Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Genesis record a farewell album with Pete, Steve & Ant guest spots? Discuss!

Quote Originally Posted by zzorchering View Post
    I've been doing a lot of reading about Genesis in these locked down times - from revisiting very old articles and books, through to the recent PROG magazine with the interviews with Phil, Tony & Mike about the new tour.

I'm probably wrong - but it seems obvious to me ... that we will eventually see a final "farewell" album, very much driven by Phil, Tony & Mike, but with a range of guest contributions from other early members? The fab 3 haven't ruled out producing a final album, and I'd be amazed if it didn't happen over the next couple of years (with Nick on drums) given the lock-down frustrations & perhaps the possible delay of the live shows later in the year.

I can see how they feel that adding Pete or Steve to the new shows would compromise the set list &/or chemistry on stage, seeing that they haven't worked together for over 40 years. However, given that very long term and close friendships remain between, for example, Mike & Ant and Tony & Pete - and given that Steve remains very much active / has a lot to offer - I just can't see them missing the chance to finally go out with a bang - and to honour their friends by inviting contributions. I think they're all too proud of their heritage, and possibly aware that "life's too short" not to.

I don't think there will be any announcements - but I can see them not just wanting to fizzle out without a final statement and a surprise "stunner" of an album - ie better than ending with Calling All Stations! And nowadays, they wouldn't even all have to meet physically in the studio - contributions by Pete, Steve, Ant can just be added in remotely! It would be the perfect way to close the book?

Discuss etc
    you are bored aren't you?
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.com

I'm gonna wait for the SW remixed boxed set of this album.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Are PE members total nerds? Discuss!

But, at least, imaginative nerds.

Wlel, I haven't read the entire thread, but a few things come to mind here:

1. Last I checked, Phil still can't play drums. So who's gonna be the drummer? Phil's son? Or given how much one was used on the post Abacab albums, they could just use a drum machine. Or since you're takling about bringing back all their old bandmates, maybe John Silver could sit down behind the drums. Who's got Chris Stewart's phone number?

2. If they didn't do an album in 2007, what makes you think they would do one now?

3. I don't think there's enough common ground, musically speaking for the lot of them to make a record together. I remember reading an interview with Ant once, where he was asked about the possibility of doing something with Mike again, I suppose in the vein of The Crease In My Coat (see what I did there?). He basically said that he and Mike had grown so far apart, that such a collaboration would be unlikely. Steve has said he prefers "arguing with myself" to being in a band. And Peter's probably still working on that record that he used as the excuse for not doing the 2007 reunion.

4. Even if they did do "one more for the road" or whatever you want to say, it's not gonna sound like what you want it to sound like. You're hoping for something that sounds like 70's Genesis, with lots of 12 string guitar, fuzz guitar, Hammond organ, Mellotron and analog synths, with elaborate songs full of lyrical allusions to the Bible, ancient history, newspaper articles about invasive plant species, and grocery store adverts. I'm pretty sure you're not gonna get any of that. You might get one or two big pieces, but it's not gonna sound like the old stuff, and most of the album is going to be the same stuff that some of us don't like about the trio era albums.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    ...Tony, Mike and Peter have a combined mind-set that early Genesis, the prog-Genesis was the product of immature youth. I actually think they are embarrassed.
    I don't know about Tony and Mike but as recently as the "UP" tour Gabriel discussed with his touring band doing "Supper's Ready" - he wanted to do it but chose not to because some band members didn't want to.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Wlel, I haven't read the entire thread...
    Oh trust me you have, several times before

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Oh trust me you have, several times before
    yes!
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I don't know about Tony and Mike but as recently as the "UP" tour Gabriel discussed with his touring band doing "Supper's Ready" - he wanted to do it but chose not to because some band members didn't want to.
    That's right, and it was Tony Levin and David Rhodes who talked him out of it. PG is still fond of The Lamb album as well, as he's said many times over the years.

I dunno. I base my opinions on written or video interviews with the band, so these thoughts were not off the top of my head. In a nutshell Peter, Tony and Mike have basically dismissed the early band as youthful nonsense.
    Tony Banks is fond of many things dating all the way back to Stagnation in 1970, and there is no shortage of interview footage where he praises songs from almost every album. In fact, it's Calling All Stations, the very last one, that he seems to look down on. Mike too. This nonsense of them being 'embarrassed' by the prog material is ridiculous. They're right there on the boxed set interviews, talking about all this stuff. You obviously choose to believe what you want to believe about these guys. I have no idea why.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Maybe Ray and Ant can get together and do something as Wilson-Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Maybe Ray and Ant can get together and do something as Wilson-Phillips.
    Yes, that's an interesting thought. However, Wilson-Phillips is a trio, so how about Collins joining them and billed as: Phil-lips-Wilson (okay, it's a stretch).

wilson phil.jpg

I'd prefer they didn't record anything.

Has anyone watched Genesis: The Genesis Songbook documentary? That's what you'll get.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    That's right, and it was Tony Levin and David Rhodes who talked him out of it. PG is still fond of The Lamb album as well, as he's said many times over the years.

Tony Banks is fond of many things dating all the way back to Stagnation in 1970, and there is no shortage of interview footage where he praises songs from almost every album. In fact, it's Calling All Stations, the very last one, that he seems to look down on. Mike too. This nonsense of them being 'embarrassed' by the prog material is ridiculous. They're right there on the boxed set interviews, talking about all this stuff. You obviously choose to believe what you want to believe about these guys. I have no idea why.
    Alright, maybe Tony is an exception, but my gut tells me he sides more with Peter and Mike. I'm not certain about Phil since he joined later and basically rolled with the flow. But I am definite about the youthful remarks from Peter and Mike. If Peter is still fond of The Lamb and Supper's Ready, great! Both are crowning achievements of the prog-Genesis archive. But why dis the rest? You would think that Peter, who has always been a bit eccentric, would embrace the high level of musical art created in the bands early days. At least Steve Hackett recognizes that great art was created, and as an underdog has embraced and savored the old works of fine art. And kudos to him, as it has certainly paid off for him not only financially, but I'll bet that it also solidifies in his own mind that the music was worthy. His consistently sold-out Genesis Revisited shows prove it.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

If Peter is still fond of The Lamb and Supper's Ready, great! Both are crowning achievements of the prog-Genesis archive. But why dis the rest?
    It's not 'dissing' the rest simply because they aren't his favourites. Looking fondly on an entire double LP and half of another one is pretty high praise, considering the tiny amount of his life and career that was actually spent inside of that band. Perhaps he feels the creative work he's produced on his own in the 45 years since he left is something he's even more proud of. And why shouldn't he?

When Mike also speaks highly of tracks like Supper's Ready, In The Cage, The Cinema Show, Back In NYC, Blood On The Rooftops, etc. - is that also 'dissing' the tracks he doesn't mention or isn't as fond of? Or is he not allowed his own opinion of his own work?

If there are specific tracks from way back in their youth that they are indeed embarrassed by, I think that's pretty understandable - even if I love those songs. I cringe at some things I wrote when I was twenty years old, and I'm proud of others.

They were dismissive of their 70s work in 80s print media, except for Hackett.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    They were dismissive of their 70s work in 80s print media, except for Hackett.
    I don't recall that at all, and I read everything I could get my hands on in those days. Individual tracks from the old days, yes, but the entire body of "their 70s work"? Hardly.

I don't recall that at all, and I read everything I could get my hands on in those days. Individual tracks from the old days, yes, but the entire body of "their 70s work"? Hardly.
    Our memories differ greatly. I probably didn't keep the 80s magazines to reference, but I still have the fan club mags from that period. They were my top band in the 70s and I kept a keen eye on their sayings and doings up until '87 or so, so I'm going to go with my memory, thank you very much.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Our memories differ greatly. I probably didn't keep the 80s magazines to reference, but I still have the fan club mags from that period. They were my top band in the 70s and I kept a keen eye on their sayings and doings up until '87 or so, so I'm going to go with my memory, thank you very much.
    Okay, think as you like. They dismissed their entire 70s output. Gotcha. So did they all have a complete change of heart starting January 1st 1990, or does your memory tell you it was more of a gradual coming around? Just curious, because all of the interviews I read must have been a figment of my imagination.

What a weird bunch of guys they were, playing live songs like Supper's Ready, Cinema Show, In The Cage, Musical Box, Firth Of Fifth, Dance On A Volcano, In That Quiet Earth, Afterglow, Los Endos, Follow You Follow Me, and even throwing snippets of Eleventh Earl, Squonk, Slippermen, etc. into their medleys - and all in that quirky lil' decade the 80s, when they had dismissed them. Must have been torture for them to play them.

Okay, think as you like. They dismissed their entire 70s output. Gotcha. So did they all have a complete change of heart starting January 1st 1990, or does your memory tell you it was more of a gradual coming around? Just curious, because all of the interviews I read must have been a figment of my imagination.

What a weird bunch of guys they were, playing live songs like Supper's Ready, Cinema Show, In The Cage, Musical Box, Firth Of Fifth, Dance On A Volcano, In That Quiet Earth, Afterglow, Los Endos, Follow You Follow Me, and even throwing snippets of Eleventh Earl, Squonk, Slippermen, etc. into their medleys - and all in that quirky lil' decade the 80s, when they had dismissed them. Must have been torture for them to play them.
    I remember Tony once saying the medleys were "more for the audience than us", i.e. they knew there was a contingency in their fanbase that still wanted to hear them do the older things, and the medley was to please them specifically.

But i fyou think about it, if you're a musician, or any other kind of artist really, you're going to be most proud of the more recent stuff. Going on tour, you're going to be most interested in playing the latest material. If you have something you've been playing for several years running, you might even get a little bored with it. I remember in the Keyboard magazine interview with Tony in...was it the September 84 issue? It was late 84, I remember that much. Anyway, Tony mentioned he thought maybe it was time for them to retire In The Cage because he was getting a little it was getting a bit stale. Given that they weren't much for improvisation (at least not onstage) or changing up song arrangements, you have to reckon that each of them probably had songs they got tired of playing at one point or another.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I remember Tony once saying the medleys were "more for the audience than us", i.e. they knew there was a contingency in their fanbase that still wanted to hear them do the older things, and the medley was to please them specifically.
    As is the case with most bands who throw the audience a bone with an 'old' medley. But they played some of those songs, including Supper's Ready, in their entirety in the 80s. And some of those are long songs, taking up a big chunk of the set.

My whole point here is that I've seen every member of that band (yes, including Rutherford) speak well of at least some of the old classics, and that includes those 80s magazines I used to subscribe to like Keyboard and Modern Drummer. Do they also cringe at some of it? Of course. That is not the same thing as dismissing an entire decade of your career.

Anyway... (they say she comes on a pale horse)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I agree, the band hardly dismissed a decade of music making.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

No.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Banned
    Geezer Alert: I'm not so much interested in the original question much less a debate, but I have to say it really is great to see such passion for this extraordinary music that (can you believe it?) is upwards of 50 years old. I'm proud to be an early-Genesis loving snob that sees much of the 70's material as imaginative art and stuff like "I Can't Dance" as uninspired, sell-out shite.

I am 99.998% sure that Banks still cites Wind/Wuthering and Duke as his two fav Genesis albums (from the interviews from the 2007 discs).

Did PG ever touch a Genesis tune after he left in his own band when he toured?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I am 99.998% sure that Banks still cites Wind/Wuthering and Duke as his two fav Genesis albums (from the interviews from the 2007 discs).

Did PG ever touch a Genesis tune after he left in his own band when he toured?
    Yes, still his two favourites and he often speaks quite highly of Foxtrot (lots of his bits on that one, so no surprise).

PG did The Lamb and Back In NYC. Apart from that, and the reunion concert, nothing that I can recall, although as was mentioned he did want to resurrect Supper's Ready around the time of Up, but was wisely talked out of that by Levin and Rhodes. When he toured with Sting a few years back, he gave a tease at one show by singing the opening to Moonlit Knight (which Sting had been doing until that point on the tour).

I think of Peter's attitude as not so much dissing his past but rather an "ever onward, no looking back" approach. Kind of like Robert Plant, in a way.