- Nicolas Candé / drums, percussion
    With:
    - Mathilde Maisse / vocals
    - James Mc Gaw / guitar
    - Benoît Bugeïa / Fender Rhodes
    - Yves Marie Dien / percussions

Here is what David (AKA Guldbamsen) had to say about it on ProgArchives
    Ethereal Zeuhl

To the casual prog fan this venture by French band Setna just might be the best way of approaching the Zeuhl brand. The mad and overtly gibberish laden characteristics that often sound like showering opera singers and piano playing walruses here are exchanged for something softer and far sweeter.

That is not to say that Cycle 1 is a diet Zeuhl album, even if I completely echo my fellow reviewer Luca's sentiments, when he opened up his review with: 'How can Zeuhl be so light and accessible?' There is indeed a lightness to this music - a fluid feathery veil of sorts that covers most of this recording with an easy digestible coating, - one that preferably should entice people from far far away who normally frown upon the French theatrics and bands named after molten rock.

Divided into 9 separate tracks, the album still sounds as one continuous piece that ebbs and flows delicately over you like a warm summer breeze. All the individual Zeuhl trades are there, maybe except for the big male choral outbursts, but the classic zooming bass lines throbbing, writhing, propelling the music forward, the clever and intricate jazz stylings of the drums, the electric piano relegating pensive and soothing soundscapes - all of this is here in full. Which means that you folks out there who love Zeuhl for what it is, you'll still find a lot to love on here, even if things tend to unfold abnormally pretty and beautiful.

Oh yes, those two adjectives are at times some of the most terrifying and unwelcome words to the proggers out there who revel in dissonance and the bizarre. "Beauty?!?!??? Hell, I'd rather feck a sheep with flowers in its fur!" Whatever your preferences may be - whatever floats your boat musically - this thing will more than likely hold something to your liking. Apart for the already mentioned ingredients, the vibe here is more than anything: ethereal. That's a first time for me. Ethereal Zeuhl. That's like electronic folk........... Well, as strange as that may sound to you, the combination of this liquidy, oozing - ethereally wafting fusion and those aptly placed Zeuhlish features - does work wonders on Cycle 1. And topping this most delightful mix off - is a big bag of tricks that continues to amaze the listener all throughout the album. Zing!

Firstly, the serene clean female vocals occasionally guesting are downright gorgeous. Feels like listening to a feminine rain cloud singing - something light and wet, a ghost of olive oil, or maybe something entirely made up of ice and sunbeams. Then you have some marvellously placed saxophone parts underlining the odd sections that just need that little bit of extra umphh of jazz and zest. Wonderful indeed, just like the omnipresent Fender rhodes or the seldomly heard guitar that right at the very end peeps out of hibernation to give you something very rare inside a Zeuhl album, which is a heartfelt, bleeding solo - going right through the speakers and into your soft drink - disturbing ice cubes and strange mini umbrellas.

This is music you put on whilst spending time under a waterfall. It's something for a night out on the river. Music for the eternally wretched of us that seek consolation and comfort in the sonic side of life - presenting itself as both complex riveting blood-rushes as well as daydreaming affairs that chill you right down to your very core. This thing does both - incredibly well

the band live in 2011

Last edited by Trane; 04-14-2020 at 05:00 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Excellent choice. This album is on the softer side of Zeuhl with some nods to Canterbury, but grows on you over time. I prefer Guerison to this (and is one of my favorite albums of the decade), but both are worthy albums to have in your collection. I am hopeful the long rumored 3rd album will one day come to fruition.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Excellent choice. This album is on the softer side of Zeuhl with some nods to Canterbury, but grows on you over time. I prefer Guerison to this (and is one of my favorite albums of the decade), but both are worthy albums to have in your collection. I am hopeful the long rumored 3rd album will one day come to fruition.

Yup, but I checked and Guérison was already featured some while back

Maybe Udi can tell us where their future album is at, cos he was in on it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Zeuhl is de Hündin, can't be enough Zeuhl out there...

This is zeuhl positive, floating, shimmering, joyous. Just a delight to listen to and a wonderful antidote to the more menacing side of the genre.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Excellent album, lovely stuff.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I have an aversion to Fender Rhodes. It looks like this one would peg the meter.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Good debut from very fine band. Followup is even better.

I need to respin this one. Soon.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

One of the rare entries in the "Easy Listening Zeuhl" sub-sub-genre. I think it's delicious.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I have an aversion to Fender Rhodes. It looks like this one would peg the meter.
    Yeah, this would probably bring you out in spots. Rhodes galore.

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    This is zeuhl positive
    I love that.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    One of the rare entries in the "Easy Listening Zeuhl" sub-sub-genre. I think it's delicious.
    Add Xing Sa?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Add Xing Sa?
    Yeah, but I suppose the lounge-zeuhl idea was conceived already in the 70s with Zao or with stuff like Altmayer and Musique Noise in the 80s. It's quite interesting to note that a musical concept as (apparently) clearly defined as that of zeuhl is actually rather varied in terms of approach.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

A third person guesting on Fender Rhodes? Is 2 Fender Rhodes players not enough?

^ Sure, but that third one is only a guest.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Sure, but that third one is only a guest.
    Yes, but why does one need a guest on Fender Rhodes, if there allready 2 players in the band?

And I love Fender Rhodes pianos.

^ Because it's such a friendly gesture from a friendly guest who brings so much joy and pleasure into things.

another excample for rather friendly and uplifting Zeuhl (means no Angry Japanese Ladies Screaming at you
    and not to dark) no easy listening though

^ Because it's such a friendly gesture from a friendly guest who brings so much joy and pleasure into things.
    It depends who was the guest... if her name is Carole Sauvage, she's now in the band, along with her brother (or husband, I forget) both coming in from the band Neom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    i'd like to refute the "easy-listening" crap, if you don't mind
    Last edited by Trane; 04-15-2020 at 09:58 AM.

It always reminds me on some albums I own, with a whole bunch of drummers, guitarists, bassplayers and the lot, making the studio look like some party where everyone playing an instrument is welcomed.

Any life left in Setna, Xing Sa or Neom?

Very good album, more likable than the second due to the guitars & women
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Very good album, more likable than the second due to the guitars & women

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Any life left in Setna, Xing Sa or Neom?
    Setna still exist, Neom doesn't. That sole album of the latter was a real treat, but then again two members went to Setna. And we got bands like Caillou, Vak and Rhûn instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    i'd like to refute the "easy-listening" crap, if you don't mind
    Chill, dude, it's not a term of abuse. You need to listen to some Setna...

Bandcamp Profile