Thread: John 5 vs. Buckethead

John 5 vs. Buckethead

Yeah, I know. A "vs." thread.
    They're both very accomplished technical players who're capable of a variety of styles. Who would you call the more well-rounded player?

Banned
    is buckethead the GNR dude? No idea who John 5 is. I do like John from Cincinatti though.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    is buckethead the GNR dude? No idea who John 5 is. I do like John from Cincinatti though.
    Buckethead was in Guns N Roses for a while and appears on the "Chinese Democracy" album. He had a solid solo career both before and after his GNR tenure. John 5 has played with a ton of people, but is probably best known for working with David Lee Roth, Marylin Manson, and Rob Zombie. They are both incredible players, but I have never seen either of them live so it is hard to judge who is better.

Steve Sly

Buckethead. Hands down.

on stage they're both beasts on guitar. I can do w/o Bucket's nunchucks & robotic dancing. With official releases, I own several John 5 CDs and have explored Bucket's stuff but haven't been attracted enough to purchase anything. J5 is just more fun, for me.
    Last edited by davis; 03-04-2013 at 09:11 AM.

John 5 is a regular guest player on That Metal Show.

I like the fact that John 5 plays a Telecaster! That alone puts him ahead of Buckethead in my book!

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Yeah, I know. A "vs." thread.
    They're both very accomplished technical players who're capable of a variety of styles. Who would you call the more well-rounded player?
    Buckethead.

next question.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I like the fact that John 5 plays a Telecaster! That alone puts him ahead of Buckethead in my book!
    yeah but that tele is so modded as to not even be close to the original tele in sound.

Which guy has developed a more distinct vocabulary or comes closer to having a unique sound??... Buckethead. John 5 is slick, but his output and range as a player to date is much smaller than Brian Carroll's. I'd love to see him put out something as significant as Praxis Metatron or Octave of The Holy Innocents... hasn't happened yet.

more well rounded player would have to be brian carroll see above ^^^^^.

Mr. Bckthd's discography is massive & he's only in his 40's. I get it - he doesn't sleep & he's even busier than Steven Wilson, which is seemingly impossible. What exactly does 'well-rounded' mean? Quick, somebody tell me before I drive over to Merriam-Webster.

well rounded-well balanced in a range or variety of aspects.