Thread: Great prog band you have never heard of before - Ghost of Jupiter

Great prog band you have never heard of before - Ghost of Jupiter

A recent find Ghost of Jupiter ... truly to its name the band must have had something to do with "ghosting". Not sure how this band could have escaped my attention for so long, being an American band at that (Boston). Wish they had been part of one of the NEARFests, pretty sure they would have made quite a splash there. But please judge for yourself and let me know if you are as impressed as I am. The best place to listen is at their bandcamp site:

https://ghostsofjupiter.bandcamp.com...-bright-horses

The band should appeal the most to the traditional prog fan. I am myself not sure what I like more there ... the latter music in a more classic prog direction or the early harder punch. Have to add that Nate Wilson, the guy behind the band, must be one of the coolest and forthcoming guys I have ever had a contact with ... so far by e-mail but hope to have a chance to meet him in person one of these days.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Not bad stuff.

If Dungen had been a actual psych band in '67-'68, this might be the music they would have made in 1971 - a bigger sound, more compositionally ambitious, more adventurous harmonically, but clearly connected to their earlier, more compact psych work. There's also a bit of Canterbury there. Progday might want to check these guys out - they'd be a good candidate for the mainstream-prog band they usually try to get one of.

It's quite good. I wouldn't call it "prog", as it sounds closer to Indie bands like early Tame Impala, Fleet Foxes etc than late 60's bands like Traffic or Procol Harum that they surely have listened to. They focus more on the dreamy pop/rock concept than on large instrumental parts and chops. Some 10-15 years ago they could probably have broken into the market, but nowadays the Bizarre Indie wave has already lost its steam and impact.

Good call - definitely worth of investigation.

I've had this for a while and quite like it. This thread inspired me to pull it out again, s thanks for reminding me about it. I had it on repeat all night the other night. Great stuff though I've never been entirely sure how to categorize it. Not that that matters at all. It's simply good rock music.

Some nice tunes on this!

1971 proto prog to my ears.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Not bad stuff.

If Dungen had been a actual psych band in '67-'68, this might be the music they would have made in 1971 - a bigger sound, more compositionally ambitious, more adventurous harmonically, but clearly connected to their earlier, more compact psych work. There's also a bit of Canterbury there. Progday might want to check these guys out - they'd be a good candidate for the mainstream-prog band they usually try to get one of.
    Thanks for positivity. I have to acknowledge that I am not that familiar with Dungen. Tried to approach it once and got even a CD but it was bit of a mixed bag and kind of ended for me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I've had this for a while and quite like it. This thread inspired me to pull it out again, s thanks for reminding me about it. I had it on repeat all night the other night. Great stuff though I've never been entirely sure how to categorize it. Not that that matters at all. It's simply good rock music.
    Thanks for sharing, glad to have been of service. it is great to find out there is someone here who knows and likes the band. Still scratching my head how I could have missed this band for so many years, I guess yo were more lucky there. Somehow the music clicked immediately with me and pretty much at every phase of their progression. Still on the fence though which phase is better the latter (The Great Bright Horses - 2016) or the harder punch at the beginning (Unbound by Nate Wilson Group - 2008). Like them both though so this is strictly academic dilemma for me.

Keepers of the Newborn Green.
    I just downloaded this album from Bandcamp & I’m really digging their sounds. The bass and drums really play some tasty rhythms. Active and melodic. The vocals are a high point &, so far, Sea of Madness provides a fun guitar riff on my favorite track of the album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    I just downloaded this album from Bandcamp & I’m really digging their sounds. The bass and drums really play some tasty rhythms. Active and melodic. The vocals are a high point &, so far, Sea of Madness provides a fun guitar riff on my favorite track of the album.

Still have to get to listen to this one properly. Also downloaded it but hopefully it will be released on a CD as well. Still prefer the physical format.

What they wrote to descrive the sound of "the great bright horses" makes totally sense to me:

"Ghost of Jupiter’s second LP release draws upon the experimental flute-prog of Traffic and King Crimson, the exploratory elements of Meddle-era Pink Floyd, and the modern psychedelia of Tame Impala, Midlake, and Dungen."

I was trying to think of a current band with a similar vibe, but the name eluded me. Midlake! That’s what I was trying to remember! Thank you.

I was trying to think of a current band with a similar vibe, but the name eluded me. Midlake! That’s what I was trying to remember! Thank you.
    Listening to the first two tracks from Keepers of the Newborn Green it seems to have quite strong Jethro Tull vibe with the flute omnipresent there. Vocal harmonies though point somewhere else. Should probably check this band Midlake, thanks.

Finished to listen to it with the headphones on. For me it seems previous albums are a bit better. This one is a bit more toned down with a couple of exemptions there, Sea of Madness and instrumental Gustav. You should be checking the very first album there Unbound by Nate Wilson Group. Plenty more of good riffs there.

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Finished to listen to it with the headphones on. For me it seems previous albums are a bit better. This one is a bit more toned down with a couple of exemptions there, Sea of Madness and instrumental Gustav. You should be checking the very first album there Unbound by Nate Wilson Group. Plenty more of good riffs there.
    Nate Wilson Group. I’m listening now! Good riffage! I like it! I bought it! Thanks!