Thread: R.I.P. Moon Martin

R.I.P. Moon Martin

Producer Craig Leon posted this on his Facebook:

R.I.P. John "Moon" Martin. John was an extremely talented singer songwriter. I produced a couple of his albums in the 70s . Though we had a couple of mid chart hits like "Rolene" , "Bad Case of Loving You"is arguably his best known song. It's known from Robert Palmer's note for note cover of John's original. Cheers...JM

A fun song that I always liked from 1979 that was a Top 40 hit:

And this one got a ton of play on MTV in their early days:

I used to have an album by a band called Southwind in which Moon Martin played. Wasn't bad. I haven't heard his name in years. I like the hit "Bad Case of Loving You." Likewise, I haven't heard it in years.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

This is a great interview with Moon. Martin talks about his first band, The Disciples (formed in Norman, OK when he was at the University of Oklahoma), and watching Jimi Hendrix perform live at a festival in California. The Disciples became country-rock band Southwind.

In the YouTube interview, Martin tells a story about performing with Linda Ronstadt and playing with Don Henley and Glenn Frey before they formed the Eagles. Martin played with them because another future Eagle, Bernie Leadon, had a gig somewhere else. Martin, asked if he was interested in joining their group, said no because he wanted to be true to his “boys from Oklahoma.” Southwind split up shortly afterward.

“I wouldn’t have been right for that band anyway,” Martin said in the video. “Bernie was a much better player than I was.”