Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 87

Thread: Will Genesis record a farewell album with Pete, Steve & Ant guest spots? Discuss!

  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Wlel, I haven't read the entire thread, but a few things come to mind here:

    1. Last I checked, Phil still can't play drums. So who's gonna be the drummer? Phil's son? Or given how much one was used on the post Abacab albums, they could just use a drum machine. Or since you're takling about bringing back all their old bandmates, maybe John Silver could sit down behind the drums. Who's got Chris Stewart's phone number?
    There's more chance of John Mayhew sitting in on drums than there is of a five-piece reunion.

  2. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    East Linton, Scotland
    Posts
    317
    According to the interview in the latest issue of Prog magazine out this month, new music is unlikely.

    Banks is open to the idea, Collins shrugs non-commitally, and then Rutherford states that it's not on his radar at all.

    Rutherford is equally blunt about former members - "Peter left 45 years ago and Steve left 43 years ago. No, it was always going to be the three of us."

    So there you go.

  3. #53
    I'm assuming this is only a thought-experiment rather than serious, but even if it is serious, I would hope this wouldn't happen. Setting aside Calling All Stations (which I see as simply Banks & Rutherford fleshed out demos with guests) my last impression of the trio Genesis is "Fading Lights" which I simply didn't like. Maybe they could cobble together a four minute pop song but it would probably never rise to the level of their 80s material and absolutely never rise to the level of their 70s work. I'm sorry, impossible. At best, it would be a curio of nostalgia that was simply not as "Genesis" as anything they'd done before. I compare it to the last couple of albums by The Who - and I quite liked the most recent one. However, it was at best decent verging on good - it wasn't even a shadow of their best work.

    So, unless they're going to get in the studio (or separate studios) and put a track together based on some discarded Tony Banks idea (with Mike and Phil embellishments), I will say this is never happening.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

  4. #54
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    3,484
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I'm gonna wait for the SW remixed boxed set of this album.
    It will not be SW. It will be a Giles Martin remix to Dolby Atmos available on Blu-ray. IMO, SW is pretty accurate with his remixes, however he didn’t correct the non-live feel of those recordings. There was compression on the original tapes before mixed. I think it is possible to determine a model of that and remove compression resulting in a sound closer to the live sound. Especially for the recordings of Yes material. Giles did an incredible job with the best recording the Beatles ever made, Abbey Road. This also required a complete overhaul of Abbey Road studio’s equipment. Just amazing and none of SW’s work approaches that but it could be because the original recordings benefitted from George Martin, Alan Parsons and Ken Scott being in the studio. Trespass saw a huge improvement on the remix. Genesis early on didn’t have the money to produce well early on.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  5. #55
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    3,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    According to the interview in the latest issue of Prog magazine out this month, new music is unlikely.

    Banks is open to the idea, Collins shrugs non-commitally, and then Rutherford states that it's not on his radar at all.

    Rutherford is equally blunt about former members - "Peter left 45 years ago and Steve left 43 years ago. No, it was always going to be the three of us."

    So there you go.
    It should not be surprising that Mike Rutherford would be the major poo pooer. He is the one who composed music that was antithesis of the original Genesis. He loves the keep it simple, stupid concept. I would like to think that contracts aren’t the most significant reason anything happens or doesn’t happen, between any of these members or former members.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  6. #56
    They are going to release the remix first. Then, ten years later, release the original version.

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    As is the case with most bands who throw the audience a bone with an 'old' medley. But they played some of those songs, including Supper's Ready, in their entirety in the 80s.
    They did it for one tour, on the Three Sides Live tour, and I suspect the reason they were doing it was to warm up for the Six Of The Best show, which came at the end of said tour.

  8. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    693
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    I dunno. I base my opinions on written or video interviews with the band, so these thoughts were not off the top of my head. In a nutshell Peter, Tony and Mike have basically dismissed the early band as youthful nonsense.
    Peter is on record as saying that he is proud of Supper's Ready and The Lamb.

    neil

  9. #59
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    3,484

    Will Genesis record a farewell album with Pete, Steve & Ant guest spots? Discuss!

    Here the opinion is and it bluntly is focused on PG, little mention of Steve the person most capable of performing part of the repertoire:
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  10. #60
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    3,484
    Actually, as I read this now, to say the band has been the 3 for the last 45 years, given that Steve left 43 years ago and was with the 3 before that, is an asshole statement.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  11. #61
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    3,484
    To set the record straight:


    Since Hackett's departure, the 1970–1975 line-up of Genesis has reunited a handful of times. On 2 October 1982, the group gathered for Six of the Best, a one-off performance held to raise money for Gabriel's WOMAD festival. In 1983, Hackett was joined on stage by Gabriel and Rutherford during a series of shows at the Civic Hall in Guildford, the three performing with Hackett's band. The set list included a mix of Genesis songs, covers, and tracks from their solo careers.

    In 1998, members of Genesis reunited for a photo session and dinner to celebrate the release of the Genesis Archive 1967–75 box set. The release featured Hackett and Gabriel re-recording some guitar and vocal parts, respectively. Hackett also participated in the re-recording of "The Carpet Crawlers" from The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway for inclusion on the 1999 greatest hits album Turn It On Again: The Hits
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  12. #62
    ^ Or, ya know, maybe he was estimating when he said 45 years.

  13. #63
    Member dgtlman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    They did it for one tour, on the Three Sides Live tour, and I suspect the reason they were doing it was to warm up for the Six Of The Best show, which came at the end of said tour.
    And I saw it played. It was wonderful!

  14. #64
    Member dgtlman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    394
    What happened with Chester? Some sort of falling out?

  15. #65
    Member lazland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    What happened with Chester? Some sort of falling out?
    I wouldn’t mind finding out the answer to that question. Chester is still active, so it is not a health issue. And Collins is well known for getting on with pretty much everyone, so a fall out doesn’t strike me as being likely.

  16. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    What happened with Chester?
    Chester has a page dedicated to this question on his website: https://chesterthompson.com/2020/03/...our-inquiries/

    According to Prog Magazine’s Facebook comment from back in March, “Actually Chester is sadly not well enough to tour.
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:23 PM.

  17. #67

  18. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    What happened with Chester? Some sort of falling out?
    It may be as simple as the fact that the whole reason for Collins coming out of retirement has to do with bonding with Nic. Since Nic is there, there's just no reason for Chester to be there as well. Nic playing on the Genesis tour is just an extension of that.

  19. #69
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    There's more chance of John Mayhew sitting in on drums than there is of a five-piece reunion.
    Let John rest in Peace...

  20. #70
    Member dgtlman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Chester has a page dedicated to this question on his website: https://chesterthompson.com/2020/03/...our-inquiries/

    Well that doesn't say much at all:

    "Thank you for all of the inquiries I have received. In answer to the question that you have been asking, I will not be participating in the upcoming Genesis tour."

  21. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Well that doesn't say much at all:

    "Thank you for all of the inquiries I have received. In answer to the question that you have been asking, I will not be participating in the upcoming Genesis tour."
    Read between the lines, man! It's because Tony's the devil!

  22. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    They were dismissive of their 70s work in 80s print media, except for Hackett.
    I saw some of this at the time, but I kinda felt it was more a kind of distancing than dismissal, being that they were not only retooling their sound but also their image for the 80s and beyond. A marketing move as much as true feelings, although I am sure at this point they were probably fed up with their old fans asking the same questions, wanting to hear the older material, accusations of selling out, etc.

    Rutherford in particular kept trying to recast their old music in a different light , constantly saying he never thought of them as being progressive rock but instead being Beatlesque, which seemed a real stretch to me, other than isolated moments (Lilywhite Lilith).

    I think it was a sign of the times for some of the old guard progressive bands and artists to do this and even recall Hammill doing this with VdGG (though not so much his solo material) especially in the 90s, saying that he wanted to make “more mature, adult music”. Questions about reforming VdGG were met with responses varying from a polite “no” to a terse dismissal of the idea as ancient history.

  23. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Well that doesn't say much at all:

    "Thank you for all of the inquiries I have received. In answer to the question that you have been asking, I will not be participating in the upcoming Genesis tour."
    For all the material written about the group by members and others, I always get the impression that a lot of it is massaged for PR reasons. I guess Phil is the most outspoken but Tony seems to be the most blunt (at times). However, I always feel as if the history of Genesis that we the public see is the official approved version and little else.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

  24. #74
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    6,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Rye-Ergot View Post
    I saw some of this at the time, but I kinda felt it was more a kind of distancing than dismissal, being that they were not only retooling their sound but also their image for the 80s and beyond. A marketing move as much as true feelings, although I am sure at this point they were probably fed up with their old fans asking the same questions, wanting to hear the older material, accusations of selling out, etc.

    Rutherford in particular kept trying to recast their old music in a different light , constantly saying he never thought of them as being progressive rock but instead being Beatlesque, which seemed a real stretch to me, other than isolated moments (Lilywhite Lilith).

    I think it was a sign of the times for some of the old guard progressive bands and artists to do this and even recall Hammill doing this with VdGG (though not so much his solo material) especially in the 90s, saying that he wanted to make “more mature, adult music”. Questions about reforming VdGG were met with responses varying from a polite “no” to a terse dismissal of the idea as ancient history.
    One thing to bear in mind is how much vitriol was dumped on Progressive Rock by the British Music Press. They made it utterly uncool to be a fan or creator of this music. They tied it to outdated fashions (kaftans, joss sticks [whatever they are,] loon pants [whatever they are,] etc.) I think it got to the point where Prog-Rock artists were like people in the witness protection program. "Prog-Rock? No, not me. That stuff is rubbish." And Genesis did not issue a lengthy dissertation repudiating their 70s work. The media would have loved to hear them recant at length before being burned at the stake. It was an offhand comment here or there. Sometimes requiring some reading between the lines, sometimes not. After they achieved worldwide fame as Pop artists, they may have bought in to the party line, who knows?
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  25. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    One thing to bear in mind is how much vitriol was dumped on Progressive Rock by the British Music Press. They made it utterly uncool to be a fan or creator of this music. They tied it to outdated fashions (kaftans, joss sticks [whatever they are,] loon pants [whatever they are,]....
    For sure. I lived in the U.K. from late 79-84 and this is definitely the case, with NME probably the worst/most vitriolic.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •