Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ZZ Top

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Is there a good live recording of them on cd?
    As TheH noted, Rockpalast is as good as you'll find - still relatively young and hungry, before they became video stars. The DVD is the better choice because you get the full show (CD cuts out about a half dozen songs).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

PS - I spun the 1st album last night....absolutely loved it. What a debut.

And Tejas has been rising up the ranks for me as well....I never liked it drenched in reverb but hearing it now (for real) is such a different experience. Its simply a great album and just totally fun.

If Kermanator is out there....he recommended one of the newer albums and I can't remember which one? You out there Dave?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Man, I never liked Tejas. Tres Hombres and Deguello were so great. I bought the Chrome, Smoke & BBQ box (new masters, not the 6pack ones) and my opinion on the Tejas material didn't change with the sonic Improvement.

^^

Sorry but Tejas does not work at all, they sound like a total different band.. so boring...

Listening to Tejas right now. I've had the CD for a few years. It's Only Love is very Stones-ish.

Ok ZZ fans, what is there to NOT like about Tejas? I think it's a fine album. ZZ got a little quirky around this time. I dig about as much as Deguello.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 05-03-2020 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Ok ZZ fans, what is there to NOT like about Tejas? I think it's a fine album. ZZ got a little quirky around this time. I dig about as much as Deguello.
    There is a reason why none of these tracks where ever played live later again. To tame to lame country tralala songs...

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    There is a reason why none of these tracks where ever played live later again. To tame to lame country tralala songs...
    It's a little weak, not as edgie as Deguello but it's kind of experimental. Fuck it, I like it.

Now playing Rhythmeen. This is metal ZZ Top. It swings, it's bluesy, it's got some drum loops, but it is heavy. It's my favorite ZZ Top album. I play it more than Tres Hombres or Deguello.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    As TheH noted, Rockpalast is as good as you'll find - still relatively young and hungry, before they became video stars. The DVD is the better choice because you get the full show (CD cuts out about a half dozen songs).
    That sucks about the cd. Not sure if I want to try to get the dvd though because it doesn’t look like it’s still in print.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just played El Loco on YT. I don't have the album but it's there on Youtube. It's part of the same trilogy, Tejas, Deguello, El Loco. It's quirky, experimental ZZ Top. I like El Loco. Sue me.

Me, "Tres Hombres" yesterday and really enjoyed it!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

And now I'm listening to.......Mezcalero. oof. Just as raunchy and heavy as Rhythmeen.

^ but it's quirky like El Loco and Deguello. Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    ^^

Sorry but Tejas does not work at all, they sound like a total different band.. so boring...
    Not boring to me, and its different and that's why I dig it. Works for this guy.......

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Me, "Tres Hombres" yesterday and really enjoyed it!.
    Yeah man! Great great album.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Agreed.

My ZZ Top listening over the last few days:

About a week or so ago I spun the first album, before this thread started. Awesome, always dig that one! Top notch raw raunchy blues rock!

A few days ago I spun Deguelo. It's really good, but maybe not as good as I remembered. There are a couple of tracks that while I wouldn't say they are weak, they aren't exactly highlights. Can't recall which just now. Still a good album but I'm beginning to re-think it a bit.

Last night I spun Eliminator. This one is also a bit of a mixed bag. Honestly, the hits are the highlights, particularly the largely forgotten Got Me Under Pressure and obviously TV Dinners. The other thing that struck me was that Gimme and Sharp Dressed aren't as "synth heavy" as I'd remembered. Yeah, the beats are somewhat simplified, but ZZ Top is not exactly known for polyrhythms and odd time signatures. The drums are basically fine. Legs is where the synths kick in fully, but honestly it isn't so bad either, if you don't have to listen to it every day. It's the other tracks that sort of drag this one down. Again, not awful, but nothing special, and not up to the catchy quality of the hits.

Tonight I spun the two red-headed step children, Tejas and El Loco. I have to confess, I loved them. Tejas in particular seems really solid. I think I have vastly underrated this album. It definitely has a softer vibe, the songs don't his as hard. But I find it a nicely balanced sound. Asleep in the Desert is a beautiful ending. A real surprise for me, I'm not sure why I sort of dismissed this one in the past; maybe because everyone else does.

El Loco was also a wonderful listen. Here there are two tracks that don't work as well, the ones with the 50s vibe and one with some strained singing from Gibbons (Leila, I think). But the rest, wow! Especially Groovy Little Hippie Pad and Heaven, Hell or Houston, where they synths I guess make their first appearance. But what a weird and wonderful little track! Three hits off this record, maybe four if you count 10 Foot Pole, which I know I heard on the radio back in the day. Not bad for a band that was "out of ideas." Again, rethinking this one too!

Anyway, all interesting stuff and even the "lesser" stuff still does it for me for basic rock and roll. Plenty more in the box set to revisit.

Bill

OK, I toobed ZZ TOP's Tejas following the reactions to ly remark saying that I liked it about as much as TH or Deguello.

I certainly enjoyed it (first listen since the late 80's) and almost as much as Deguello. It's about as fun as Deguello, and if memory serves so was Hombres (last heard in the early 00's).
    Yeah, there are small traces of country rock (the album closer), but certainly not at alarm level for my C&W allergies to kick in.

For some reasons, the same fun/humour didn't work with me on El Loco and its Tubesnake Boogie single, as I remember (almost 40 years ago) it all sounded like they were forcing it or trying to hard and were short of ideas (these was three years between T and D and only 2 between D and EL)

So my top 3 ZZ albums are Deguello, Tejas & Hombres. I may even rebuy Tejas, but there is no emergency.
    Last edited by Trane; 05-05-2020 at 10:29 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

ISTR Rhino's CDs from the mid 2000s had 70s live recordings as bonus tracks. The best of Rancho Texicano also has a live version of 'Cheap Sunglasses', this was apparently first on a 12":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancho_Texicano

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    So my top 3 ZZ albums are Deguello, Tejas & Hombres. I may even rebuy Tejas, but there is no emergency.
    Fandando isn't in there? The studio side is killer imo, and the live side is too

"Blue Jean Blues" is just KILLER. Billy's vocals are just great and his guitar tone is insane! I just totally dig that laid-back feel. This tune gets repeated in my headphones. You can really hear every string pick attack and his left hand technique so vividly on this track. The engineering really captured them on this beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    My ZZ Top listening over the last few days:

About a week or so ago I spun the first album, before this thread started. Awesome, always dig that one! Top notch raw raunchy blues rock!

A few days ago I spun Deguelo. It's really good, but maybe not as good as I remembered. There are a couple of tracks that while I wouldn't say they are weak, they aren't exactly highlights. Can't recall which just now. Still a good album but I'm beginning to re-think it a bit.

Last night I spun Eliminator. This one is also a bit of a mixed bag. Honestly, the hits are the highlights, particularly the largely forgotten Got Me Under Pressure and obviously TV Dinners. The other thing that struck me was that Gimme and Sharp Dressed aren't as "synth heavy" as I'd remembered. Yeah, the beats are somewhat simplified, but ZZ Top is not exactly known for polyrhythms and odd time signatures. The drums are basically fine. Legs is where the synths kick in fully, but honestly it isn't so bad either, if you don't have to listen to it every day. It's the other tracks that sort of drag this one down. Again, not awful, but nothing special, and not up to the catchy quality of the hits.

Tonight I spun the two red-headed step children, Tejas and El Loco. I have to confess, I loved them. Tejas in particular seems really solid. I think I have vastly underrated this album. It definitely has a softer vibe, the songs don't his as hard. But I find it a nicely balanced sound. Asleep in the Desert is a beautiful ending. A real surprise for me, I'm not sure why I sort of dismissed this one in the past; maybe because everyone else does.

El Loco was also a wonderful listen. Here there are two tracks that don't work as well, the ones with the 50s vibe and one with some strained singing from Gibbons (Leila, I think). But the rest, wow! Especially Groovy Little Hippie Pad and Heaven, Hell or Houston, where they synths I guess make their first appearance. But what a weird and wonderful little track! Three hits off this record, maybe four if you count 10 Foot Pole, which I know I heard on the radio back in the day. Not bad for a band that was "out of ideas." Again, rethinking this one too!

Anyway, all interesting stuff and even the "lesser" stuff still does it for me for basic rock and roll. Plenty more in the box set to revisit.

Bill
    Excellent Bill. I need to give El Loco more spin time, but I've been hitting all of the stuff up to Deguello a bunch of times. Tejas really surprised me too - much more enjoyable without the crap reverb. That final track is very nice. I also largely agree with Eliminator - it's aged better than I though it would have (imo). This music is just hitting the spot for me right now - it's fun, unique, and WAY more diverse than these guys usually get credit for. I haven't even gotten into the newer stuff post-Recycler. Damn Netflix documentary!

Very cool video I watched the other night. Great info and this guy seems genuinely nice. A must for Billy Gibbons guitar nerds.

Outstanding live rig interview/rundown.

Didn't read the whole thread, but when I hear the name ZZ Top the first thing that pops in my head is "drum machine". Except for the very early releases, I can't listen to anything of theirs. The drums drive me nuts.

^^^^
    that treads like it's something Svetty would say
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    F
    "Blue Jean Blues" is just KILLER. Billy's vocals are just great and his guitar tone is insane! I just totally dig that laid-back feel. This tune gets repeated in my headphones. You can really hear every string pick attack and his left hand technique so vividly on this track. The engineering really captured them on this beautifully.

This song is some sort of a national anthem in Greece. I don't know why. It's stuff that if you didn't know in high school, you could get beaten up. I am exaggerating - just a bit - but it's easily their most played and recognizable song in my country. And it's fabulous indeed.