Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicago, Live at Tanglewood, 1970

Chicago, Live at Tanglewood, 1970

There can be little doubt, that Chicago was one of the finest live bands to have ever graced a stage in the 1970s. I've been through this masterpiece a few times and am just blown away by it. Really good recording.
    Full concert!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Incendiary!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

They were great back in the day. Hadn't seen this before. Thanks

Danny effin Seraphine, man.

This was a great festival, the other headliners were Santana, Tull and Miles. I believe the full shows of all of them are up on YT in really good quality. Check 'em out. Thanks for reminding me of these!

Shows I saw at Tanglewood with my summer camp: 68: Joni Mitchell, Paul Butterfield, Tim Hardin; 69: The Who, Jefferson Airplane, BB King;
    70: The Who, Jethro Tull, It's A Beautiful Day (sets on YouTube); 71: Sly and The Family Stone. We didn't go to the Santana or Miles shows,
    unfortunately. I didn't know much about Miles at that age.

Yes, they were so great back then. Chicago's first three double albums are amazing! And Terry Kath just lit up the stage with his guitar.

Good Morning Folks ~

Ha!... I stayed up past my bedtime and watched the whole performance, last night. What a band they were, and such a wonderful time for our beloved music! Two things - more Peter Cetera and his bass playing (not necessarily recognized as such, but his bass playing is usually awesome) and audio in mix, and the second would be that I'd like to see more concentration on the (wind instrument) section! Still, what a killer band. My collection has the first 7 or 8 releases and I love the listens more each day!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

I've seen this before but definitely worth a few more views. Yeah, Cetera was great on bass guitar, one of my early influences.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Fantastic concert showing the band at their top. Terry Kath was a f...... good guitarist ! I already watched it many times on YT but a real shame theres' no official version of this concert available on DVD, I would buy it right away.

This is really fantastic. I love their early 70's period. Terry Kath was one of my guitar heroes when I studied the instrument in high school. Such an underrated player. I don't believe Chicago should have replaced him after his untimely death in 1978. His style to me was like Bonham's drums for Led Zeppelin. Unique and such an integral part of the band's sound that no one could have imitated it. In an alternate timeline Chicago became Oak Park in the late 70's.

Jimi Hendrix considered Terry Kath as the best guitarist in the world, even better than himself. Not a small compliment from a cult (god) status guitarist. Maybe it's not related, but after Terry's death Chicago never was the same band again and irreversibly started to go downhill (artistically) to become the highly successful cheesy pop song oriented band. Gone were the energy, creativity and originality we can see in the above video.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I really need to watch this sometime.
    Not sometime... right NOW ! It's really so good.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Shows I saw at Tanglewood with my summer camp: 68: Joni Mitchell, Paul Butterfield, Tim Hardin; 69: The Who, Jefferson Airplane, BB King;
    70: The Who, Jethro Tull, It's A Beautiful Day (sets on YouTube); 71: Sly and The Family Stone. We didn't go to the Santana or Miles shows,
    unfortunately. I didn't know much about Miles at that age.
    Yes of course, I had forgotten that the Who were there in '70. That show too is on Youtube. And the Miles set is really great. One of the very best-quality videos of the Bitches Brew Miles out there, almost equal to the Isle of Wight set--and a better performance than IOW IMHO... Tanglewood '70 really should be a DVD box set; the quality is definitely good enough. Maybe some rights issues have prevented this?

An interesting comment someone made about (early) Chicago:

"So, you don't think they're a prog band? OK, just imagine those horn parts being played by Keith Emerson's Moog, but everything else the same. Just imagine how that might sound. Yep, thought so."

Maybe Chicago are not considered as "prog" by the purists but in their early days (I would say up to, and including VII) they had a very unique sound and style cleverly mixing various influences from jazz,rock, big band, soul, experimental... and also the ability to write catchy memorable pop tunes. And a keyboard player (R.Lamm) mentioning Edgar Varèse as one of his major influences is allways a good sign in my books. Check his Free Form Piano intro at 14'20 leading to Does Anybody... Not Prog ? mmmmm......
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 04-13-2020 at 07:14 PM.

They aren't "prog" and never were. But by damn, back in the day they were progressive as all get-out!

They were my first "favorite band", ever. I still love the first seven albums and like the remainder with Kath. I've sampled a few of their albums since Kath died and, while their replacement guitarists have been good, the spirit just isn't there. Something important died with Terry.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I've watched this man times - it's stellar. The Tanglewood performances by The Who and Jethro Tull are likewise great.
    For that which is not,
    there is no coming into being
    and for that which is,
    there is no ceasing to be;
    yea of both of these the lookers into truth have seen an end.
    Bhagavad Gita

As an aside, I had know idea Peter Cetera was that good of a bass player . . .
    For that which is not,
    and for that which is,
    Bhagavad Gita

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Danny effin Seraphine, man.
    He reminds me a lot of Ringo Starr.
    For that which is not,
    and for that which is,
    Bhagavad Gita

Thanks for posting..

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    . In an alternate timeline Chicago became Oak Park in the late 70's.
    Instead of becoming Schaumburg? ;-)

BTW, if you're interested in a bunch of Tery Kath live, look into Chicago VI Decades Live: This Is What We Do. Four discs, three of them from the Kath years, and one DVD of a concert in the late Kath years. The first two discs are a complete concert from the Isle of Wight festival before the third album was released, and it's dynamite stuff.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I have a boot of this but with an annoying time code at the bottom, it's nice to see it without. Same problem with my boot of Santana from the same festival. These performances should be officially released, I read somewhere that one guy has the rights to all of these shows. There are no official vids of early Chicago that I am aware of, and not much Santana (a bit of Woodstock and the Fillmore).