Thread: Exploring Gordon Giltrap

Exploring Gordon Giltrap

I heard what constitutes his best-known work back in the late seventies, but there's lots, lots more - too much to dip into without recommendations. So recommendations of lesser-known albums or songs please.
    BBTPatron

Both Accolade albums.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

My favourite is still Perilous Journey:

Quote Originally Posted by ryder View Post
    That is just lovely, thanks.
    BBTPatron

An “all acoustic” instrumental list would be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I've heard that trilogy of albums on Fly / Cube is unbeatable and of those the first, Visionary, is my favourite - for me the best prog solo albums from a guitarist with the sole exception of Mike Oldfield. Outside of those 3, I like Peacock Party, although it is much lighter in feel.

All I’ve heard are the three Electric albums (Visionary / Perilous Journey / Fear of the Dark) and all are excellent choices if you’re a Mike Oldfield fan. PJ is my favorite of the three. I have to say that I am disappointed that Visionary was not released as GG originally envisioned it—as a totally acoustic album with medieval instruments. There’s a medley of tracks with the original mix on the remastered CD.

I’ve heard bits of Peacock Party and Airwaves and they sound promising. Have not heard his earlier work, which is said to be more conventional singer-songwriter fare (with vocals).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Yes, he started as a singer-songwriter, although I've not heard anything of that era. He then decided to concentrate on instrumentals, as his vocals were felt to be not strong enough. Interesting, as I have heard his vocals on "Oh Well", a cover of the F Mac hit, and they seem a lot stronger than those of certain other guitarists, much discussed here !

Peacock Party and Perilous Journey are the best ones from his electric (non acoustic ) period.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    All I’ve heard are the three Electric albums (Visionary / Perilous Journey / Fear of the Dark) and all are excellent choices if you’re a Mike Oldfield fan.
    Mmm, never thought of it that way, especially because I'm not a Mike Oldfield-fan but do like PJ.

OT: Some the same musicians on PJ also played on Juan Martìn's Picasso Portraits, so if you're into acoustic guitars with a rockband:

Quote Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
    Here is his latest piece.

https://youtu.be/ApmelfZ8NIs

Thanks for that. A noble thing to do.

Glad I started this discussion.
    BBTPatron

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Perry View Post
    Yes, he started as a singer-songwriter, although I've not heard anything of that era. He then decided to concentrate on instrumentals, as his vocals were felt to be not strong enough. Interesting, as I have heard his vocals on "Oh Well", a cover of the F Mac hit, and they seem a lot stronger than those of certain other guitarists, much discussed here !
    I’d describe his vocals on “Oh Well” as “just OK.” It’s a decent version, but it could have been much better with a stronger vocalist.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Esoteric have his 'hit' albums remastered at:
    http://esotericrecordings.com/discography-shop-g.html
    He still tours doing solo performances, so keep an eye on his website at:
    https://www.giltrap.co.uk/calendar/
    I've seen him the last two years near me at Stalmine, and I'll go again this September, depending on lockdown rules.