Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Univers Zero Neglected Prog

Univers Zero Neglected Prog

Avant as this:

to the beauty of this:

hugely underrated

Unfortunately UZ imploded around 2014. That might have something to do with the present negligence.

http://universzero.dk/

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Unfortunately UZ imploded around 2014. That might have something to do with the present negligence.
    You need to blame the people who spent 25 years trying to help. Get with the 'official' program.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Not neglected to me. I'm happy to say I got to see them live twice (and I believe Steve Feigenbaum said those were the only two times they ever played Stateside).

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    They played in Montreal, Quebec, at the FMPM progressive rock festival.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I suppose they are "neglected" by unversed voices at Prog Mag (et. al.) and with the average Dream Theater/sympho-metal buff, but that's about it. But then again if you've just recently come across UZ, I can see how the impression of them as "underrated" might be somewhat overwhelming. When I discovered names like UZ, Present, Debile Menthol, Blast and ca. 137 other leftfield progressive artists myself, I wasn't merely exhilarated by the sheer revelation of the music involved but also disappointed by the shortcomings of an official "prog" narrative which for whatever inexplicable reason omitted all attention to it. These bands were more musically accomplished and challenging and transcendent than anything in rock I'd heard previously up until that point - so why weren't "progs" more taken with it? Answer given; the narrative itself. Progressive rock was obviously never intended to develop beyond a certain mark, and one set by its apparent popularity. Listeners are into names and identities - including their own and how dots connect - more than the music itself.

UZ are legendary and will remain so. it's all about the knowledge of power and the power to define relevance, which again emanates from the power of knowledge'n'shit.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    ^^^ I'd say the same thing generally applies to most if not all the RIO/Avant-type bands. I guess Henry Cow actually got real backing for a few months in late '73 early '74 before Unrest came out and even Branson & Co. said, "Wait a minute! WTF is this shit anyway?". But to be fair, this music obviously has limited commercial appeal and I doubt most Prog readers, sympho-nympho weenies or assorted corporate-feed sheople would ever be interested regardless of promotion.

Perhaps if Daniel Denis had the good sense to loosen up a bit, unbutton his shirt, wear a few gold-plated dog turds on chains around his neck and pose for an album cover with the gang in front of some palm trees they might have had their "Love Beach" moment.
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 04-20-2020 at 03:59 PM.

Part of the problem is they have so much good music out there, and people just keep obsessing over the one album (Heresie), which I don’t even think is their best work.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Part of the problem is they have so much good music out there, and people just keep obsessing over the one album (Heresie), which I don’t even think is their best work.
    I was not aware of that. I generally think of Uzed as my favorite, with Ceux de Dehors also having a special place because it was the first thing I heard by them. But all their albums are fantastic, so there's really not much in it.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Hardly neglected, they are one of the most respected and enjoyed RIO/Avant bands out there with plenty of discussion here.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I was not aware of that. I generally think of Uzed as my favorite
    This is the way.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Not in my experience, most of their albums are well regarded and I've heard multiple favorites amongst the first 5. Personally I go for Ceux De Dehors.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    You need to blame the people who spent 25 years trying to help. Get with the 'official' program.
    Can't decide between or .

No neglect here.

One of the greatest bands of all time imo.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Banned
    I agree. They are simply bristling with ideas, memorable melodies, and beautiful and subtle arrangements. I would almost say awesome. My favorite is Ceux de Dehors, but it’s not an easy choice. Maybe because I know that one so well.
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 04-21-2020 at 01:29 AM.

There's this funny video on YouTube where this '70s prog critic profiles the track "Docteur Petiot" and discovers what it's about as the tape rolls.

Ceux de Dehors and Uzed are my favourite ones. I also like the final two albums very much.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Hardly neglected, they are one of the most respected and enjoyed RIO/Avant bands out there with plenty of discussion here.
    Yeah, I'd have to agree. Part of my always considered UZ the most popular RIO/Avant band. (I suppose Henry Cow might be more "famous" but they are definitely a tougher listen.) But I might be talking out of my ass.

All that is of course relative. I'm by no means saying UZ is popular amongst prog fans in general and certainly not saying they are popular writ large.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Amazing band with many amazing albums. One my personal favorites is "Clivages", which was released over 30 years after their recording debut. Not many groups are able to keep such a high standard after so many years. Magma? VdGG?

"Heresie" is of course a legendary album, but I don't see it oveshadowing "Ceuz du Dehors" or "Uzed" or even "Heatwave", which are all downright classics. Not to mention 1313, their first, and even the great "Crawling wind".

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    We didn't neglect them at all. They headlined NEARfest in 2004. They were amazing.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Jones the Jug View Post
    There's this funny video on YouTube where this '70s prog critic profiles the track "Docteur Petiot" and discovers what it's about as the tape rolls.
    Reaction videos are cancer.

What is Daniel Denis doing today (6 years after)?
    Playing drums or keyboards?

Growing potatoes?

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Reaction videos are cancer.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    If only the people who spent 25 years trying to help didn't give up so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I suppose they are "neglected" by unversed voices at Prog Mag (et. al.) and with the average Dream Theater/sympho-metal buff, but that's about it..
    AKA the same bunch of turkeys who were peeved when Magma were chosen as one of the headlining bands for NEARfest 2003. I couldn't believe there were people who were actually upset about that. One of the defining bands of "art rock" (or whatever you want to call it), who at the time, had only ever played a handful of Stateside gigs, and you're poo-pooing them being a headliner?! What the frell?! Next you're gonna tell me that Doctor Who isn't the greatest TV show of all time!