCCA, beer can collecting as a hobby, and the like? We did it as kids. Glad we didn't stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Signed Mike Trout baseball card, opening bids will start at one million dollars.
    A rare LeBron James rookie card recently sold at auction for $1.8M. But sports cards have a long established history as collectables, like rare coins, stamps, comic books, and records.

Food waste, on the other hand, is not something I would have ever guessed there could be a market for.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    A rare LeBron James rookie card recently sold at auction for $1.8M. But sports cards have a long established history as collectables, like rare coins, stamps, comic books, and records.

Food waste, on the other hand, is not something I would have ever guessed there could be a market for.
    If it is old and rare, it might be collectable.

Or how about pieces of toast with an image of Jesus burned into them?

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Or how about pieces of toast with an image of Jesus burned into them?
    Perhaps, but if you buy one within the next 24 hours, we'll give you a second one for free. All you have to do is pay a separate handling fee.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I have a full six-pack of Billy Beer. About 30 years ago, people were offering to sell full six-packs for $3000.00. Never heard of any takers. I've keep mine out of nostalgia. Think it sold for less than $8 a case when first available. Not good beer even by late 70s standards.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I have a full six-pack of Billy Beer. About 30 years ago, people were offering to sell full six-packs for $3000.00.
    Well, they were trying to sell them for $3000.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I have a full six-pack of Billy Beer. About 30 years ago, people were offering to sell full six-packs for $3000.00. Never heard of any takers. I've keep mine out of nostalgia. Think it sold for less than $8 a case when first available. Not good beer even by late 70s standards.
    Well, they were trying to sell them for $3000.
    To quote Pawn Star Rick Harrison, there's often a wide gap between what people ask online, and what people actually pay.

So another $1200 stimulus check possibly on its way. What will you buy? Better beer, restock the vodka, $20 wine instead of $10 wine? New audio equipment or instrument, new golf clubs, a nice dinner out with the wife? A vacation to nowhere? Big screen TV, new cellphone?

Or will it go to something it is actually intended for like paying down the credit card, or mortgage or school debt?

Do you need it at this point? If you do, I pray for your well being and future. It may be a long road. If you don't need it will you give it to a charity, or better yet someone local to you who really needs it, or to buy something stupid?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I’m gonna use mine to replenish the toilet paper castle and bottled water tower!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Supplies and savings. Cold, COVID, and flu season is going to be long and NASTY! Gird your loins for the long haul.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    To quote Pawn Star Rick Harrison, there's often a wide gap between what people ask online, and what people actually pay.
    Indeed. I have a relative who's really into antiques. He often says, "This is worth this much," or "That is worth that much." I've retorted, "Did you sell it?" Answer: "No." Well then it's worth nothing, because it's only worth what someone will pay you for it, and then you don't have it anymore. Or it's only worth what you paid for it.

Must confess, however, I'm the same way about record albums. "I bought this for $1.57 at Woolworth's in 1969. Now it's on eBay for $100.00." Or more often than not, I paid a $1.57 in 1969 and now in 2020 it's still going for $1.57 on eBay.
    Last edited by Lopez; 07-27-2020 at 08:49 AM.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    So another $1200 stimulus check possibly on its way. What will you buy? Better beer, restock the vodka, $20 wine instead of $10 wine? New audio equipment or instrument, new golf clubs, a nice dinner out with the wife? A vacation to nowhere? Big screen TV, new cellphone?

Or will it go to something it is actually intended for like paying down the credit card, or mortgage or school debt?

Do you need it at this point? If you do, I pray for your well being and future. It may be a long road. If you don't need it will you give it to a charity, or better yet someone local to you who really needs it, or to buy something stupid?
    I'm going to invest it wisely......................on some Franklin Mint coins, and Royal Family dinner ware.

Already mentioned this in a parallel thread: prior to the quarantine, I was in a local bookstore that also sold music, and they had [pre-recorded] cassettes on sale for $7-8 each! Stupid hipsters!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

On Amazon I found a diary for students for 2018-2019. Yes, that is really someyhing one can use.