Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big 3's of prog and rock

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Entirely subjective, so I'm not going to post mine, but I will comment yours, ince you opened the thread...
    though I kind of agree with your rather consensual choices...buuuuuuut, one has to think you're dealing with popularity rather pure personal tastes, here, right,

Sooooo:
    - Genesis was not that big a name until the 80's... Tull or ELP are more appropriate choices for 70's prog (and KC was never in the samle popularity league)
    - The Who left off from 60's rock (ok in favour of Kinks.... but in terms of pppularity???
    - Again, The who placed in 70's hard rock??
    - Bad Co doesn't strike me as hard rock >> arena or AOR rock, yes!! but hard rock???
    Well hey I never said it was perfect and it was suppose to reflect how things are viewed now more than back in the day hence Genesis being in the big three and not ELP. It's an interesting thing because although ELP haven't entirely been forgotten or neglected, their influence on prog has definitely taken a back seat to Genesis these days.

As for The Who, I view them more as a seventies band even though they did get their start in the sixties but they didn't really start to get really big until the end of the sixties anyway. The Kinks would have been a much bigger band imo if they weren't banned in the US from sixty five to sixty nine. I put them in the sixties because for a while they were a major British Invasion Band. Like I said it's a personal thing. I heard a dj on a classic rock station say something like the Beatles are his "favorite British band from the sixties but the Kinks are his second. Sorry Rolling Stones" or something to that effect. Not sure I would go that far but they definitely deserve to mentioned right after the Stones imo. Like I said, the Who got huge in the seventies and did surpass the Kinks in popularity but.... ok I'm starting to repeat myself here and I'm not even under stress.

Anyway, like you said it is mostly about who I perceive to be the most popular for the most part but it's ultimately my personal opinion of that and how I want to spin it(ie the comment about Genesis and the Kinks in particular).
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 03-08-2013 at 05:43 AM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Most hated

Jodi Arias
    Casey Anthony
    Oscar Pistorius (or Ray Lewis)

BG
    Last edited by Brian Griffin; 03-08-2013 at 07:51 AM.
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Prog

Genesis
    King Crimson
    Gentle Giant

Neo prog

IQ
    Marillion

New prog

After Crying
    Deus Ex Machina
    Anglagard

Prog metal

Pain of Salvation
    Cynic
    Wolverine

Fusion

Mahavishnu Orchestra
    Return to Forever
    Brand X

New fusion

Spaced Out
    Forgas Band Phenomena
    Counter-World Experience

20th Century composers

Stravinsky
    Bartok
    Schoenberg

Avant Garde composers

Joseph Schwantner
    Ernst Krenek
    Elliot Carter
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

I won't do the full lists, but I don't see how you can not consider Kiss for arena rock.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!