Thread: Steve Hackett quarantine videos on YouTube

Steve Hackett quarantine videos on YouTube

As some of you may have seen, Steve has been posting various video clips to YouTube in the past weeks from isolation. He has now started a series of videos talking about songs from his back catalogue!

This guy must swim for hours in the fountain of youth....I know he must dye his hair but man he still looks like he could be in his early 50's, no? Cool videos too.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Frank, agreed, Steve looks very young for his age. I liked his commentary, Please Don't Touch is far superior to Wot Gorilla. To hell with what Phil, Mike, and Tony thought! These are clearly three classic prog tunes that Steve is justifiably proud of.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

I've been enjoying these on his FB page quite a bit.
    Watched Camino Royale and Selling England videos yesterday.
    He seems to have switched to a softer natural brown tint these days as opposed to the Roy Oberson black he used to use, and he looks absolutely great.
    I think he's quite the positive thinker(glass is half full kind of guy).
    Although early in his career I believe he had a lot of issues, one of course was how fortunate he was he didn't sever his tendons in his hand when smashing a wine glass while over-indulging in alcohol. At least that's the version I've read.
    His struggles with self esteem and myopia and a toxic marriage didn't help any.
    But I do believe like any artist, those things in a way contributed to him being the creative artist he is.

Good to see him content and in a happy relationship. He seems to appreciate the wonderful reception and appreciation of his music from his fans, and his popularity is greater than ever.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.com

I've seen and enjoyed the videos in which he discusses "Camino Royale" and "Please Don't Touch" yesterday. It's fun an pleasing. I'm looking forward to seeing other of his videos.

Banned
    What a spectacular individual. Enjoying his videos. I want to be like Steve when I grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    What a spectacular individual. Enjoying his videos. I want to be like Steve when I grow up!
    ^^^^...yes, wouldn't we all.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.com

Interestingly, Steve Hackett is often described by his former bandmates in Genesis as a rather dark, somber character. He definitely does not come across like that in his many interviews and videos. Of course one has to be *in* the band to understand the many views of people involved. I have played in many bands myself and every single band I played with was a complex organism by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Interestingly, Steve Hackett is often described by his former bandmates in Genesis as a rather dark, somber character. He definitely does not come across like that in his many interviews and videos. Of course one has to be *in* the band to understand the many views of people involved. I have played in many bands myself and every single band I played with was a complex organism by itself.
    I've read most things I can get my hands on Genesis related. Never seen reference to Steve as dark and somber. Where did you see that? Where did you often read that.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    This guy must swim for hours in the fountain of youth....I know he must dye his hair but man he still looks like he could be in his early 50's, no? Cool videos too.
    That would be The Fountain of Salmacis

I love these clips, and Steve seems so casual and relaxed, lots of smiles. So good to see!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I've read most things I can get my hands on Genesis related. Never seen reference to Steve as dark and somber. Where did you see that? Where did you often read that.
    It's on Genesis 'Chapter and Verse' and if my memory serves also on Mike Rutherford's book.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    It's on Genesis 'Chapter and Verse' and if my memory serves also on Mike Rutherford's book.
    Thanks. I read it but must have forgotten.

Hackett is really awesome. He seems to be the only member of Genesis who really wants to give his fans what they want. Or maybe he is just more in tune with his fans so that we all want the same thing. Here's hoping he's healthy enough to continue to record and tour for years to come.

Watched this video this morning, Steve talking about Entangled, one of my favorite songs on Trick of the Tail..to me it has that classic, magical madrigal sound that Genesis write.
    Never knew this before, Steve says he wrote the words and music for Entangled. One of those bits I never knew due to the band giving all members writing credit on each song.
    Also interesting that Steve envisioned it as being about a psychiatrist hypnotizing a patient...enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Never knew this before, Steve says he wrote the words and music for Entangled. One of those bits I never knew due to the band giving all members writing credit on each song.
    Well they didn't do that anymore starting with A Trick Of The Tail, so the "Hackett/Banks" credit on Entangled has been listed for 44 years now.

Banks talks about the track in the interview found on the blue boxed set. He had a section in 3/4 where the piano part originally played the vocal melody ("Well, if we can help you, we will...") that had no home, and Steve had the verses, also in 3/4, that had no home, so they joined up together quite well. Banks is quite fond of the track.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Well they didn't do that anymore starting with A Trick Of The Tail, so the "Hackett/Banks" credit on Entangled has been listed for 44 years now.

Banks talks about the track in the interview found on the blue boxed set. He had a section in 3/4 where the piano part originally played the vocal melody ("Well, if we can help you, we will...") that had no home, and Steve had the verses, also in 3/4, that had no home, so they joined up together quite well. Banks is quite fond of the track.
    Yes, in the video Steve does mention Tony's piano part.
    You are right about the song writing credits, thanks for fixing that. Before posting I looked at the inside of my vinyl jacket with song titles and lyrics and no credit was given, other than small print on the side listing the copyrights for each member.
    I just pulled the album out and they do list the members who wrote the song on each song, so thanks again for letting me know.