Tracks Listing
    1. Evening Star (4:53)
    2. Master James Of St. George (6:19)
    3. Victorian Brickwork (12:33)
    4. Last Train (6:28)
    5. Winchester Diver (7:31)
    6. The Underfall Yard (22:54)

Line-up:
    - David Longdon / vocals, flute (1,5,6), mandolin (1,2,5), dulcimer (1), organ (1), tambourine (3), psaltery (1), glockenspiel (1,6), keyboards (5), vocals arrangements
    - Greg Spawton / guitars, keyboards, bass, arrangements
    - Andy Poole / bass, keyboards, arrangements & producer
    - Nick D'Virgilio / drums, vocals (3,6)
    With:
    - Dave Gregory / guitars (EBow tr.2), electric sitar (1,6), Mellotron (3)
    - Francis Dunnery / guitar (6)
    - Jem Godfrey / synthesizer solos (6)
    - Jon Foyle / cello (3,4,5) & electric cello (1)
    - Dave Desmond / trombone & brass arrangements (1,3,6)
    - Rich Evans / cornet (1,3,6)
    - Nick Stones/ French horn (1,3,6)
    - Jon Truscott / tuba (1,3,6)

Here is what Darryl (AKA Zravkapt) had to say about it on PA
    This is the first album I heard from these guys; I wanted to check it out due to all the positive reviews this was getting. Before listening to this, I wasn't sure I was going to like it much. Turns out I enjoyed it a lot more than I ever thought I would. You can definitely hear a Genesis influence in the music, but it also sounds more modern as well. Lots of guest musicans on the album, some more famous than others. The lyrics are very England- oriented. This is apparently a concept album about Victorian England.

The album opens with great a capella harmony vocals in the otherwise instrumental "Evening Star". Great electric piano and tom-tom centred drumming at first. Nice flute solo. Great brass at the end. "Master James Of St. George" has great marching style drumming and catchy lyrics. Unlike the vocals on the first track, I don't really like the harmony vocals here. I do like the bass and the guitar solo in the middle, which continues until the vocals come back. Nice whistling and the sound of waves at the end.

I don't like the beginning of "Victorian Brickwork" very much. It's the second longest song but overall doesn't do much for me until over halfway with the eerie piano and crazy drumming. Then a hard rock riff. Good ending with the keyboards and brass before some vocals, acoustic guitar and flute finish it. "Winchester Diver" has good sounding synth at the start. Good flute and guitar work in this song. The flute melody is great and is sometimes double- tracked. I like the backwards effects before the singing begins and violin comes in. Gets very Genesis sounding near the end. Backwards effects with eerie music comes back at the end.

The almost 23 minute title track has some good guitar playing and drumming at the beginning before some great piano chords. Followed by more great playing and then the vocals start. I like the parts with the line "he can still see faaaaar..." Good guitar solo around the 5 minute mark. Cool Mellotron in this track (or is it a digital imitation like a Memotron?) Nice synth solo around 6 1/2 minutes. The harmony vocals halfway are good. Some subtle but good use of (electric?) sitar throughout the piece. Another good synth solo after 15 minutes, followed by some great cello. Later on some great organ playing. More great harmony vocals. You hear the sounds of people making noises at one point. Later a Wakeman-style synth solo; not as good as the others IMO. Ends with some sitar arpeggios. This epic generally flows well but some parts are better than others.

The sound and production is very well done. The compositions are good and the playing is genrally great. I can see why many like this album, but this is usually not my kind of music. I'm not sure if I would enjoy their earlier albums or not. I enjoyed this album for the most part, but I don't think it's something I would listen to very often. Recommended to Symph and Neo fans. I would rate this as 3.5 but I'll bump it up to 4 stars

Last edited by Trane; 04-24-2020 at 08:41 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The only one of theirs that I've kept.

It's... Ok.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    This clearly the very best BBT release in their full catalog. I quite like to title track but, unlike the reviewer, Victorian Brickwall, is light years ahead of everyting else and my favourite track, the whistful lyrics, "Moonlight and oceantide, a love I never meant to hide", are a sad statement that I can relate to my own failed relationships. It's something I play over and over. Fortunatly, I'm in a great place now relationship wise.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

It's... Ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    This clearly the very best BBT release in their full catalog. I quite like to title track but, unlike the reviewer, Victorian Brickwall, is light years ahead of everyting else and my favourite track, the whistful lyrics, "Moonlight and oceantide, a love I never meant to hide", are a sad statement that I can relate to my own failed relationships. It's something I play over and over. Fortunatly, I'm in a great place now relationship wise.
    My first and favorite BBT album.
    Purchased English Electric and tried repeatedly to like it, especially after rave reviews everywhere. Thought maybe I missed something.
    I check out each new release by listening to samples and YT versions, but doesn't sit with me like this one.

I think David Langton has a wonderful voice, but it wears on me after awhile, overly emotive and it overwhelms the music and becomes tiring, so much I can't listen.
    Wound up donating the double disc English Electric but hold on to the Underfall Yard.

But I think they're a extremely talented band and I understand why other's like them.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Their best Album, I like the "Difference Machine" even more (but I'm most likely the ony one).
    EE Part 1 and Far Skies are also rather good.

They totally lost it afterwards and got really samey and boring...

The least of the Longdon era but still a good listen.

It's... Ok.
    I own none and never did, though I did borrow one (the one here) from a buddy.
    I set myself to feature also albums that I don't particularly appreciate in genres that I'm not necessarily attracted to.
    Can't help but thinking of Yes in all too many places.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm glad someone is reading the reviews I post, because I do tend to select them after a reading, not just point a dart and take whichever the dart has fallen upon
    Last edited by Trane; 04-28-2020 at 04:35 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Like a lot of music I listen to no matter the genre, some things just grab my ear while others do not. BBT has always been in the latter category. It's music I should like - lots of melody, great playing, lots of soloing. However, for some reason that I can't put into words, they've never really grabbed my attention. The album is pleasant to listen to - exhilarating at times - and overall a nice listen that I would put into the "comfort" category. The trouble is that I've listened to this album and others by BBT on numerous occasions and cannot remember any of it afterwards. Not a snippet of melody - nothing.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I think I need to hear this again. I’ve only heard most of BBT’s albums a time or two, but I remember liking this one most, probably Grand Tour second, and most of the others are kind of a blur. The one I’m most familiar with—if you can phrase it like that—would have to be The Difference Machine, and I’ve never really connected with it. It seems to be of that nebulous, wishy-washy variety of “kind of prog, kind of ‘alternative,’ but not really either all the way.” That sub-genre seemed to (mercifully) die with their most high-profile purveyors, Porcupine Tree.

The Underfall Yard is not that. And that is what I liked about it.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I was a latecomer to BBT but man, they just resonate for me. Most of the time I have no idea what David is singing about but it never fails to interest me and lift me. The last couple albums have somewhat lost the spark (though the live album is special) but UY is where they really went into high gear.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    It seems to be of that nebulous, wishy-washy variety of “kind of prog, kind of ‘alternative,’ but not really either all the way.” That sub-genre seemed to (mercifully) die with their most high-profile purveyors, Porcupine Tree.
    To be fair, only on a "prog site" would PTree be designated a "[…] most high-profile purveyor" of said approach, and mostly due to Wilson's internally approved "alibi" through his mixing jobs on classic "prog" material. Independent and/or alternative artists digging into multiple aspects and various sorts of progressive rock music - and usually coming up with something more rewarding and challenging than Wilson - were all over the place already 20+ years ago. BBT, on the other hand, are digging into certain given names and ideas.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

My first and favorite BBT though EE1&2 come close. I took me a while to like it but once it sank in I got and still get quite a lot of pleasure from it.

I bought UY soon after it came out. My younger daughter was a toddler at the time and my wife worked weekends pretty regularly so I would put on the CD and play with Sarah for hours. Sometimes playing with a toddler is great fun and at other times trying; BBT was a great background CD for both of those situations. I probably played it several times a weekend, more than any other disc in 2010-2012.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I bought UY soon after it came out. My younger daughter was a toddler at the time and my wife worked weekends pretty regularly so I would put on the CD and play with Sarah for hours. Sometimes playing with a toddler is great fun and at other times trying; BBT was a great background CD for both of those situations. I probably played it several times a weekend, more than any other disc in 2010-2012.
    Well I lived nearly exactly the same thing with that record. More than any other album, it reminds me of the time when my daughter was a toddler, and I stayed at home with her. It encapsulates the special emotions that are associated with that time, and especially "Victorian Brickwork", which stood out for me on the first listen, and has remained a favourite.

I also loved EE a few years later, because I felt they were evolving and were incorporating more hooks, and successfully so IMO. It has become a prog band I can listen to with my daughter, which is something valuable. These days I'm still very much interested in what they are doing, but the excitement level is lower. I may have become used to a formula, and I may be a little tired of DL's sometimes over-dramatic singing. There is still an impressive level of quality in their music. I'm glad I bought TUY upon release.
    Last edited by Interstellar; 04-25-2020 at 04:32 PM.

This was the first album from Big Big Train 2.0 (my designation) when they switched vocalists from Sean Filkins to David Longdon. I'm still a big fan of BBT 1.0 going all they way back to TGAOS in 1994. This album was a real eye-opener when it came out in 2009. I still enjoy it and play it often now.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Like a lot of music I listen to no matter the genre, some things just grab my ear while others do not. BBT has always been in the latter category. It's music I should like - lots of melody, great playing, lots of soloing. However, for some reason that I can't put into words, they've never really grabbed my attention. The album is pleasant to listen to - exhilarating at times - and overall a nice listen that I would put into the "comfort" category. The trouble is that I've listened to this album and others by BBT on numerous occasions and cannot remember any of it afterwards. Not a snippet of melody - nothing.
    +1

Probably their most consistent album. There are later songs I enjoy more from albums less consistent.

I entered at "The Difference Machine" and exited at "Folklore". Pleasant albums but nothing special. Listened to most of their albums though. "English Electric" (1st) and this one, are still their best to my ears.

On their post 2016 albums they are pure Genesis clones (yet much unispired) for me.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 04-29-2020 at 08:00 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Probably their most consistent album. There are later songs I enjoy more from albums less consistent.
    I think it's the same way for me. Although I love "Victorian Brickwork" and that one has stuck with me for the past 10 years.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Glad to read all the postive feedback on Victorian Brickwall. As I said, my favourite track.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Evening Star is my favorite BBT track. Love it !!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    To be fair, only on a "prog site" would PTree be designated a "[…] most high-profile purveyor" of said approach, and mostly due to Wilson's internally approved "alibi" through his mixing jobs on classic "prog" material. Independent and/or alternative artists digging into multiple aspects and various sorts of progressive rock music - and usually coming up with something more rewarding and challenging than Wilson - were all over the place already 20+ years ago. BBT, on the other hand, are digging into certain given names and ideas.
    I think the phrase, "most high-profile purveyors" was meant to be tongue-in-cheek but I could be mistaken.

So... Steven Wilson really sticks in your craw, eh? So is it ok to like P-tree and Wilson or are we just drinking the koolaid?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    This was my first BBT album and I loved it immediately. I went back and bought The Difference Machine but didn't like. I wound up getting the two English Electric albums and love them too. But that's it. That three album run really captures a Genesis middle period vibe for me. I tried getting into the last few albums but they fall flat for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I think the phrase, "most high-profile purveyors" was meant to be tongue-in-cheek but I could be mistaken.

So... Steven Wilson really sticks in your craw, eh?
    I think you're a bit mistaken there, LockBox. But you know, I simply -HAD- to part ways with Wilson when he started sticking in that craw of mine. I'd stuck around with him since his first cassette utterance in 1989, but now the time had come to finish off, to close down and shut the lights. And it sure as hell wasn't easy, I can tell you as much. I mean, c'mon - Wilson? Wilson? Can't live either with or without him! I know I'm getting overly personal, emotional and candid - but oh Lord that Wilson.

Banned
    ^^^ Thanks for the chuckle.

An item of possible interest to big big fans of Big Big Train: A 140 min concert recorded at Cardogan Hall by Big Big Train is available for viewing on Amazon Prime. It's entitled Reflectors Of Light, and shows a 2020 release date on Prime.