Thread: WHO is really playing that bass ?

WHO is really playing that bass ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N01gMDwPCog

There's no way for me that Rutherford played that bass. Absolutely no way. What's your advice ?

Why would you say that? It's not a particularly difficult line, as you can see from the video below. Certainly Rutherford did far trickier stuff on earlier Genesis material. He could easily handle this. Does it just sound like something that is not something like his "style?" Or "sound?"

Bill

Derek Smalls.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Looks like he played it to me; granted, they are lip-synching for the video.

They obviously didn't play the horn parts.
    Last edited by Gravedigger; 04-19-2020 at 10:07 AM.

Live version:

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    If played this, he can play "No Reply at All"....

Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Derek Smalls.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Why would you say that? It's not a particularly difficult line, as you can see from the video below. Certainly Rutherford did far trickier stuff on earlier Genesis material. He could easily handle this. Does it just sound like something that is not something like his "style?" Or "sound?"

Bill
    The sound of it. It's rather smooth and very very well executed. I know that Rutherford played some very very tricky parts, but I don't recognize him there. But nobody seems to agree with me so I'll just enjoy this with total amazement !

Quote Originally Posted by XavGel View Post
    The sound of it. It's rather smooth and very very well executed. I know that Rutherford played some very very tricky parts, but I don't recognize him there. But nobody seems to agree with me so I'll just enjoy this with total amazement !
    Also remember Genesis (PC, mainly) were under the sway of R&B groups like Earth Wind & Fire at the time, so it's not unthinkable that they'd emulate the sound of those groups as well.

The funny thing about that bass part to me, it's one of the more "Squire"-ish bass parts I've ever heard from MR. But it's not a song I could ever see Squire or Yes coming up with.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Fast-forward to 3:58 on this track. Anyone who can lay down this bass line can do just about anything on that instrument:

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Not one of my favorite Genesis songs, but it is one of my favorite Mike R bass lines.

Yeah, we're talking about the guy who played bass on Firth Of Fifth. If Mike could that in 1973, I don't see why he wouldn't be able to do No Reply At All in 1981.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Fast-forward to 3:58 on this track. Anyone who can lay down this bass line can do just about anything on that instrument:

Session musician

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Quite effective line, but not particulaly "difficult" to play. The part in No Reply at All is really clever and groovy though. That said, I'm glad we can have both.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I will never ever by choice fast-forward through one second of that track. A perfect gem, IMHO.

That said, the line you reference is only one of dozens one could point to as evidence of MR's technical skill and inventiveness on the bass guitar. I don't think he gets his due respect, and personally I have no problem putting him up there with the best of the best of the period.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Quite effective line, but not particulaly "difficult" to play. The part in No Reply at All is really clever and groovy though. That said, I'm glad we can have both.
    I think the line in Can-Utility is relatively more difficult than No Reply. There are some pretty tricky moments there, certainly far trickier than No Reply. So I don't think there's really any question Rutherford could have played the song.

But apparently the OP was referring more to the "sound" of the bass than the difficulty of the parts. To that end, I think the answer lies in that live video posted above. Rutherford is clearly playing this line with his fingers as opposed to a pick which he typically used in the earlier Genesis material. That's going to give you a very different sound, and probably alters his approach to creating the lines as well; I know it does when I play with my fingers as opposed to a pick. I'd add to this that he was probably trying for a different sound on this track to better fit the music and the result they wanted.

So it is perhaps a departure for him stylistically, but I have no reason to question whether it's Rutherford playing on the track.

Bill

There's no way for me that Rutherford played that bass. Absolutely no way. What's your advice ?
    You are underestimating Mike my friend... at least in my opinion. He may be limited on lead guitar but he was a top notch rock/prog bass player!

Maybe he had died in a car crash and was secretly replaced by a look-alike?
    One thing is for sure, the sheep is not a creature of the air.
    https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/

Probably Carol Kay. : >)

DtB