Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: African Prog/Psych/Rock

Banned
    Thanks for all the informative posts, it's what I was hoping for. Never heard of uKanDanZ, that is some heavy synchopated-riff based stuff there, excellent. Mahmoud Ahmed & Ibex Band was also unknown to me and on first listen, really tasty stuff so I think I will explore that one. Fela Kuti is a legend, the pioneer of Afrobeat and if that weren't enough, he became a key political figure and human rights activist in Nigeria. Anyone who doesn't know him should take a look (and a listen). Looks like the Witch might be the next thing to check out, might even go for that box set if I dig it. So thanks again for all the info!

I do like Demon Fuzz and ZZebra and I love Tinariwen, started buying their CDs several years ago when I became aware of them. This thread has broadened beyond what I intended but that's fine with me - keep 'em coming!

Banned
    Sukuma Bin Ongaro is one of progenitors of the East African guitar sound, he was a popular guitarist and band leader in Kenya in the 70's. Here's a relatively recent video I found of him where he was "persuaded to summon the old songs":
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 04-20-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Another very good album.

Banned
    ^^^ Nice stuff! Rhythms, horns, vocals, driving guitar leads.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye-Ergot View Post
    Another very good album.
    Second(Third) the praise for this.Excellent music.!!!!!
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Oh, I agree: I got into AHC with the Songs of Praises album. I'm a bit sad that I never saw any of the On-U Sound bands play live.

Relatedly, though not On-U Sound, I also liked The Wolf That House Built by Little Axe. Though he lost me with the follow-up.
    I’m a big fan of the On-U-Sound label and their many projects. Adrian Sherwood is a mad keen West Ham Utd fan and did a number of tracks in homage to some of our greats. I love Tackhead, they did some outstanding work.

I stuck with Little Axe for a few albums past The Wolf, he’s a great blues player too and of course a cornerstone of On-U.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Yes, the area is very limited. You won't find a lot, since very few African bands ventured in the prog-rock genre. You should check Zzebra, not really African (British) but including past members of Osibisa. The proggiest I know, though closer to jazz-rock/fusion.
    I only have Panic, but it’s supposed to be their best anyway. British-based, but I’d say they get off on a technicality, since this seems to be Loughty Amao’s baby. Surprisingly, the instrumental version of “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling” is a highlight; I seriously was not expecting it to be that good.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Wow, what a coincidence, I just received an email for the daughter of some Nigerian tribal-prog musician who wants me to help her get his millions out of the country and I stand to make a lot of money doing so...

I'll let ya know how it goes...

Different genres and different guitarists, but both pretty speedy. The first is from Mike Bloomfield and the second from an anonymous South African guitarist playing accordion jive from rural South Africa

We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Never heard of uKanDanZ, that is some heavy synchopated-riff based stuff there, excellent.
    One or two PoiL folx are involved. I've only got their second album, Awo (vinyl) - which contains this song posted here. But it's a complete earthquake of a record. Fantastic energy, great ideas, fabulous individual performances and unbelievable chemistry between them!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Ahh, this kind of thread is precisely the reason I scan this site everyday.

Please sirs can we have some more?

Last edited by Rye-Ergot; 04-23-2020 at 05:59 AM.

A classic from Peter Gabriel's Real World label, released in 1990 and produced by Brian Eno. Geoffrey Oryema was Ugandan
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

These two always remind me of each other (presumably because of the Islamic influence). The first is from Senegal’s Orchestra Baobab (recorded in the early 1980s) and the second from Can’s Holger Czukay (Movies, 1979).

Banned
    ^^^
    That Czukay track is a great one. but nothing to do with African music as you probably know. As I recall, Holger heard this enigmatic singing on a short-wave radio, was fascinated and recorded it, cleverly building the track around it. Later he would have found out that this is a traditional Iranian or Persian singing technique called Tahreer.

Thanks for posting another Musi-O-Tunya R.E., that seems to be a seminal, quasi-legendary Zambia band. I noticed that there are some CD and LP reissues here.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    One or two PoiL folx are involved. I've only got their second album, Awo (vinyl) - which contains this song posted here. But it's a complete earthquake of a record. Fantastic energy, great ideas, fabulous individual performances and unbelievable chemistry between them!
    Thanks, I'll have to check it out!

<edit> Hey Munster, that Geoffrey Oryema stuff is really nice too. Soothing.

Keep 'em coming!
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 04-23-2020 at 12:53 PM.

Later he would have found out that this is a traditional Iranian or Persian singing technique called Tahreer.
    Thanks. I suspected the sample had come from Iran but did not know the technique's name. I am listening to Maryam Akhondy at the moment, a popular exponent of Tahreer it seems. I love Middle Eastern music too so this should open up new avenues to explore.

Banned
    ^^^ Absolutely! I find this Tahreer vocal technique amazing. Maryam Akhondy is a fabulous popular singer. I know this is off topic, but since we're taking a little turn to Persia, I was fortunate enough to see a concert by the Iranian tar master, Mohammad Reza Lotfi at Georgetown University many years ago. He did a meet and greet after the show wherein he lectured his fans on the tragedy of the Iranian Islamic Revolution and how it destroyed his career in Iran at the time.

Here is an sample of some beautiful tar playing by a younger player, Reza Manbachi very apropos for the times "Spring in Sorrow":

Last edited by Buddhabreath; 04-23-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Nice jammy sounds from Blackfoot. It’s a 1978 release although some sources claim 1970.

I’m a fan of the East African guitar sound, know some Nigerian bands from back in the day like Blo whose eponymous album is excellent (available from Wayside via the link for $4 btw - no brainer!) but my knowledge in this area is very limited. I know of the Zambian band Amanaz, but wasn’t aware of the 70s Zambia story - the video below was recently posted on YouTube and helps to illuminate that scene.

Do you have any favorite or recommended African rock bands from the 70s that might be of interest to PE members?

This thread might die on the vine, but I couldn’t find a similar thread after searching so I thought it was worth a shot. Thanks!
    I had made a bunch of proggy suggestion on a thread but I can't remember which one, because it was a devuiation of another subject (Santana or Osibisa, maybe)
    Interesting Rockumentary, BTW, thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Yes, the area is very limited. You won't find a lot, since very few African bands ventured in the prog-rock genre. You should check Zzebra, not really African (British) but including past members of Osibisa. The proggiest I know, though closer to jazz-rock/fusion.
    Nigeria is the place you really want to take a look at, because that's where the heart of Afrobeat and the first recording studios on the continent happened, thanks to Ginger Baker.

Ofege were hardly the only ones around.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Still in Nigeria : Monomono

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Thanks for the tip Trane! I totally missed Ofege and these other Nigerian bands, and from what I heard already I'm digging that vintage sound. Will have to investigate further!

Forgot, Blackfoot sounds really good to - like the West Coast Sound meets Afrobeat!

I dunno, something about these African band's sound that feels familiar, sunny and groovin' if that makes any sense.

Nigeria again: SJOB Movement

Banned
    Ha ha, I can't keep up, but I will catch up. Keep 'em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Nigeria is the place you really want to take a look at, because that's where the heart of Afrobeat and the first recording studios on the continent happened, thanks to Ginger Baker.
    I know Ginger Baker was old before his time, but I think recording studios in Africa were established way before 1971 (and I am sure Afrobeat predated him too). I expect studios were in place in both Nigeria and South Africa (at least) at about the same time (early 20th century) as they would have arrived at the height of colonial expansion in Africa. Just off the top of my head, Solomon Linda’s ‘Mbube’, a classic South African track that Pete Seeger drew from for ‘Wimoweh’ (and which Disney then used in The Lion King), was recorded at Gallo Records in Johannesburg in 1939. But I confess, this entry isn’t about recording studios or the merits of Ginger Baker; it just a thinly disguised excuse for me to post the said Solomon Linda’s amazing ‘Mbube’ (and I look forward to following up those Nigerian links).

The story of Mbube is told in this Rolling Stone article: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...onight-108274/

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    I know Ginger Baker was old before his time, but I think recording studios in Africa were established way before 1971 (and I am sure Afrobeat predated him too). I expect studios were in place in both Nigeria and South Africa (at least) at about the same time (early 20th century) as they would have arrived at the height of colonial expansion in Africa.
    Let's be careful not to confuse radio studios (able to record as well) and real music-recording studios.

I read this
    in the late 80's, and TBH, I never went fact-checking to verify it. Though I can't remember where I read it, it seemed cash-upfront enough to be truthful and reliable. So while my memory of the article is over 30 yo, you're right that Afrobeat predates Ginger's arrival on the continent.

RYM's definition of Afrobeat:
    Afrobeat is a genre created by Nigerian multi-instrumentalist and singer Fela Kuti in the late 1960s. It is a distinctly neotraditional style that merges the traditional Yoruba percussion and call-and-response structure with the general principles of Highlife (Fela played in Bobby Benson's and Dr. Victor Olaiya's bands in the 1950s), Jazz (a genre that Fela explored during the 1960s in London and back in Lagos) and Funk (influenced by local Nigerian star Geraldo Pino, an imitator of James Brown). This combination proved very successful, earning Fela critical acclaim and spawning a whole movement of afrobeat bands that still continues today.

Afrobeat songs were originally sung by Fela in either pidgin English or Yoruba; he combined love songs ("Lover") with songs based on traditional Yoruba tales ("Alujon jon ki jon"), but by the mid-1970s political themes became the center of Fela's lyrical output, with albums such as Expensive Shit, Zombie and Coffin for Head of State criticizing the police, the military and the government. This consolidated his audience, as his popularity and the popularity of afrobeat grew overseas. However, local sales of afrobeat have always been lower than those of Fuji and Jùjú, genres that were in fact influenced by afrobeat to a great extent.

The standard afrobeat ensemble was established by Fela's band, The Africa '70, featuring drums, congas, percussion sticks, sekere, electric bass, electric guitar and a horn section. Fela's drummer, Tony Allen, left the band in 1979 to pursue a successful career that would see him expand the afrobeat sound. In the 1980s, Fela's band became The Egypt '80, being larger than his previous ensemble and playing longer, more complex pieces. Until his death in 1997, no other musician (except his oldest son, Femi Kuti) competed against Fela's success in afrobeat. Ever since, the number of bands, especially in North America, has increased notably, with groups such as Antibalas and The Souljazz Orchestra keeping Fela's legacy alive. Fela's youngest son, Seun Kuti spearheads the new Egypt '80.
    ... but I'm not sure when Fela and Ginger crossed paths.
    Last edited by Trane; 04-25-2020 at 07:27 AM.