Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A worthy young successor to King Crimson ...

A worthy young successor to King Crimson ...

To anyone who hasn't yet heard of The Physics House Band - and who enjoys loud, complex & heavy King Crimson - then you're probably in for a treat ... I've only ever seen the band live once (a surprise discovery at HRH Prog around 7 years ago) and I was absolutely blown away. They so remind me of chaotic King Crimson in many ways - with their incredible drummer seeming to combine the accuracy of Bill Bruford and the out of control madness of Keith Moon...

Anyway, I thought it worth putting in a word in for them, given that musicians are all in these hard-up / locked-down times - as they have a new album due out soon and would probably appreciate some money being thrown their way. I have no conection with the band, apart from appreciating stunning musicianship.

So - for all us oldies who have spent shed-loads of money in the past to expand our impressive range of Crim Boxsets - we should support a young, talented band by pre-ordering their new live album METROPOLIS: https://bit.ly/PHB_metropolis

Cheers!
    Last edited by zzorchering; 05-04-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Thanks for the heads up. I just spent an hour on You Tube watching and listening and I'm very impressed. Looks like they're been around quite a few years, and every clip is awesome! I can't believe they are fairly unknown, especially in prog circles. Wow this band does need our support. I've heard so many bands attempt to create and perform this type of music and fail miserably. Not these guys, just stunning creative musicianship. For fans of King Crimson, Stick Men, Markus Reuter and Mahavishnu Orchestra with some Zappa and Magma thrown in the blender. REAL BIG
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Thanks, I'll give them a listen! black midi also give me a distinct KC vibe...

I like em, and saved the buy site on my computer. I'll buy after the album is fully released

Quote Originally Posted by zzorchering View Post
    To anyone who hasn't yet heard of The Physics House Band - and who enjoys loud, complex & heavy King Crimson - then you're probably in for a treat ...

Cheers!
    Impressive indeed. Thanks for sharing !

Wow that was good.. I'll look forward to hearing this release!

Very powerful musicianship ✊🏾

Good tune, love the drummer, bought CD.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    I like em, and saved the buy site on my computer. I'll buy after the album is fully released
    Their previous album (which is brilliant!) is on https://unearthly-vision.bandcamp.com/merch

Last edited by zzorchering; 05-05-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Yeah great, also pre-ordered the CD!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    Thanks, I'll give them a listen! black midi also give me a distinct KC vibe...

Wow, I like the chaos and anarchy of Black Midi. I can hear the Crimson connection. Will check out more by them also. Thanks
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I really enjoyed The Physics House Band, and you're right, the drummer is a little out of control -- especially with the cymbal crashes. A little restraint in that regard would make them sound a little tighter and cleaner, and given him some headroom for dynamic emphasis when needed. But I'm nitpicking... They're still a very good band.

The album just dropped on Bandcamp this evening and on one listen it's pretty damn good!

Bandcamp Profile

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    KC ain't dead yet.

But thanks for the heads up. I'm definitely intrigued and will give a listen to bandcamp.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    I really enjoyed The Physics House Band, and you're right, the drummer is a little out of control -- especially with the cymbal crashes. A little restraint in that regard would make them sound a little tighter and cleaner, and given him some headroom for dynamic emphasis when needed. But I'm nitpicking... They're still a very good band.
    Agreed, but that’s his bag... and he’ll grow out of it soon enough. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    Agreed, but that’s his bag... and he’ll grow out of it soon enough. ��
    Personally I kinda enjoy his gonzo approach.

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Personally I kinda enjoy his gonzo approach.
    Indeed my friend, fun to watch as well. Be safe and be well.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Don't really hear anything that would make me think about KC in this, but it is pretty excellent. Wish that deluxe version of their first album was available in CD form...it's quite short, especially for the money they want for it.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Just received the CD, looking forward to spinning it tonight!

Bill

The eons are closing
    Gotta check this. Thnx again peeps for posting.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I LIKE IT
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

First listen last night didn't blow me away. It seems to get a little unfocused at times and I sort of lost the plot. But there were a few other things going on, so maybe I got distracted. Didn't hate it, but it will definitely take me some more spins to formulate a real opinion.

Bill

So for anyone else who has the CD, are you experiencing a glitch in the transition from track nine to track 10? Kind of like a little pause, like you get when transitioning between digital files with continuous music? Kind of annoying, but I guess not a major issue. If this was on their master that they sent to press, though, pretty sloppy. If it's the manufacturer's fault, shame on them.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    First listen last night didn't blow me away. It seems to get a little unfocused at times and I sort of lost the plot. But there were a few other things going on, so maybe I got distracted. Didn't hate it, but it will definitely take me some more spins to formulate a real opinion.

Bill
    I had a similar reaction, Bill. Things started off pretty well... but then a couple of the later tracks just felt like noisy riffs repeated over and over again. Definitely need to give it another spin through, though.

neil

I always felt that there were a healthy number of worthy young successors to KC, more so than to certain other classic progressive acts of heyday - not in that they copied, but rather how they explored in the same manner and with somewhat of the same depth and width. However, bands like Altered States, Don Caballero, Yowie, Sleeping People, Zevious, Many Arms and Upsilon Acrux - although they toured all over the place and garnered quite an audience for each of them, mostly outside of "prog" quarters - tended to focus on some very limited and given assets of the instrumental KC-approach. But these were still highly worthy successors, IMO. Not to mention Kayo Dot or Motorpsycho, for that matter.

There are quite a few younger names from the much-heralded contemporary Norwegian jazz scene diving into KC-antics as well, like Red Kite, Krokofant and Grand General.

Physics House Band are really cool too, so thx for posting.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM