Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Kansas Tune- "Throwing Mountains"

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Actually.......the bass player is not even in the band anymore. The only original member is drummer Gary Peterson. I am not sure how the hell this happened but Rudy Sarzo is currently playing bass for The Guess Who.
    Oddly, Peterson wasn't in the version of the band I saw (late '80s?). Jim Kale was the only original member at that time.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Oddly, Peterson wasn't in the version of the band I saw (late '80s?). Jim Kale was the only original member at that time.
    I had to look it up, but yes Peterson did leave the band for a period in the early to mid 80's, so that was probably when you saw them. He came back with Kale from the late 80's until just a few years ago. I think he still has an ownership stake in the band, but has retired from performing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Just to give an excample what a difference a really great vocalist does to weaker song material
    (and this is not Steve Walsh singing (although it is his solo Album)

I like Throwing Mountains much better

Actually.......the bass player is not even in the band anymore. The only original member is drummer Gary Peterson. I am not sure how the hell this happened but Rudy Sarzo is currently playing bass for The Guess Who.
    From an interview with Sarzo a couple years back:

Jeb: How did you come to be playing with the actual band?

RS: Very simple. Sass Jordan. I was touring with Geoff Tate's Queensr˙che and she was touring with them. Her husband is Derek Sharp [AKA D#], the lead singer for The Guess Who. About a year later they were talking about bass players because their long time bass player Jim Kale was thinking of retiring.

Sass said "How about calling Rudy?" So Derek called me up and we started talking...I was very excited because I grew up listening to their music and I'm a fan. I was really only just supposed to be subbing when Jim wasn't with them, not a member of the group. I was sharing the subbing duties with Michael Devin from Whitesnake.

There came a time when Jim Kale, a founding member of The Guess Who, decided to retire fully. I happened to be in Las Vegas watching the show and he brought me up on stage and announced that he was retiring and, from this show on, I was going to be the bass player, which was great. Nobody had ever done something like that for me before. I thought that was a beautiful moment. I've been in the band, officially, ever since.

^^ I realize we kinda hijacked this thread, but The Guess Who was one really great band. I always considered Burton Cummings to be one of the top ten R&R vocalists ever. He still has great chops, but tends to get a bit schmaltzy. Nonetheless, I'd love to see him perform. I only saw him once, when he was in Ringo's band.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^^ I realize we kinda hijacked this thread, but The Guess Who was one really great band. I always considered Burton Cummings to be one of the top ten R&R vocalists ever. He still has great chops, but tends to get a bit schmaltzy. Nonetheless, I'd love to see him perform. I only saw him once, when he was in Ringo's band.
    Totally agreed! One of the first hand-me-down albums I got as a kid was a "Best of The Guess Who" and have been a fan of the Cummings-era of the band ever since. I have never gotten to see him live and was excited for the Cummings/Bachman tour announced earlier this year, but then bummed to find out it was a coast-coast Canadian tour with only 5 mid-west USA shows added in. I'd love to see them before they call it a day.

Yeah, looks like we're not in Kansas anymore!

Steer the thread back to them....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    From an interview with Sarzo a couple years back:

Jeb: How did you come to be playing with the actual band?

RS: Very simple. Sass Jordan. I was touring with Geoff Tate's Queensr˙che and she was touring with them. Her husband is Derek Sharp [AKA D#], the lead singer for The Guess Who. About a year later they were talking about bass players because their long time bass player Jim Kale was thinking of retiring.

Sass said "How about calling Rudy?" So Derek called me up and we started talking...I was very excited because I grew up listening to their music and I'm a fan. I was really only just supposed to be subbing when Jim wasn't with them, not a member of the group. I was sharing the subbing duties with Michael Devin from Whitesnake.

There came a time when Jim Kale, a founding member of The Guess Who, decided to retire fully. I happened to be in Las Vegas watching the show and he brought me up on stage and announced that he was retiring and, from this show on, I was going to be the bass player, which was great. Nobody had ever done something like that for me before. I thought that was a beautiful moment. I've been in the band, officially, ever since.
    Thanks for posting that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Yeah, looks like we're not in Kansas anymore!

Steer the thread back to them....
    Sorry, we can never go Bachman.

Sorry, we can never go Bachman.

I dunno.

I'm sure there will be plenty of Cummings and goings.

Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    Hmmm, nice song, but...

My ears bleed just looking at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    Hmmm, nice song, but...

Yup. The song does actually sound like this to me, like a big blob of cool stuff with no dynamics.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    My ears bleed just looking at that.
    Ha! I was going to say, "a visual representation of aural fatigue"

Why do I feel like I've stepped into the Steve Hoffman forum by mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Why do I feel like I've stepped into the Steve Hoffman forum by mistake?
    Only if you've bought 60 versions of the same album and you want to argue with the person that only has 59.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Only if you've bought 60 versions of the same album and you want to argue with the person that only has 59.
    Touché.

I thought it sounded rather brickwalled, but I was hoping it was just the clip they used.

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Mediocre music with awful production.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Mediocre music with awful production.
    What are we basing this on? YouTube?

What are we basing this on? YouTube?
    Spotify. It will sound marginally better on CD but compression will still be there. It will sound basically same. That I can tell you!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

True, I had forgotten about Rudy. How can fans go see this total rip-off?

Well, I fell for it and that's how I found out about it too late and had already bought my ticket. They mostly play bars and small live joints, this place I went to see them was at Dosey Doe's Live Barn in Spring TX (outside Houston) where the ticket price is steep because it includes a 3-course dinner and all the seats are pretty up close to the intimate stage. Added to that, the band stays for a meet & greet after show at no cost but no thrill if you are meeting an impostor band.

My other experiences at that venue were better and featured original members: Jon Anderson solo, The Zombies (Colin Blunstone & Rod Argent), Uriah Heep (Mick Box) and Al Stewart.
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    True, I had forgotten about Rudy. How can fans go see this total rip-off?

Well, I fell for it and that's how I found out about it too late and had already bought my ticket. They mostly play bars and small live joints, this place I went to see them was at Dosey Doe's Live Barn in Spring TX (outside Houston) where the ticket price is steep because it includes a 3-course dinner and all the seats are pretty up close to the intimate stage. Added to that, the band stays for a meet & greet after show at no cost but no thrill if you are meeting an impostor band.

My other experiences at that venue were better and featured original members: Jon Anderson solo, The Zombies (Colin Blunstone & Rod Argent), Uriah Heep (Mick Box) and Al Stewart.
    I got to meet Sarzo once after a Blue Oyster Cult concert when he was still playing with them and he was very cool. It was an outdoor show and he just happened to be standing around behind the security gate. We called out "Hey Rudy" and he came over and talked to us. He has played with so many people over the years he would be worth meeting.

The current Guess Who guitarist is Will Evankovich who co-wrote the most recent Styx album "The Mission" with Tommy Shaw. Will has also played with a ton of people over the years, so he could be cool to meet.

That being said, I would be interested to meet this guys for projects other than the fake Guess Who. I have actually seen The Guess Who once too back when both Peterson and Kale were still in the band. Back then they were still playing fairly large venues (I saw them in a 1500 seat theater). It was enjoyable for what it was, but more like seeing a cover band than the real thing.

Touché.
    Ha! You guys slay me. So true.

I think I'm going to enjoy the new album and will work around any mixing mastering issues I have with it. I still connect with this band and their sound, and I think the addition of Tom Brislin makes them even better.
    I'm happy they are still writing and recording new music. As many times as they've played live and had to do the same songs over and over and still keep it fresh, as musicians they still need to be able to express themselves, where they are emotionally in 2020. And I think that helps keep the band going, besides loving what they do.

Reference The Guess Who..sorry if this has been posted already. Bachman/Cummings 2020 Reunion Tour
    https://bestclassicbands.com/burton-...union-1-12-20/