Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miley Cyrus Covers Pink Floyd From Her Back Yard On Virtual SNL Last Night

Miley Cyrus Covers Pink Floyd From Her Back Yard On Virtual SNL Last Night

I actually thought this was pretty good.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    We enjoyed this last night.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I actually thought this was pretty good.
    It's quite OK. Sounds like the way Dolly Parton might have done it, if you can imagine that. She has a pretty decent C&W voice, as heard (I presume) without Autotune or other heavy studio trickery. I wasn't nuts about the "na na na" part - it would have been nice to hear a mandolin playing that line, then disappearing into the guitar part when she was singing. It's an illustration of how a good song doesn't depend on arrangement tricks to work; it was never meant as country, but makes a surprisingly good country tune.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    It's quite OK. Sounds like the way Dolly Parton might have done it, if you can imagine that. She has a pretty decent C&W voice, as heard (I presume) without Autotune or other heavy studio trickery. I wasn't nuts about the "na na na" part - it would have been nice to hear a mandolin playing that line, then disappearing into the guitar part when she was singing.
    I love Miley, but yr right- this sounds like an American Idol C&W version.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

It's quite OK. Sounds like the way Dolly Parton might have done it, if you can imagine that. She has a pretty decent C&W voice, as heard (I presume) without Autotune or other heavy studio trickery. I wasn't nuts about the "na na na" part - it would have been nice to hear a mandolin playing that line, then disappearing into the guitar part when she was singing. It's an illustration of how a good song doesn't depend on arrangement tricks to work; it was never meant as country, but makes a surprisingly good country tune.
    Not bad indeed and I agree on the na na na thing.

It's quite OK. Sounds like the way Dolly Parton might have done it, if you can imagine that. She has a pretty decent C&W voice, as heard (I presume) without Autotune or other heavy studio trickery.
    Ya know - that is the first thought that popped into my head as well. Glad I wasn't crazy. Dolly is actually Miley's godmother.

It’s ok. Not revelatory, not terrible.
    Kinda coffeehouse/bookstore plus.
    WYWH seems to be the de facto PF song for anyone and everyone to cover these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye-Ergot View Post
    WYWH seems to be the de facto PF song for anyone and everyone to cover these days.
    Yeh. Speaking of terrible.

On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Quote Originally Posted by Rye-Ergot View Post
    I'd rather hear her cover of "Careful With That Axe, Eugene."
    Infinite Ceiling on www.ckcufm.com every Thursday night at 8:30 with me or Mark Keill, archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/112/...tml?filter=all
    Electronic Meditation on www.ckcufm.com archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/...tml?filter=all

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    I'd rather hear her cover of "Careful With That Axe, Eugene."
    Maybe reimagined as a duet with Dolly...
    “Careful With That Axe, Jolene...”

It's surreal to me to see this young pop diva doing this classic Floyd song, a song I first heard seeing PF in concert in Los Angeles in 1975, many years before her birth. Performance? It was ok, but maybe Miley is finally starting to grow up. She dressed appropriately, the song wasn't the usual pop trash that she normally spews and she didn't simulate having intercourse before the cameras! If she's a Floyd fan, then kudos to her. Oh I did think she was cute as Hannah Montana!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

There is nothing sacred about the song; it was appropriate to the moment, it was sung respectfully and with feeling, and the only downside comes from whatever negativity is brought by the individual viewer. Didn't like it? Look inside yourself for the reason why. I just wish the 12-string had been in slightly better tune.

Ah She's pretty good, I really like her album with Flaming Lips, the Dead Petz, ace modern psych.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It's at least something I wouldn't have just automatically fast forwarded past. I'm just glad they threw us a bone.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    There is nothing sacred about the song; it was appropriate to the moment, it was sung respectfully and with feeling, and the only downside comes from whatever negativity is brought by the individual viewer. Didn't like it? Look inside yourself for the reason why.
    Very well said. Especially considering that a poster above referred to it as an "abortion". Just a tad hyperbolic, that.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

A decent version and a good illustration how timeless the theme of the song is.

Also, best episode of SNL this season
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    It's surreal to me to see this young pop diva doing this classic Floyd song, a song I first heard seeing PF in concert in Los Angeles in 1975, many years before her birth. Performance? It was ok, but maybe Miley is finally starting to grow up. She dressed appropriately, the song wasn't the usual pop trash that she normally spews and she didn't simulate having intercourse before the cameras! If she's a Floyd fan, then kudos to her. Oh I did think she was cute as Hannah Montana!
    “The Wall” was a bit hit with young fans of the punk and new wave slant. I can’t remember the exact concert, but the there was a memorial that included a couple of acoustic guitar players and at least one of the grunge movement, that covered WYWH and IMO that put that song on the playlist for younger listeners in the last 10-15 years. Pink Floyd is art-pop now. It started as Art rock (psych - prog). I really don’t understand the feelings of of surreality. With Roger Waters playing bluegrass at DelFest it just goes to show the power of “Money”.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    A decent version and a good illustration how timeless the theme of the song is.

Also, best episode of SNL this season
    That’s not saying much about SNL. I have gone from hating the post Belushi early 80’s, to thinking that the late 80’s and 90’s were the best shows of all time, to being neutral, to hating the show for the last 3 years. Brad Pitt is a moron and an example of how low talent wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    That’s not saying much about SNL. I have gone from hating the post Belushi early 80’s, to thinking that the late 80’s and 90’s were the best shows of all time, to being neutral, to hating the show for the last 3 years. Brad Pitt is a moron and an example of how low talent wins.
    You must be a blast to hang out with.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

It was ok I guess, but there's nothing there that would make me ever want to listen to it again
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord
    It's surreal to me to see this young pop diva doing this classic Floyd song, a song I first heard seeing PF in concert in Los Angeles in 1975, many years before her birth.
    So you were at the 1975 Pink Floyd LAPD anti-weed convention, too?

I thought she did a tolerable job singing the song, but her voice seems not so good these days. Singers gotta take care of that voice; wouldn't want to end up like another pop singer whose voice has been frequently compared to that of a billy goat. Maybe I was just disappointed because SNL said Lindsey Buckingham was going to be the musical guest, and he wasn't. Oh, well.
    if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    There is nothing sacred about the song; it was appropriate to the moment, it was sung respectfully and with feeling, and the only downside comes from whatever negativity is brought by the individual viewer. Didn't like it? Look inside yourself for the reason why. I just wish the 12-string had been in slightly better tune.
    You mean that if you don't care for this rendition of the PF song there must be something wrong with you, inside your mind perhaps? Maybe a psychologist could be of service then.

My view is that it is another example of an attention-getter pop star trying to get more attention. Musically speaking, it's pretty insipid pap that, as stated previously, doesn't warrant a second audition.

Now, if you want to hear a really excellent cover of a Pink Floyd classic, recall this little gem from 1977 :

rosebud have a cigar youtube - Bing video

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...dQBRE%26sp%3d5

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post

Now, if you want to hear a really excellent cover of a Pink Floyd classic, recall this little gem from 1977 :

rosebud have a cigar youtube - Bing video
    Terrible, but an outstanding job compared to this one:

Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

^^^^

Oh, my gosh that hurts the eardrums. I do like the way the "lead" singer created his own reverb though; "relax, relax, relax ...."