Thread: Goosebumps

Goosebumps

Just wondered what you guys thought about this.

For some people it’s David Bowie. For others it’s Franz Liszt. But regardless of the genre, when the right chords combine, many people will get goose bumps or a chill up the spine.

Your Brain Knows What Songs Are For, No Matter Where They Came From
    The Eurovision Song Contest Rocks Europe This Week. Here’s How It All Got Started
    Somewhere between a half to two-thirds of the population have this reaction, yet scientists have long debated why. Past research has shown that when experiencing "the chills," the neurotransmitter dopamine floods through the body. But a new study published in the journal Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience details what happens in the brain when the soprano hits the high note, reports Ian Sample for The Guardian.

These reactions are known as frissons—an aesthetic chill also sometimes called a “skin orgasm,” Mitchell Colver, doctoral student at Utah State University, writes for The Conversation. Though they are usually associated with listening to music, some can even get the willies while looking at art or watching a movie.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...lls-180959481/
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

The Lydian mode is guilty!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs from Suppers Ready
    and
    There is a flute break in the last third of side 1 of Thick as a Brick that never fails to give me a frisson.

DtB

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Stairway to Gilligan's Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs from Suppers Ready
    and
    There is a flute break in the last third of side 1 of Thick as a Brick that never fails to give me a frisson.

DtB
    I forgot I posted this. Shit, I was sober, dammit. I really think I'm losing it.

But yeah, moment's like you posted. One off the top is those four notes on the french horns at the end of DT's Octavarium. Or the death solo at the end of Soliloquy in 2112.

Jacob's Ladder is another. I get why they didn't play it for decades but damn, that ending is perfect.

It usually is a dramatic ending or maybe it's just the song itself that causes goosebumps. I have had that moment many times.

So many variables, yet so interesting to think about those moments we have had. That's life, baby. Are you alive? Do you feel the Magic Power?

Pun intended and I felt a dramatic pause was needed.

Experiencing "...on the hill we viewed the silence of the valley..." finale live with Yes Symphonic was such a (if not "the") moment!

Edit, come to think of it - the dobro solos in the album version of Paper Airplane with Alison Krauss and Union Station works every time.
    Last edited by hFx; 04-26-2020 at 05:35 AM.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Piloerection is a sure sign to pay attention.

The tail end of "Bridge Over Troubled Water."

I always associated it with experiencing perfection in music.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Good Morning Sunday ~

'Skin Orgasm' eh! Well, THAT explains it...

I have those musicgasms all the time. Quite often, accompanied by tears. A wonderful, wonderful feeling. Amongst many, many other contributers to that lifes joy, first to my mind was Renaissance/Annie Haslam ~ when she hits that far North octave that she does so very well.

Song for all Seasons Indeed

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    Good Morning Sunday ~

Renaissance/Annie Haslam
    Chris Buckley
    [QUOTE
    Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    Experiencing "...on the hill we viewed the silence of the valley..." finale live with Yes Symphonic was such a (if not "the") moment!
    ][/QUOTE]

Annie is a Goddess and could sing physics papers and sound beautiful.

Yes symphonic is great. I love the kids and how much they really loved playing that music.

A thought just hit me from across the universe. Once this bullshit is over I'm going to terrorize my friends with Renaissance. Gonna play them on the jukebox over and over.

My twisted idea of a good evening.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Annie is a Goddess and could sing physics papers and sound beautiful.

Yes symphonic is great. I love the kids and how much they really loved playing that music.

A thought just hit me from across the universe. Once this bullshit is over I'm going to terrorize my friends with Renaissance. Gonna play them on the jukebox over and over.

My twisted idea of a good evening.
    I wanna be your friend.