Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: McStine & Minnemann - Debut Album

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    Randy you blew me away on the Prog at Home thing today. The absolute highlight of the whole event. I knew you were talented but did not understand the scope. Color me impressed!
    Thanks again!

McStine & Minnemann - Debut Album

Just pre-ordered. I dig both you guys and all your music! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boceephus; 05-21-2020 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    Just pre-ordered. I dig both you guys and all your music! Thanks!
    Thank you!

We're releasing this song today for Deluxe Edition pre-orders. It's called "Catrina."

I'm excited about this release. Such a cool duo! Serious musicianship and creativity going on here. Cool to hear what you guys have come up with working together compared to what we've done with IC.

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by RMcStine View Post
    So far everything we've heard from this record is just killing me. Very excited for release.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    So far everything we've heard from this record is just killing me. Very excited for release.
    Thanks man!

Here's another brief excerpt of a song called "Tear The Walls Down (No Memories)."

Thanks man!

Here's another brief excerpt of a song called "Tear The Walls Down (No Memories)."

Great song! Love all of these clips with you guys playing.

Just a little bump for this one, as it comes out on Friday.

Here's a lighter song from the record:

Here's an interview with Marco and Randy all about the new album, including covering many of their older projects like Steven Wilson, The Fringe, etc...
    Interview is transcribed, or you can listen to the audio:
    https://www.sonicperspectives.com/in...rco-minnemann/

And here an album review of their debut collaboration:
    https://www.sonicperspectives.com/al...ine-minnemann/

It's a great release, check it out!

Old man of prog
    Contender for my yearly Top 10. Don't snooze on this one.

I listened this this quite a lot while working on projects in the garage this weekend. It's always great when your sander has a speed control so you can tune it to the key of the song you're listening to.

Very solid album. The music is catchy and has a lot of depth and detail to be revealed over time (when not running power tools).

Probably in the top 3 of my favorite things Marco has been involved with.

Going to have to check out The Fringe now (not sure why I let that one slip past).
    <sig out of order>

Marco has been doing so many projects during the past decade or so, although none have established him as a major prog artist. He tried for the Dream Theater drummer vacancy but that did not work out and have done stints with both Steven Wilson and Steve Morse, Eddie Jobson UK and as his obscure debut with supergroup Seas Within that needs no introduction. And his Continuum band but where does he stand? I wonder if this McStine project will finally break him as he deserves.

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Marco has been doing so many projects during the past decade or so, although none have established him as a major prog artist. He tried for the Dream Theater drummer vacancy but that did not work out and have done stints with both Steven Wilson and Steve Morse, Eddie Jobson UK and as his obscure debut with supergroup Seas Within that needs no introduction. And his Continuum band but where does he stand? I wonder if this McStine project will finally break him as he deserves.
    No doubt Marco is an extreme talent but don't sleep on this guy Randy McStine. I did and I'm now trying to make up for it. I was aware of his work in the Fringe and as a side guy on a number of other projects but when I saw his performance of "Here Comes the Flood" with Adam Holzman on "Prog From Home" a month or so ago he knocked my d**k in the dirt. Holy mother of G-d. Who knew he could sing like that? And his guitar solo was other-worldly. Guthrie Govan watch out. There's a new sherrif in town. Meantime loving this new album. Don't miss out

There's a bit of Randy's playing near the end of this, not to mention some other amazing players:

<sig out of order>

Thanks for all of the positive feedback here so far!

The record is starting to reach some people now (it's been out for less than a week), and there is a lot of detail for repeated listens.

In the words of the mighty King's X, "if you like what you hear, go tell somebody!"

hoping you play some of it when you open for brand x in september in albany (assuming the show actually happens...fingers crossed). and that you have copies for sale

The album is really good. Kind of a surprise for me, since I am not favorably inclined for this kind of "mainstream" prog (I don't know how else to put it). Good songs, lots of interesting ideas, excellently performed. And a fun, positive energy permeating the whole thing. Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    The album is really good. Kind of a surprise for me, since I am not favorably inclined for this kind of "mainstream" prog (I don't know how else to put it). Good songs, lots of interesting ideas, excellently performed. And a fun, positive energy permeating the whole thing. Congratulations!
    It's nice to see the word "fun" popping up frequently in relation to the album.

As for the "mainstream Prog" thing, I can tell you that it wasn't our intention to make a "Prog" album. However, if it's the lens that people choose to listen to it through, who I am to argue?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The album is really good, Randy! You're right that there's a lot for repeated listens. I recently posted a mini review on Bandcamp where I said it was kind of like a Utopia album with more shredding and a little more atmosphere. Also, someone on FB asked what everyone's Summer song was so far this summer and my answer was "Your Offences." That song is catchy as hell, and the lockdown video is a lot of fun.

Hey, have people been receiving copies from vendors yet? I preordered the digital download on Bandcamp but also preordered the CD from Laser's Edge. If it's been out for a week I'd think LE would have shipped it by now.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Hey, have people been receiving copies from vendors yet?
    I ordered the CD from Bandcamp and I've had it for a while now.
    <sig out of order>

For those of you (rightfully) raving about Randy McStine, be sure to check out his recent live album: https://rmcstine.bandcamp.com/album/...e-in-vancouver. Get the CD version as it has an extra song.

If you've been following his recent single stuff (also available on Bandcamp), it is mind-blowing how different these arrangements are vs the studio versions. Beyond the INCREDIBLE musicianship both instrumental and voice, the creativity to reimagine all these songs amazes me. Highly recommended.

Disclaimer: I met Randy once so I guess we are best friends now.

I would love to see The Fringe's RoSfest set released. That performance kicked some serious ass.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

hoping you play some of it when you open for brand x in september in albany (assuming the show actually happens...fingers crossed). and that you have copies for sale
    In theory, I will have a few tunes in the set from it and some CDs, but yeah, we'll see...

The album is really good, Randy! You're right that there's a lot for repeated listens. I recently posted a mini review on Bandcamp where I said it was kind of like a Utopia album with more shredding and a little more atmosphere. Also, someone on FB asked what everyone's Summer song was so far this summer and my answer was "Your Offences." That song is catchy as hell, and the lockdown video is a lot of fun.
    That is an interesting take that hadn't occurred to me until your post. Todd is definitely an influence on me, and I suppose if I think about my first album as Lo-Fi Resistance ("A Deep Breath" from 2010), there was a blend of pop/rock songwriting and progressive flourishes there that I naturally seem to gravitate towards.

For those of you (rightfully) raving about Randy McStine, be sure to check out his recent live album: https://rmcstine.bandcamp.com/album/...e-in-vancouver. Get the CD version as it has an extra song.

If you've been following his recent single stuff (also available on Bandcamp), it is mind-blowing how different these arrangements are vs the studio versions. Beyond the INCREDIBLE musicianship both instrumental and voice, the creativity to reimagine all these songs amazes me. Highly recommended.

Disclaimer: I met Randy once so I guess we are best friends now.
    Thank you, best friend! Did you happen to catch any of the gigs with The Pineapple Thief last year, or is the live record your first exposure to my solo set?

I would love to see The Fringe's RoSfest set released. That performance kicked some serious ass.
    I'll have to ask Reingold about that. He is the keeper of those files.

Thank you, best friend! Did you happen to catch any of the gigs with The Pineapple Thief last year, or is the live record your first exposure to my solo set?
    That's the first. Unfortunately, TPT didn't come anywhere near my town and I wasn't in a position to travel. I've seen you on CTTE a few times (Fringe and Kerzner), but not solo stuff. We said Hi in the hall on CTTE and I asked about buying a Blank album, so that's my claim to fame. "Before" is my favorite studio release but "Adopted Son" is amazing on the live album.

By the way, I get a strong Cardiacs vibe on Program; mainly the chord progressions of the fast bits. Have you ever considered them as an influence or it just a coincidental overlap of progressive pop sounds?