Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson 4 CD Tribute album

I would say that the first Light Freedom Revival CD, the mouthful "Eterniverse Deja Vu" is enjoyable in an amateur sort of way. Vehadija has written all the songs and he does have a knack for hooks, and at least his own sing-song melodies are simple enough that he can sing them reasonably well. Billy Sherwood co-produced and seems to have kept Vehadia on a short leash. Sherwood had the good sense of double-tracking all his vocals with a female voice. She was probably in the studio singing live with him to keep him on pitch (I heard that George Martin did this for Ringo, too...). Further, the playing is excellent: Sherwood, Oliver, and a very good guitarist (Jamie Glaser?). The result could be described as a cross between Christopher Cross and 1980s Yes and Vehadija's goofy Andersonian lyrics actually succeed in being uplifting.

Like ABBA I can't listen to more than 2-3 tracks at a time but also like ABBA it contains some guilty pleasures. Anyway give the songs a listen. The whole thing is up on Youtube. I'm not saying you'll like it, but compared to this new Anderson tribute project, Eterniverse is a masterpiece.

sourdough advocate
    Has anyone seen the movie [U]Florence Foster Jenkins[U]? Based on a true story - a very wealthy woman who loved opera and wanted to be a singer. She couldn't sing but that didn't stop her from renting Carnegie Hall for a performance. That's what this reminded me of. He gets points for his passion but he should stick to singing in the shower. Yowza!
    When in doubt....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkil View Post
    Has anyone seen the movie [U]Florence Foster Jenkins[U]? Based on a true story - a very wealthy woman who loved opera and wanted to be a singer. She couldn't sing but that didn't stop her from renting Carnegie Hall for a performance. That's what this reminded me of. He gets points for his passion but he should stick to singing in the shower. Yowza!
    Never seen it, but read about it.

It's a train wreck inside a nuclear bomb on a planet about to be hit by a giant meteor, yet ... for some reason I can't stop listening to it.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by malgeo View Post
    It's a train wreck inside a nuclear bomb on a planet about to be hit by a giant meteor, yet ... for some reason I can't stop listening to it.
    Sounds like the aural equivalent of Highlander 2: The Quickening
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Jesus.

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by malgeo View Post
    ... for some reason I can't stop listening to it.
    Please stay safe. It may not be the right time to challenge your immune system.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    The music publishers should have approved the release. They may or may not do so in consultation with Anderson. Many publishers will approve pretty much any cover -- it's free money after all. The only time I've heard of publishers being difficult about this sort of thing is with The Beatles, who can afford to be picky. Even then, there's no lack of Beatles covers.
    FYI - for those interested.

In the USA, any one can cover any song that has been recorded and released before and there is a standard rate, set by Congress that you can not be charged more than. It's called the 'statutory rate' (seriously).

That's why, despite her many objections to basically everything, Gail Zappa was not able to stop us legally from doing Ed Palermo's (brilliant) releases of Frank's music.

The only time you need permission of the publishers is when you want to syncronize in any way a moving image to the cover of the song. That's different and requires their permission and a different kind of license (a 'sync' license).
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkil View Post
    I had never heard of Florence Foster Jenkins before your post, but she is clearly an inspiration for folks like Mr. Vehadija. I am amazed how popular she remains online. I found this gem...

^^^

So one day our children's children's chldren will be watching a movie about John Vehadija
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Banned
    Along the same lines, comedian and non-piano player John Benjamin recorded an album with accomplished jazz musicians. The way he tells it, these studio pros were pretty pissed off over the whole thing. I think it's good for a laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    our children's children's chldren will be watching a movie about John Vehadija
    Not likely. There's little historical evidence to suggest that F.F.J. represented anything but a rare bit of curiosa even in terms of "fringe" approach to her contemporary culture, yet she did so from an outset of a certain highbrow adherence. Whereas this John Vehadija could hardly be awarded status of "eccentric" in his craft; rather he's a bonafide freak in the sloppiest bounds of the digital media age, pursuing a quest not even rooted in established tropes of "serious" art. In a few decades' time, people will have forgotten even his sources - let alone a phenomenon such as himself.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Jesus.

This is so awful I laughed through the whole thing. Yes, I did make it all the way through.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Along the same lines, comedian and non-piano player John Benjamin recorded an album with accomplished jazz musicians. The way he tells it, these studio pros were pretty pissed off over the whole thing. I think it's good for a laugh!
    It's far more listenable than the music that's the subject of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Not likely. There's little historical evidence to suggest that F.F.J. represented anything but a rare bit of curiosa even in terms of "fringe" approach to her contemporary culture, yet she did so from an outset of a certain highbrow adherence. Whereas this John Vehadija could hardly be awarded status of "eccentric" in his craft; rather he's a bonafide freak in the sloppiest bounds of the digital media age, pursuing a quest not even rooted in established tropes of "serious" art. In a few decades' time, people will have forgotten even his sources - let alone a phenomenon such as himself.
    Yes. I'll be dark and take it that awkward step further and acknowledge that his fate will indeed be the same for most of us operating in the shadows of giants already in rapid decline.

The fame associated with being "so bad it's good" is as mercurial as "popular" fame in many ways. For every William Hung, Wesley Willis, "The Room" or "Manos Hands of Fate" are thousands of works of remarkably poor quality (or taste) that will remain forever buried in the bottom of the bins. I do admit to finding that somewhat comforting.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

^ Very much so. The "So bad it's good"-maxim was indeed a trait totally produced from post-modernist tropes of "qualitative interpretation", having little formal bearing on the source product; i.e. Ed Wood is still regarded as a completely incompetent filmmaker amongst academics, give or take 'Ed Wood' (the quite good biographical movie), and Tommy Wiseau is (luckily) still perceived as not only incompetent but likely also a narrative performer of below-average ability in general, 'The Disaster Artist' notwithstanding.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    ..."Manos Hands of Fate"...
    Saw this back in the late 90s on MST3K with some colleagues just before we graduated from university and found it to be a side-splitter from start to finish (though admittedly many of the laughs were spurred on by the ongoing commentary). "So-bad-it's-good," indeed!

Somebody really needs to dig up some Blue Vino viddys to bring this thing full circle.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Somebody really needs to dig up some Blue Vino viddys to bring this thing full circle.
    They really don't
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Oh snap, I swear I was just about to type a Blue Vino reference. I'm surprised it took this long frankly, given he was pretty much PE's mascot for this very phenomenon.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'm actually surprised that anyone is surprised by the existence of this phenomena. All it takes is money and someone willing to take it. You wouldn't think someone like Beyonce would play at some birthday party but she did, for a shit ton of money.

The art world is full of 'art' that might have a limited appeal but does indeed find an audience. I've been inside a lot of wealthy homes that had very expensive artwork that had me thinking, "if you say so". For every 10 pieces of art that evoked awe or inspiration in me there's alway one that has me shaking my head, especially when I find out how much was paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by tdotdo View Post
    This is so awful I laughed through the whole thing. Yes, I did make it all the way through.
    This is so bad, but also so confusing haha, as the music in the background is actually really good.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    This is so bad, but also so confusing haha, as the music in the background is actually really good.
    Sort of like a universe of light and wonder surrounding a steaming intergalactic turd.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Anyone else hear a touch of Trent Gardener in this guy's voice and inflections?
    Chad

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Sort of like a universe of light and wonder surrounding a steaming intergalactic turd.
    That’s a hell of a thing to say about Jesus with a guitar.