Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which album would you wish you were there...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'd like to change from Rubber Soul to Sgt Peppers - more revolutionary. I'm going for a second one too (I'm greedy), Foxtrot.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 04-07-2020 at 11:14 AM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

There are too many to pick between but I wouldn't mind having witnessed Dark Side of the Moon being recorded. It would have been fun watching Zappa record Joe's Garage too. From what I understand, he had a bunch of unconnected songs he was recording with his band and over a weekend he wrote the theme of the Central Scrutinizer and changed some lyrics around and presto, a triple concept album was born.

I would have liked to have assisted in the editing/mix-downs on Tales from Topographic Oceans. Absolutely!

I picked one that I was very surprised not to have seen mentioned yet: Electric Ladyland...yeah!

Second choice would be Tanz der Lemmings (ADII)

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    I picked one that I was very surprised not to have seen mentioned yet: Electric Ladyland...yeah!
    Good one. Imagine sitting through all three takes of the 'Voodoo Chile' jam, with Winwood and Cassidy. Possibly, at some point, catching a few runs at what turned out to be '1983...' or maybe the different guitar parts on 'All Along the Watchtower'. Yes, definitely my choice too.
    The more you know you know you don't know what you know

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I'd have liked to have watch Pink Floyd, not so much recording, but rehearsing. From what I gather a lot of their stuff was worked up in the rehearsal room (as opposed to someone coming in and saying, "RIGHT! I've written a song!") so it might have been interesting to watch a lot of that come together, to hear whatever bits that might have been discarded. So I'd be interesting in hearing how somethign like A Saucerful Of Secrets or Atom Heart Mother was put together. I'd love to have watched them record the "Nothing" tracks, which formed the basis of Echoes.
    I've seen a video where Roger talks about the band sitting around for and hour banging away in C then looking at each other and saying.. "right looks like we've got a song here".. I'm sure that's exactly how Echos / Atom Heart Mother was conceived.. simply jamming

"I Sing the Body Electric" Side 1 and then going out with them in Tokyo for Side 2. My top musical dream has always been to "reside" in Wayne Shorter mind for a day.
    Last edited by Dedatolo; 04-07-2020 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    ...in the studio during recording and mixing, as assistant engineer, coffee bringer or even a fly on the wall?

For me it's a tie between 10CC Original Soundtrack and Peter Gabriel IV, preferably involved in the engineering to see some great innovations happening
    Good question! I've got a few records that I would've loved to be in the studio for:

Stevie Wonder: Music Of My Mind, Talking Book, Innervisions, Fulfullingness' First Finale, Songs In The Key Of Life
    The Beatles: Sgt. Peppers, 'The White Album', Abbey Road
    King Crimson: ITCOTKC, LTIA
    The Mars Volta: De-Loused In The Comatorium, Frances The Mute
    Pink Floyd: The Dark Side Of The Moon

The Byrds' The Notorious Byrd Brothers. Besides the killer music and studio wizardry, I'd get a lot of pre- and post-game entertainment with David Crosby and Micheal Clarke bickering and insulting. And although not an official Byrd then, seeing Clarence White playing up close would have been a thrill.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    There are too many to pick between but I wouldn't mind having witnessed Dark Side of the Moon being recorded.
    Agreed.........I could think of dozens.
    But my number one overall choice would be the great RTF:

ROMANTIC WARRIOR

Bill Bruford's Feels Good To Me, because all of those wonderful musicians, technicians etc., but also because to see the learning proces Bruford was going through during this, his first solo-effort.

I'd been there helping him turning those knobs for sure!
    Turning knobs sounds great but he would have tossed me out of the room fairly quickly!

Steely Dan - Aja

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it would have to be Van der Graaf Generator's Pawn Hearts.
    It would be interesting to witness how "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" was created.
    I remember reading somewhere that during the mixing of it things got so intense that they almost wiped some of the tracks.

Jimi Hendrix: Band of Gypsys
    Magma: Hhai (live)
    Colosseum Live
    The Who: Live at Leeds

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    The Byrds' The Notorious Byrd Brothers. Besides the killer music and studio wizardry, I'd get a lot of pre- and post-game entertainment with David Crosby and Micheal Clarke bickering and insulting.
    I thought about this one as well, as it's one of my fave records by anyone. Another obvious one would be Trout Mask Replica, H.P. Lovecraft's second album, An Electric Storm by White Noise or perhaps even the sole one by Touch. Not to mention Who's Next. Or - gulp! - Oar by Skip Spence.

After reading Benjamin Piekut's The World Is a Problem, I'd also like to have witnessed the recording of the Art Bears' Hopes and Fears.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    The Byrds' The Notorious Byrd Brothers. Besides the killer music and studio wizardry, I'd get a lot of pre- and post-game entertainment with David Crosby and Micheal Clarke bickering and insulting. And although not an official Byrd then, seeing Clarence White playing up close would have been a thrill.
    I'm sure you have the remastered Byrds cd where there is a "bonus" track of Crosby chewing some band member... Was it Clarke? I just remember Croz ranting about "it's all your ego, man...". Not sure I'd want to sit through too much of that.

PS Just looked at my stack of Byrds remasters; there is no obviously designated track of "band bickering". I wonder if it was tacked on as a hidden track?

All the Steely Dan albums. [emoji3]

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I'm sure you have the remastered Byrds cd where there is a "bonus" track of Crosby chewing some band member... Was it Clarke? I just remember Croz ranting about "it's all your ego, man...". Not sure I'd want to sit through too much of that.

PS Just looked at my stack of Byrds remasters; there is no obviously designated track of "band bickering". I wonder if it was tacked on as a hidden track?
    Yes, it's a hidden track. Each of those Byrds remasters had a hidden track at the end. In that case, you had Cros and Clarke going at it, with Gary Usher, I believe it is, refereeing the spectacle.

As far as seeing Clarence White play, give me a front row seat at the show that side two of [Untitled] was recorded at.

How about Hysteria? Or Gabriels UP/Ovo/etc? Surely a couple of dead flies there Queen would really have been interesting in their early creative albums! Maybe helping out with a Galileo or two
    Ya know, you mention Hysteria, I assume you mean the Def Leppard record, right? Now that brings up an interesting point, because you've got these records that took years and years to make, and you wonder if those were the only songs they ended up working on. Another one like that is Boston, how many songs did Tom Scholz throw out while he was making Third Stage, for instance?

In the case of Hysteria, part of the problem was that they started working on the album, with one producer (Jim Steinman, I think), and after a couple months, decided it was working, so they basically got rid of him (but they still had to pay him as if he had finished the project), then they tried to make the record with themselves producing, and that didn't work either, and then they decided to just wait until Mutt Lange was available, because they kept asking themselves, "What would Mutt do?". Oh and, then there was Rick Allen's car accident, which I guess sidelined them, not so much because he couldn't play (because they were already using drum machines even on Pyromania) but more a matter of "Well, we can't go forward until we know he's gonna be alright".

The thing with Queen is, I just think it'd be cool to be there to watch Brian do his guitar overdubs. Some of the rest of it might have been tedious, but it might have been interesting to watch him construct something like the Bohemian Rhapsody or especially the Killer Queen solos, or see him do stuff like God Save The Queen or the A Day At The Races intro. And I'd also like to see them coming up with the material for the Flash Gordon soundtrack.

In The Court Of The Crimson King. The early Morgan Studio sessions from August 1969 with Tony Clarke at the helm, prior to the later finished product. I hope archaeology will dig up more lost tapes of those sessions, and I hope that'll be while I'm still around! Love that early Schizoid Man and the early BBC sessions too.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Eno- Another Green World or Before and After Science. Absolutely pivotal studio-as-instrument albums. And the guest list...

My picks are Pawn Hearts and David Sylvian's Gone To Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    As far as seeing Clarence White play, give me a front row seat at the show that side two of [Untitled] was recorded at.
    I was fortunate enough to see Clarence play twice. Once in Providence in 1970 just before [Untitled] was released and again in Philly at the end of 1972. I had not heard of the B-Bender then. I do remember seeing Clarence pull down on the neck of his Telecaster once in a while thinking either he's got an itch or his strap is uncomfortable. I had no idea that's how the device was engaged.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    Eno- Another Green World or Before and After Science. Absolutely pivotal studio-as-instrument albums. And the guest list...
    Good picks!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx