Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Not so vintage TV

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Frell! There's no reason for me to actually know any of that dren, off the top of my head. But hey, there's no reason for me to use the Farscape swear words, either. (shrug)
    Ah so, grasshopper. Self awareness is the beginning of wisdom.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Dave also had a crush on Isabella Rossellini. He'd often introduce her as his girlfriend or fiancé. Finally he changed it to ex-wife, "and here's a woman I was married to for several years".
    You remind me of the time he had Steve Allen on, and in introducing he said something like, "Most of the stuff on this show that's actually funny, we stole from our next guest".
    We watch Colbert on a regular basis but the energy just isn't the same without an audience. I read that the talk show producers keep up a weekly email chain on coping with this pandemic and when they can go with a full audience.
    When that hurricane hit NYC, was it Hurricane Sandy? Anyway, I remember Dave did a show or two with no audience, and yeah, that was a weird vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Ah so, grasshopper. Self awareness is the beginning of wisdom.
    Dude, I've been aware for the last 20 years, at least, there was no reason to know most of the crap I do. Being able to recite lines from The Blues Brothers, Heavy Metal, Rock & Rule, Sixteen Candles, Student Bodies, Animal House and/or National Lampoon's Vacation is not a marketable skill. Neither is knowing who played bass on which Uriah Heep album, or why the first Stateside ELO album was called No Answer.

You ever wonder what useless trivia? Well, there it is right there. I mean, nobody cares which Rainbow albums Cozy Powell played on. They don't care which Thin Lizzy albums Gary Moore on, either.

Dude, I've been aware for the last 20 years, at least, there was no reason to know most of the crap I do. Being able to recite lines from The Blues Brothers, Heavy Metal, Rock & Rule, Sixteen Candles, Student Bodies, Animal House and/or National Lampoon's Vacation is not a marketable skill. Neither is knowing who played bass on which Uriah Heep album, or why the first Stateside ELO album was called No Answer.

You ever wonder what useless trivia? Well, there it is right there. I mean, nobody cares which Rainbow albums Cozy Powell played on. They don't care which Thin Lizzy albums Gary Moore on, either.
    You can comfort yourself with the knowledge that, objectively, in a vacuum, knowledge is better than lack of knowledge.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

As for Brokaw, I dunno, I may be misremembering. I know they used to stuff on NBC, things like a viewer asking what's at the top of the spiral staircase in the back of the Late Night set. Dave goes up to the staircase, and it leads into the NBC Nightly News set, and Brokaw's in the middle of a broadcast or something like that. Dave's like "Dont' mind me, I'm just getting some drinks out of the fridge" or whatever. Another time, someone asks what the large knife switch, also in the back of the set, does, and Biff explains, "Ya know, I'm not sure it's even hooked up to anything" and starts flipping it back and forth, and they cut to the lights fading and out on the NNN set, with Brokaw looking around with a "WTF" look on his face. Maybe he didn't do so much later on.
    On the old NBC show, Dave did even more skits with Phil Donahue, who taped his show just across the hall.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    On the old NBC show, Dave did even more skits with Phil Donahue, who taped his show just across the hall.
    I remember Phil doing the "spitting out the coffee" thing when Dave asked him about Oprah signing a million dollar deal or whatever it was with his distributor. Then he did the same gag with Marlo Thomas (Phil's wife), except she just dribbled the water, and I think Danny Thomas (Marlo's dad) did the same thing.

Phil Donahue had the last really good, watchable day time talk show, after both Mike Douglas and Merv Griffin retired. I remember Merv being some years later why he retired, and he said he had already seen where daytime talk shows were going (i.e. Geraldo), and had no interest in doing that kind of show. I wonder if it was the same for Phil or Mike. I miss all three of them.