Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Dave Greenfield

R.I.P. Dave Greenfield

Dave Greenfield, keyboard player of my beloved STRANGLERS, has passed away after contracting Covid 19. I am devastated...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Just saw the news on FB. Stunned. Here's the band's post:

David Paul Greenfield (29/03/49-03/05/20)

We are deeply and profoundly saddened to announce the untimely passing of keyboard legend Dave Greenfield on the evening of 3rd May 2020. Following a stay in hospital for heart problems, Dave tested positive for the Covid-19 virus last Sunday but he sadly lost his battle last night. Dave had been an ever present in the band since joining in late 1975 and his keyboard wizardry was world-renowned over his 45 year career in The Stranglers. Dave was a lovable, friendly and eccentric character who always had time to chat.

We have received the following tributes from Dave's fellow band members JJ, Jet and Baz as well as Sil the band's manager:

“On the evening of Sunday May 3rd my great friend and longstanding colleague of 45 years, the musical genius that was Dave Greenfield, passed away as one of the victims of the Great Pandemic of 2020. All of us in the worldwide Stranglers’ family grieve and send our sincerest condolences to Pam.” - JJ Burnel

“We have just lost a dear friend and music genius, and so has the whole world. Dave was a complete natural in music. Together, we toured the globe endlessly and it was clear he was adored by millions. A huge talent, a great loss, he is dearly missed.” - Jet Black

“We lost a true innovator, musical legend, and one of my dearest friends today. The word genius is bandied around far too easily in this day and age, but Dave Greenfield certainly was one. We stood together on the same side of the stage for 20 years, laughed, joked and shared our lives in the way that only band mates can. I'll miss him forever. Our thoughts and hearts are with his wife Pam, and to the millions of fans who worshipped at his altar, he'll never be equalled.” - Baz Warne

“We are all in shock, Dave was a kind, generous soul who had time for anyone and everyone and it has been my privilege to have known him as both a close friend, his tech and manager for over 40 years. Our thoughts are with Pam at this sad time” - Sil Willcox

He is survived by his wife Pam and we ask you to respect Pam's privacy at this very sad time.

Fly straight Mr G, fond adieu xx
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Rest in peace Dave, taken too soon.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Sad news indeed - an extremely underrated talent and by all accounts really nice guy.

Having been a fan since the late 70's I only got to see them live for the first time a couple of years ago (bizarrely) - it was a great night...

R.I.P

Oh....I am really sad to hear this. Will definitely be playing some Stranglers in memoriam.
    RIP

Their version fo Walk On By is a classic. Another sad loss.

Sad news indeed. I heard it in the news, where they mentioned some hits by The Stranglers and left out 'No more heroes', still my favorite.

Greenfield was influenced by Rick Wakeman and I was always reminded of Yes when listening to the 2 minute intro of Toiler On The Sea:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Greenfield was influenced by Rick Wakeman and I was always reminded of Yes when listening to the 2 minute intro of Toiler On The Sea:

I have Rockpalast broadcast on de DVD-R and he had an impressive keyboard set-up.

What a shame. This one hurts. I saw him years ago, with the original lineup in a small club - half punk, half prog, and totally intense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I have Rockpalast broadcast on de DVD-R and he had an impressive keyboard set-up.
    When I saw him, he didn't. Or, rather he did, but in a limited way. His entire rig was one Oberheim 8-voice - the original one with eight separate modules - back in the day when those things were rare and expensive. It took the roadie 15 minutes of excruciating screeches to get all 16 oscillators in tune. But when he played it - my God, what a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    What a shame. This one hurts. I saw him years ago, with the original lineup in a small club - half punk, half prog, and totally intense.

When I saw him, he didn't. Or, rather he did, but in a limited way. His entire rig was one Oberheim 8-voice - the original one with eight separate modules - back in the day when those things were rare and expensive. It took the roadie 15 minutes of excruciating screeches to get all 16 oscillators in tune. But when he played it - my God, what a sound.
    Yes, the Oberheim 8 voice. Nice instrument. Didn't Geddy Lee also use one? It is also on Mystical adventures from Jean Luc Ponty.

I discovered the Stranglers while visiting family in the UK in '77. I heard the sound of Dave's keys and asked my nephew who it was..the Stranglers he replied. I was flabbergasted..Punk!!! I'm supposed to hate the stuff. I bought Rattus immediately and soon realized that it wasn't punk at all, just a punk attitude. I have most of their recorded stuff and have seen them many times, the last time being in 2013, where I did a meet & greet.
    Me & Dave Greenfield 2013.jpg
    Dave Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I discovered the Stranglers while visiting family in the UK in '77. I heard the sound of Dave's keys and asked my nephew who it was..the Stranglers he replied. I was flabbergasted..Punk!!! I'm supposed to hate the stuff. I bought Rattus immediately and soon realized that it wasn't punk at all, just a punk attitude. I have most of their recorded stuff and have seen them many times, the last time being in 2013, where I did a meet & greet.
    Punk, progressive, both, it doesn't matter. It was a time when you had to make good music to excel. RIP, a great musician.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    That's a great pic!

Very saddened by this news, they made some great records and live they were always full of fire. I’ve seen him play a great many times, always intense and those keyboard runs separated them from the rest. He was a brilliant player. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by wurz View Post
    That's a great pic!
    Thanks! here is a good article
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...the-stranglers
    Dave Sr.

Jon Neudorf
    This is very sad. Have been a huge fan for decades. Great player and from what I have read a kind soul.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    This is very sad. Have been a huge fan for decades. Great player and from what I have read a kind soul.

RIP
    Dave Sr.

I'd heard the 'No More Heroes' on the radio just a few days before and was reminded just what a great song it was. I don't own any Stranglers albums other than a greatest hits collection, might have to remedy that.

I wondered if 'No More Heroes' was a riposte to Bowie's 'Heroes'; interestingly enough 'No More Heroes' (the album) was released on the same day as 'Heroes' (the single). So it looks like coincidence.

Here's another band I had heard of, but never heard their music until today. I checked out their wiki discog and was surprised to see so many UK hit albums and singles and not a one ever dented the charts in the USA. They certainly got zero airplay in the greater Philly area in the 70s/80s. Nor do I ever remember an MTV video.

Anyway I checked out a few things on YT: they're enjoyable pub rockers I guess you could call them, punk only by association... And yes Greenfield seems to be the main talent in the group. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Here's another band I had heard of, but never heard their music until today. I checked out their wiki discog and was surprised to see so many UK hit albums and singles and not a one ever dented the charts in the USA. They certainly got zero airplay in the greater Philly area in the 70s/80s. Nor do I ever remember an MTV video.

Anyway I checked out a few things on YT: they're enjoyable pub rockers I guess you could call them, punk only by association... And yes Greenfield seems to be the main talent in the group. RIP.
    You really need to go a little deeper into their repertoire..cannot accept the enjoyable pub rocker determination. Like most music loving proggers back in the 70's, we took our music seriously and the Stranglers fitted nicely into that category.
    Dave Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post

I don't know how JJ Burnel ranks in terms of proficiency but he couldn't half get a filthy sound out of his bass.

I definitely wouldn't call an album like Meninblack pub rock.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    No kidding...
    Dave Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Terrific album, and certainly their proggiest, or at least their most experimental. Dave Greenfield actually was a big Yes fan.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx