Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP the great Little Richard

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    ...as was the case even in the more proximate 60s. For those of us with limited historical consciousness, LR and his 50s colleagues were paleo-relics with little more credibility than goofball shlocksters Sha Na Na. I saw Chuck Berry open for the Byrds in 1970 and most in the audience--including myself--barely noticed.
    It happens quite often, and not just stars of the 50s. I remember in the early 80s going to a $5 keg party at a VFW hall in River Rouge, MI and who was playing? The Great Fatsby Leslie West. It was definitely a WTF? moment. Particularly if you ever been to River Rouge. Still don't quite know how he ended up with that gig.

In any case, Good Golly Miss Molly, we lost a one-of-a-kind, broke-the-mold, oft-imitated but never repeated Rock and Roll star.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

It was known he'd been in poor health for some years, so it's not unexpected, sadly.

Those Specialty records of his remain brilliant. I think 'Keep A Knockin' might be my favourite, what a glorious racket (with an oft-copied drum intro). Or maybe 'Lucille'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    And this was decades before Slade did similar things with mirrors on apparel.
    And their breakthrough hit was a cover of 'Get Down With It', which Little Richard had released a few years earlier.

There's the obvious influence on The Beatles, Paul McCartney especially. 'Long Tall Sally' and 'Kansas City' made it to their records, but there are other covers for the BBC- 'Lucille' and 'Ooh! My Soul' spring to mind immediately- and in the Let It Be film you get 'Miss Ann' in a medley.
    Last edited by JJ88; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:54 PM.

So how many of you actually have any Little Richard records or CDs?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It was known he'd been in poor health for some years, so it's not unexpected, sadly.
    It is being reported that he passed of bone cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    I don't. I also don't have anything by Elvis, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, The Everly Brothers, Fats Domino or Roy Orbison. Doesn't mean I don't acknowledge their legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I don't. I also don't have anything by Elvis, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, The Everly Brothers, Fats Domino or Roy Orbison. Doesn't mean I don't acknowledge their legacy.
    The same for me.

Have all of the above and listen to them regularly...more than most 'rock' made over the last 30 odd years, to be honest.

Him, Bo & Chuck are my 50's heroes, well ahead of the rest of the pack.

Oddly enough, except for JLL (still alive), it's the three that stayed alive the longuest with Fats Domino (by a fair margin, too if memory serves).

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    WOW. It was really him?
    That's amazing and quite sad.
    I'm assuming really bad management.
    He would dip much lower afterwards by becoming a (evangelical?) preacher, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    The first Little Richard hit I remember hearing was "Lucille." She won't do her sister's will.
    Indeed, Mr Penniman's best moment, IMHO, is Lucille. Miss Molly is another goodie.

Thanks for that & RIP.

Yup me too, but there is a notable exception:

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...ack-gladiator/

I also had this one for a while
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...eat-guitars-1/
    Last edited by Trane; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:48 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

He would dip much lower afterwards by becoming a (evangelical?) preacher, IMHO.

He is not the only one. How about Solomon Burke?

I do. Little Richard, Chuck Berry and, especially, Buddy Holly.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    He would dip much lower afterwards by becoming a (evangelical?) preacher
    At least he didn't marry his 14yr old cousin

Me. I own a greatest hits of his Specialty era.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I have numerous 45s from the era.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I don't have any Little Richard recordings in my collection. Sue me.....

I have a Little Richard but it's on vinyl and my turntable died two years ago. But RIP to one of the founding fathers of rock n' roll (and inspiration for glam as well).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Watch out for the remakes of his hits he did on Vee Jay, which were widely circulated and are vastly inferior.

He did record a fair bit of new material for Vee Jay, of which the best-known track is the soul ballad 'I Don't Know What You Got'. Jimi Hendrix- who was in his band- plays on it, but there's no solo in it, as far as I remember. Little Richard of course appears in the (excellent) Joe Boyd 1973 documentary on Hendrix.

Of all New Orleans' movers-and-shakers, Lloyd Price (of 'Lawdy Miss Clawdy'/'Stagger Lee'/'Personality' fame) is the last man standing.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Watch out for the remakes of his hits he did on Vee Jay, which were widely circulated and are vastly inferior.
    I think I might have one of those.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

^Vee Jay's catalogue generally has been used on a variety of poor-quality budget releases for decades.

I remember Ian Gillan saying how much he hated these Vee Jay remakes in an article once!

^^ Did he lay down new vocals? I seem to have a cheap CD somewhere where his voice sounds more like the '80s Little Richard (a bit more effeminate) that the earlier days.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

^At some point, I think in the 70s for K-Tel or some label like that, he remade them again. Those were closer to the original arrangements. The Vee Jay ones were often very different to the Specialty originals.

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.