Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R.I.P. Dave Greenfield

I always thought that the 60s stuff must have been a big inspiration to him. Especially the Doors.

RIP.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I don't know how JJ Burnel ranks in terms of proficiency but he couldn't half get a filthy sound out of his bass.
    His solo album Euroman Cometh is such a great record...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Love the Stranglers...!

RIP... never a frown, with golden brown...!

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I always thought that the 60s stuff must have been a big inspiration to him. Especially the Doors.

RIP.
    It's funny, but Burnel had the same opinion when they started playing together for the first time. Apparently Greenfield hadn't even listened to the Doors at the time - but he was a confirmed Wakeman fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    It's funny, but Burnel had the same opinion when they started playing together for the first time. Apparently Greenfield hadn't even listened to the Doors at the time - but he was a confirmed Wakeman fan.
    I always thought that Hugh Cornwell sounded like Jim Morrison at times too...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

This is very nice...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I saw The Stranglers at The Rainbow in July 8th, 1980, "The Raven" tour, me a very young boy on a study-holiday (didn't open a book), loved them since then, a concert I will never forget.

In memory of Dave Greenfield I've just finished listening to all seventeen Stranglers studio releases along with associated b-sides. I was introduced to The Stranglers in 1980 and I doubt that they would have grabbed my attention at that time if it wasn't for the presence of Dave Greenfield's keyboards. I get so much enjoyment from his playing through all of the incarnations of the band and, while their catalog is a testament to Dave's abilities as a player, writer and sometime vocalist, it's sad to think that there won't be any more opportunities to see him live or hear his contributions to Stranglers compositions. There is a very nice melancholic synth solo towards the end of 'My Fickle Resolve' from the Giants album that particularly caught my attention and seemed to complement my mood.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

Shortly before Greenfield died, I went through all the Stranglers albums. There are quite a few gems in those latter day albums.

I think they had been putting together material for a new studio album (if I'm remembering their Facebook posts correctly). And, as you say, they were still touring extensively. I'm kicking myself for not seeing them last year in the States when they were here.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.