Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prog From Home concert

It was a heavy slab of prog indeed, ranged over many current bands and players, lots of highlights. A few I hadn't heard of and will explore further (Reign of Kindo, where'd they come from?). I need to watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    Overall it was very good. Best for me was Randy McStine and Adam Holzman doing “Here Comes the Flood”. I knew Randy was a killer guitarist but I didn’t know he can sing. Holy shit!
    Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    Randy is an incredible musician. Check out his solo stuff, especially his latest live album: https://rmcstine.bandcamp.com/album/...e-in-vancouver
    It's amazing what he can do with a looper and his talent. Check the title track for this one especially.
    Thank you! The whole show turned out to be quite special.

I did not watch the whole thing, but caught a chunk of it. Very very well done and enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    It was a heavy slab of prog indeed, ranged over many current bands and players, lots of highlights. A few I hadn't heard of and will explore further (Reign of Kindo, where'd they come from?). I need to watch it again.
    They played Progtoberfest in Chicago a few years ago and were very good. I don't know much more about them though.

I generally don't get much from singer-songwriter solo type performances, often the music and instrumental parts are simplified so that the performer can focus on singing. For me, these were the highlights:

Reign of Kindo - full band performance, excellent! I'll be seeking out their recordings

Pete Jones - he performed "Hygge" solo on piano and vocals, interweaving it with "Firth of Fifth," what a rare talent, very beautiful performance!

Randy McStine and Adam Holzman - great take on "Here Comes the Flood," very moody ambient beginning and then Randy delivered a fantastic vocal!

Ryo Okumotu - gets my vote for best performance of the night, he put on a heck of a high energy rock show!
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice show, caught about an hour of it off and on.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Really enjoyed Enchant, Ryo and Nick Barrett!

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    I've been talking about KINDO (prev The Reign of Kindo) for years.
    https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...ighlight=Kindo
    https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...ighlight=Kindo

my wife and I watched a Josh Rouse live stream yesterday and had to run errands (plus she doesn't care for any of the music from this Prog show anyway). But I will try and watch the Kindo performance soon. I'm curious what the set list was.

I agree with all these highlights you mentioned - Ryo was #1 for me. I also really liked the Magenta performance, as well as the Kerzner/Perdomo song.

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    I generally don't get much from singer-songwriter solo type performances, often the music and instrumental parts are simplified so that the performer can focus on singing. For me, these were the highlights:

Reign of Kindo - full band performance, excellent! I'll be seeking out their recordings

Pete Jones - he performed "Hygge" solo on piano and vocals, interweaving it with "Firth of Fifth," what a rare talent, very beautiful performance!

Randy McStine and Adam Holzman - great take on "Here Comes the Flood," very moody ambient beginning and then Randy delivered a fantastic vocal!

Ryo Okumotu - gets my vote for best performance of the night, he put on a heck of a high energy rock show!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Agree with everything above, and I for sure will be exploring some of the artsists whose solo or just other projects I might not have heard. It was a win/win and hopefully another win in some more support for frontline workers.

One of my favorites was John Wesley doing Tom Sawyer. He does several different covers, and I think this is one I'd just never heard, and it was excellent. Just an electric guitar and his voice.

The messages from people who weren't performing but just dropping in were cool too. I won't spoil those for people who might watch the stream later.

Although the entire "Prog From Home" concert can still be viewed on YouTube, many of us are now reposting our individual performances.

Here is Adam Holzman and I tackling "Here Comes The Flood" with a nod to Fripp's "Water Music."

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    A really nice and subtle recreation.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I agree with the above but I thought everyone did a good job. Reign of Kindo really stood out for me as well, but I was really touched by the Pete Jones performance. Very moving.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Banned
    Watching it now. Great way to see and hear those musicians, sort of up close. They achieve a respectable sound quality. Interesting to see the choices of microphones.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RMcStine View Post
    Although the entire "Prog From Home" concert can still be viewed on YouTube, many of us are now reposting our individual performances.

Here is Adam Holzman and I tackling "Here Comes The Flood" with a nod to Fripp's "Water Music."

That was really nice

Banned
    w!
    Yeh listening now

Banned
    Mike Portnoy’s choice of a Jellyfish tune “I Wanna Stay Home” was appropriate and good. I read about Jellyfish being his favorite band. Jason Faulkner and Roger Manning of Jellyfish joined him which was incredible. Roger Manning plays in a new band called The Licorice Quartet a derivative of Jellyfish.