Thread: RIP Brian Howe

RIP Brian Howe

RIP Brian Howe former vocalist for Ted Nugent and Bad Company. Howe replaced Paul Rogers in Bad Company in 1986. The band took a somewhat harder rock direction and had a surprisingly successful run of albums. A lot of old fans would not accept Bad Company with a different vocalist, but I always liked the Howe era of the band. I owned several of the albums that they were all really good. I also saw the Howe era of the band live twice and they were great both times. Howe had an incredible voice and could pull it off live as well as in the studio. Howe was also vocalist for Ted Nugent on the “Penetrator” album and tour. Since leaving Bad Company in the mid-90’s Howe fronted his own solo band releasing albums and touring. I always thought he was a great singer and front man. He was 66 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    RIP Brian Howe former vocalist for Ted Nugent and Bad Company. Howe replaced Paul Rogers in Bad Company in 1986. The band took a somewhat harder rock direction and had a surprisingly successful run of albums. A lot of old fans would not accept Bad Company with a different vocalist, but I always liked the Howe era of the band. I owned several of the albums that they were all really good. I also saw the Howe era of the band live twice and they were great both times. Howe had an incredible voice and could pull it off live as well as in the studio.
    Sad to hear this. I was pretty indifferent to the six albums Bad CO released with Brian Howe and Robert Hart on vocals. Yeah, Paul Rodgers is difficult to replace, but I also thought those albums sounded too generic and not like Bad Co. Nothing wrong with a track like "Holy Water", which was a #1 song for them. It just didn't sound like Bad Co. to me. He did have a heck of a voice though.

I don't follow the band that closely - anyone know if they ever performed any of those non-Paul Rodgers songs in concert once Rodgers was back in the band?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Sad to hear this. I was pretty indifferent to the six albums Bad CO released with Brian Howe and Robert Hart on vocals. Yeah, Paul Rodgers is difficult to replace, but I also thought those albums sounded too generic and not like Bad Co. Nothing wrong with a track like "Holy Water", which was a #1 song for them. It just didn't sound like Bad Co. to me. He did have a heck of a voice though.

I don't follow the band that closely - anyone know if they ever performed any of those non-Paul Rodgers songs in concert once Rodgers was back in the band?
    I would highly doubt it, but don't know that for sure. I also saw the Robert Hart version of Bad Company live. The guy sounded much more like Rogers than Howe did. Hart was another really good singer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post

The Brian Howe Bad Company gets scant respect o the current BC website. The Music section doesn't list any of the records and in the biog. Paul Rogers says something like "I let the other keep the name thinking they would move forward with dignity. They didn't." Classy.

For my own part, I think that Brian was a tremendous talent who did the Bad Company brand proud. All of the records are highly decent. There's a different sound to the old band but surely that's a positive. They didn't feel the need to become a facsimile of the previous line-up and created something new, fresh and exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    The Brian Howe Bad Company gets scant respect o the current BC website. The Music section doesn't list any of the records and in the biog. Paul Rogers says something like "I let the other keep the name thinking they would move forward with dignity. They didn't." Classy.

For my own part, I think that Brian was a tremendous talent who did the Bad Company brand proud. All of the records are highly decent. There's a different sound to the old band but surely that's a positive. They didn't feel the need to become a facsimile of the previous line-up and created something new, fresh and exciting.
    No argument here.

Holy Water was an amazing slice of 80s AOR ear candy. As good as that genre ever got IMHO and a well-deserved #1. Is it Bad Company? Not at all, to my ears anyway, but I guess who cares. RIP to a very talented vocalist.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Holy Water was an amazing slice of 80s AOR ear candy. As good as that genre ever got IMHO and a well-deserved #1. Is it Bad Company? Not at all, to my ears anyway, but I guess who cares. RIP to a very talented vocalist.
    I quite like "Dangerous Age" as well. Those two albums are both really great ones to crank up in the car.