Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which album would you wish you were there...

Which album would you wish you were there...

...in the studio during recording and mixing, as assistant engineer, coffee bringer or even a fly on the wall?

For me it's a tie between 10CC Original Soundtrack and Peter Gabriel IV, preferably involved in the engineering to see some great innovations happening
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Banned
    ^^^ great picks!

Sorry to be typical, but for historical and innovative kicks it would have to be Sgt. Pepper for me.
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 04-06-2020 at 09:56 AM.

I would be more into witnessing the writing process instead of the recording of an Album..

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Definitely Rubber Soul or anything else by the Mops.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The XTC Nonsuch Wilson expanded blu-ray has some studio stuff about how they came up with some of the songs.
    As a non musician I found it fascinating.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Wish You Were Here, mainly to see Syd walk in and the PF reaction. I love PG IV (my fav PG album) but watching him turn knobs for months on end, would be tough to watch. DSOTM, to see how they went about collecting all those sounds and vocal snippets, plus if there was ever a moment where they realized that this was going to be huge.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Close to the Edge. I could hang out with Bruford while we wait for Squire to bother showing up.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Close to the Edge. I could hang out with Bruford while we wait for Squire to bother showing up.
    Or slowly turn knobs at 3am. I'm with you on this. My other choice would be Rush for "Moving Pictures." To witness Alex nail the solo in "Limelight" would be amazing.
    Chad

Soft Machine Vol. 2/Third/4. The great thing is, there are actually some clips of them working on 4. There's enough, about 10 minutes, to really give you a feel for what it was like.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    ... and then proceeding to punch him on the chin.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    The XTC Nonsuch Wilson expanded blu-ray has some studio stuff about how they came up with some of the songs.
    As a non musician I found it fascinating.
    XTC recording Skylarking with Todd would be a good one to watch as a fly on the wall, as sessions went they had everything in terms of emotion, but together they created beauty out of angst!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    ... and then proceeding to punch him on the chin.
    Only if he took a swing at me first.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I love PG IV (my fav PG album) but watching him turn knobs for months on end, would be tough to watch.
    I'd been there helping him turning those knobs for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    ^^^ great picks!

Sorry to be typical, but for historical and innovative kicks it would have to be Sgt. Pepper for me.
    Glad to see someone else picked Sgt Pepper as that's what I would pick #1. Then maybe Moody Blues Days of Future Passed.
    Of course tripping with Syd during Piper at the Gates of Dawn would be quite fun!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I'd have liked to have watch Pink Floyd, not so much recording, but rehearsing. From what I gather a lot of their stuff was worked up in the rehearsal room (as opposed to someone coming in and saying, "RIGHT! I've written a song!") so it might have been interesting to watch a lot of that come together, to hear whatever bits that might have been discarded. So I'd be interesting in hearing how somethign like A Saucerful Of Secrets or Atom Heart Mother was put together. I'd love to have watched them record the "Nothing" tracks, which formed the basis of Echoes.

Genesis might be another band I'd like to watch put the material together. From what I gather, a lot of their stuff was, again, the result of jamming in the rehearsal room. So it might have been interesting to hear, let's say, a rough draft of the back half of The Cinema Show, or the instrumental section of Firth Of Fifth, or Duke's Travels, Home By The Sea, Dodo/The Lurker, etc. I remember Tony Banks saying that the original demo of Me And Sarah Jane had a couple bits that didn't get used in the final draft, and that Abacab itself was originally 10 minutes long (and, apparently, bits were in a different order to what they are on the arrangement we know).

Also would have liked to have seen Hawkwind record some of their records, particularly In Search Of Space, Doremi Fasol Latido, Hall Of The Mountain Grill, etc.

Of course, I'd love to know just how many overdubs were on some of the classic live albums, like Space Ritual, Uriah Heep Live, Live And Dangerous etc.

I'd love to see what went on in the studio while Kiss were recording some of their records, too. Also Queen (though I've heard they were really boring in the studio, because they'd spend hours working on one track).

And also Relayer.

I think I might have liked to have seen yes rehearse and record Relayer. Maybe of some of those late 70's/early 80's Rush albums, also.

Banned
    I just thought of another one - I would have loved to see Gentle Giant, who acted as their own producers after the first couple records, in the studio putting together any of those great albums from Three Friends to Free Hand. Maybe Octopus (before Phil left).

That would be a dream come true for this fly-on-the-wall...

Brain Salad Surgery would be mind blowing.

Probably, Tull's Aqualung. Because during downtime I could go upstairs and watch Led Zeppelin record LZ IV in the same studio.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Yeah, this was the first one I thought of. I also like the idea of a Peter Gabriel album but for me it would be 3 (Melt).

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Brain Salad Surgery would be mind blowing.

Ooh! Industry Standard by The Dregs would be sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Also Queen (though I've heard they were really boring in the studio, because they'd spend hours working on one track).
    How about Hysteria? Or Gabriels UP/Ovo/etc? Surely a couple of dead flies there Queen would really have been interesting in their early creative albums! Maybe helping out with a Galileo or two

OK, for me it would be the Stones Exile on Main street since it was more like a 6 month party as it was anything else...

Mothers - Uncle Meat
    Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch
    Bruford - One Of A Kind