Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Book of iona (Iona Box Set)

The Book of iona (Iona Box Set)

To celebrate their 30th anniversary their will be a 17th CD Box Set of Iona.

Each of their seven Studio Albums will get a Bonus CD and there will be a CD
    of new recorded (older) material.

(not sure what No. 17 will be)

https://www.musicglue.com/iona/produ...e-book-of-iona

And CD 17 is "Snowdonia Realm of the Ravens" etc. so the 4th Disc of the first (4CD) Box Set

Probably the 17th disk will be "Dunes" (the extra album on the previous combo release of their 3 first).
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Hey rejoice Hours and Hours by People involved with: Steven Wilson, Steve Hackett, Strawbs, Nightwish,
    King Crimson, Clannad, Lifesigns, John Paul Jones, Celestial Fire etc etc etc.

and of course they are the best Symphonic Folk Prog band ever.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Probably the 17th disk will be "Dunes" (the extra album on the previous combo release of their 3 first).
    Forgot it was named on that one, yes it is the "Snowdonia Suite" and other stuff from that Combo release.

All of the Studio CDs will also rereleased as double CDs (all but Another Realm which already is a double).

The Bonus CD Content of another Realm will be on the second CD of Snowdonia (aka Dunes).

I really like this band and most of their records (CD's) are not easy to get. The few I have are all very carefully crafted, recorded and produced. But do I really need 17 CD's of Iona ? I'm a little bit concerned by some sameness...

Holy moly!
    I already have the 4CD set but I guess I have to get this one!
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

I love Iona but not sure I need this to be honest.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Steve983; 04-15-2020 at 03:26 AM.

From what I've seen the bonus material is mostly demo versions, alternate arrangements, etc. I can live without those. I've got the Dunes box, all the other studio albums and most of the live stuff. That'll do me fine.

Quote Originally Posted by helicase View Post
    From what I've seen the bonus material is mostly demo versions, alternate arrangements, etc. I can live without those. I've got the Dunes box, all the other studio albums and most of the live stuff. That'll do me fine.
    I have everything they ever did plus some of the related stuff as well, the Bonus tracks is very much fan boy stuff.
    Still I'm a fan boy and the price is more reasonable than other boxy sets I bought…

Has anyone here who ordered the box been notified of it shipping? It was supposed to be released last Friday and I've heard nothing.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Has anyone here who ordered the box been notified of it shipping? It was supposed to be released last Friday and I've heard nothing.
    I haven't ordered it but I am on DB's mailing list and got a message that it has been delayed. It doesn't actually specify a new date but sounds like it should be soon.

My usually good informed Reseller lists it for July 10th

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I haven't ordered it but I am on DB's mailing list and got a message that it has been delayed. It doesn't actually specify a new date but sounds like it should be soon.
    Thanks Steve...and TheH as well, much appreciated!
    J
    John Kelman

Postponed to 21rst August

News from Gonzo:

A MESSAGE FROM THE BAND

'THE BOOK OF IONA
    We're getting very close to the finishing line now and I had a great (socially distanced, open air!) meeting with our record label head, Rob Ayling, this past Sunday about the box set and future projects. He's confident they will be able to start shipping out the box set (and the individual re-release orders) around the beginning of August.

All the recording for the project is now completely finished and earlier today I listened through to the final master I need to approve, cd17, The Sound of Iona (cover artwork above!). It's sounding great but just needs a few small adjustments, then the masters for all 17 disks will be going to the manufacturing plant - probably tomorrow. All the artwork is now finished and approved apart from the main box set booklet, which I'm hoping will be ready very soon. As that part of the box set is being printed in the UK, there is a very fast turnaround, so that shouldn't hold things up. So below I can now reveal the full running order for The Sound of Iona disk in the box set, and also that it will be released as an expanded 2CD set later in the year! (buyers of the box set will get a discount code).

My box arrived today. Just finished ripping all the discs into my Apple Music library (formerly iTunes), and have started my chronological run through the 17 discs. Iona sounds great, and the bonus material, so far, is terrific. If the rest is like this, the bonus material will really shed light on the process while, at the same time, standing on its own as engaging material in its own right.

Great job, Mr. Bainbridge! I'm embarrassingly new to Iona, which is why I made the leap and bought the box, as I only had a couple of live albums and Open Sky. Also, a different approach to box set design as well, and it also works well.

The 17th disc, The Sound of Iona, promises to be expanded into a two-disc set later this year (and those of us who bought the box and, therefore, will already have disc 1, will be offered the two-disc set at a reduced price. Sure, when it became clear that this collection of re-recorded tracks and new material was stretching into two discs, they could have included the two-disc version in the box set, but my suspicion is that, with preorders already taken and the cost of the box to the band/label already set, they couldn't do it without a number of changes. So I'm ok with paying for the double disc set when Bainbridge releases it, since I'll be getting it at a discount.

Anyway, back to disc 2 of 17
    John Kelman

I haven't played any Iona for quite a while now, I must give some of it a spin again.

My faves: Journey Into The Morn, The Book Of Kells, Beyond These Shores, Open Sky and Another Realm - in other words most of them!
    I clearly remember the first time I saw them in Southampton in '96, the place was packed with an audience loving every minute, the band were on fire and nearly took the roof off, one of my fave gigs ever.

Banned
    I have "The Circling Hour" and "Open Sky", both of which are great releases. I am somewhat surprised that "The Circling Hour" doesn't get more mentions from fans, as it is quite strong all the way through, especially the four "Wind" cuts that includes a 3 part suite at the end of the album.

At the $179.82 price tag for the box set on Amazon, I'm not going to pursue it. However, it is still a real value for a 17 disc extravaganza from this fine band.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I have "The Circling Hour" and "Open Sky", both of which are great releases. I am somewhat surprised that "The Circling Hour" doesn't get more mentions from fans, as it is quite strong all the way through, especially the four "Wind" cuts that includes a 3 part suite at the end of the album.

At the $179.82 price tag for the box set on Amazon, I'm not going to pursue it. However, it is still a real value for a 17 disc extravaganza from this fine band.
    Watch Out! In the small print...Amazon wants $27.38 for shipping (no Prime shipping available)

I found the best deal at ImportCD. $157.24 + $5.99 shipping.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Watch Out! In the small print...Amazon wants $27.38 for shipping (no Prime shipping available)

I found the best deal at ImportCD. $157.24 + $5.99 shipping.
    Alright! Many thanks for this tip on the best available price and the shipping component. Appreciate it.

Somehow I'm still lamenting they didn't do the Anthology Vol. 2 for those already with Vol. 1
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Just got mine today.....I pre-ordered Mid-August.....They must use the same shipper as Future Publishing Very nice packaging and the Box will be Bigger than all your other box sets! It took me 4 Disc's to figure out you have to "turn" the discs as you pull them out....closest I've ever come to snapping disc's in half!

Anyway....a nice Winter project lies ahead..... I too know little about Iona but am familiar with most of the members other musical collaborations.....so this will be educational. I did see them at Nearfest but they seem to have left no impression at the time....will have to get the programs out to see who was on either end of them that made me forget them so quickly.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Current pricing as of 10/14...shipping to California:

Direct from ImportCDs = $197.90 (including $6.99 shipping and $14.23 sales tax)
    Amazon (fulfilled by ImportCDs) = $198.86 (including $3.99 shipping and $14.30 sales tax)

So much for pricing back in August...sorry I waited.
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull