Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 83

Thread: Not so vintage TV

  1. #51
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    As opposed to when Chevy Chase did Gerald Ford. You literally Could. Not. Tell. it was not Ford.
    During Chevy Chase's tenure, my parents wouldn't allow me to watch SNL.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    During Chevy Chase's tenure, my parents wouldn't allow me to watch SNL.
    I had to look that one up, because I wasn't sure, but I believe I wasn't even in the country during Chevy Chase's SNL tenure. My dad didn't get transferred back Stateside (my dad was stationed in West Germany since March 1973) until 1976, probably after Chevy had already left the show for his Hollywood career.

    Also, I was two years old, so...

  3. #53
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,423
    ^^ I was in the 6th grade during the '76 election cycle...the time during which Chase did most of his Gerald Ford parodies. One effect Chase had was convincing Americans Ford was a klutz, when in reality, there was a single incident when he tripped a little. That's almost as bad yellow journalism getting the US into a war with Spain, just prior to the turn of the 20th century.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  4. #54
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,999
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    One effect Chase had was convincing Americans Ford was a klutz, when in reality, there was a single incident when he tripped a little. That's almost as bad yellow journalism getting the US into a war with Spain, just prior to the turn of the 20th century.
    There are a couple of instances of Ford falling caught on tape. They use to be on YT. One of them was while he was coming down steps from a plane; he gets up, clearly disheveled from the fall he tries to shake the hand of one of his assistants rather than the dignitary who was waiting for him.

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ I was in the 6th grade during the '76 election cycle...the time during which Chase did most of his Gerald Ford parodies. One effect Chase had was convincing Americans Ford was a klutz, when in reality, there was a single incident when he tripped a little. That's almost as bad yellow journalism getting the US into a war with Spain, just prior to the turn of the 20th century.
    Yeah, well Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam", Ed Sullivan never said "We've got a really big shoe tonight!", Carl Sagan never said "billions and billions of stars", and William Shatner doesn't insert those long pauses into his dialog. Those are all things impressionists did, and are "what you do" when doing an impression of that person, even though it has nothing to do with anything that person actually did or said.

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    There are a couple of instances of Ford falling caught on tape. They use to be on YT. One of them was while he was coming down steps from a plane; he gets up, clearly disheveled from the fall he tries to shake the hand of one of his assistants rather than the dignitary who was waiting for him.
    The bit with him coming down the steps from Air Force One was used in an episode of Quantum Leap, where Sam bets someone that Ford will down the stars (of course being from the future, Sam knows what's going to happen). The guy says there's no way Ford's gonna fall on camera again, so he takes the bet, loses, and ends up having to do whatever it was Sam wanted him to do, I forget what it was now.

    For what it's worth, I've read several times that Ford had a good sense of humor about things like that. As I recall, he recorded a "Live from New York, it's Saturday Night" bit from the Oval Office, and sent his press secretary to appear on the show.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 04-08-2020 at 09:52 PM.

  7. #57
    Sagan may not have said "Billions and billions of stars", but he did say "ten billion, billion, billion atoms"...



    And. William. Shatner. Did. Have. A. Choppy. Delivery.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

    Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

  8. #58
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    3,177
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Sagan may not have said "Billions and billions of stars", but he did say "ten billion, billion, billion atoms"...
    I never said most of the things I said. --Y. Berra

  9. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    4,042
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

    For what it's worth, I've read several times that Ford had a good sense of humor about things like that. As I recall, he recorded a "Live from New York, it's Saturday Night" bit from the Oval Office, and sent his press secretary to appear on the show.
    Ford was originally from Grand Rapids Michigan, which is about 45 minutes from where I live, so he was very well known in these parts. He always did have a great sense of humor about everything and I think even appeared with Chevy Chase on more than one occasion. The ironic thing about it all is the Ford was probably one of the best athletes to ever sit in the Oval Office. Ford was a football star at the University Of Michigan and won two national championships while he was on the team. The Gerald Ford museum in Grand Rapids is a pretty cool place to visit if anyone ever gets up that way.

  10. #60
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,999
    Ford did get an aircraft supercarrier named after him. I wonder when Jimmy Carter gets his.

    <edit> a quick search and JC already has (appropriately) a Seawolf class sub named after him.

  11. #61
    Found out last night that Prime has Orphan Black!

  12. #62
    My dad had Pawn Stars on for a bit. A woman brought in the very first issue of Mad comics. I think the expert said it was something like 6.5 or 7, in a scale of 1 to 10, and that it was probably worth 2 grand. But Rick and the lady apparently didn't come to an agreement, because Rick would only offer $1,400 and her bottom price was $1,500.

    And that brings up another thing about this kind of stuff, if an expert says "Oh, you could get 3 grand for that easily", why would you let some jack ass pawn broke take 15 percent or whatever of that?! You could sell it yourself and get the full price!

  13. #63
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,423
    ^^ Selling high dollar items isn't as easy as it would seem. With the cut Ebay and Paypal take, a seller will end up with about the same amount as the 2/3 of its value from a pawn shop. The pawn shop also removes any headache and risk dealing with the public.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  14. #64
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,423
    Last week and tonight, the Magnum P.I. reboot is the lead in to Tom Selleck's current show, Blue Bloods.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  15. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ Selling high dollar items isn't as easy as it would seem. With the cut Ebay and Paypal take, a seller will end up with about the same amount as the 2/3 of its value from a pawn shop. The pawn shop also removes any headache and risk dealing with the public.
    Hmm, I didn't realize Ebay and Paypal took a cut, but I guess it makes sense. Not much point in running a site like that if you're doing it for profit. And I suppose you have a point. You sell it to the pawnshop and it's their job to find someone to buy it from them.

  16. #66
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,423
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Hmm, I didn't realize Ebay and Paypal took a cut, but I guess it makes sense. Not much point in running a site like that if you're doing it for profit. And I suppose you have a point. You sell it to the pawnshop and it's their job to find someone to buy it from them.
    Not many people even shop for high dollar items. It would require advertising to let the right people know the item is even available. Also deduct those advertising costs from the price of the item. A pawn shop who would buy and sell high dollar items already has the connections to sell those items.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  17. #67
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,999
    ^^ selling collectors items requires connections most "regular folk" don't have.

  18. #68
    So now it's onto Series 3, episode 8 of The Grand Tour. This week, our heroes are going on an RV vacation in Nevada!

  19. #69
    Just got done watching the first episode of a 2009 British show called Paradox. Basically, a physicist, who's monitoring the sun for solar flare activity, receives, via a satellite connection, photos predicting a disaster that will happen in 10 hours, so calls in a group of police detectives who have to piece together where and what's going to happen, in an attempt to prevent. I thought this was a new show, but the copyright says 2009. I looked it up on Wiki and apparently only five episodes were made, and the BBC chose to not renew it for a second series. Good, suspenseful program, I'll have to check out the other four episodes.

  20. #70
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    1,873
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Just got done watching the first episode of a 2009 British show called Paradox. Basically, a physicist, who's monitoring the sun for solar flare activity, receives, via a satellite connection, photos predicting a disaster that will happen in 10 hours, so calls in a group of police detectives who have to piece together where and what's going to happen, in an attempt to prevent. I thought this was a new show, but the copyright says 2009. I looked it up on Wiki and apparently only five episodes were made, and the BBC chose to not renew it for a second series. Good, suspenseful program, I'll have to check out the other four episodes.
    Is each episode an hour of real-time similar to the series "24"?

  21. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Is each episode an hour of real-time similar to the series "24"?
    It's nothing at all like 24. Episode 1 took place over the course of 10 hours.

  22. #72
    So now I've added another British series, called Humans, to my list. This is about a future where androids have become a common part of society, doing hard labor type jobs and also present in homes as nannies, butlers, etc. Episodes draws us toward four different tales, involving androids. One is about an elderly man (played by William Hurt) who has one of the first "D series" androids which is starting to malfunction, another is about a family who takes an android nanny (against the mother's wishes), and another is about man searching for three stolen androids, and a fourth we only glimpse in episode one, but we see a somewhat young married couple with an android named Simon.

    So this is looking promising.

  23. #73
    Member Dave the Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    So now I've added another British series, called Humans, to my list. This is about a future where androids have become a common part of society, doing hard labor type jobs and also present in homes as nannies, butlers, etc. Episodes draws us toward four different tales, involving androids. One is about an elderly man (played by William Hurt) who has one of the first "D series" androids which is starting to malfunction, another is about a family who takes an android nanny (against the mother's wishes), and another is about man searching for three stolen androids, and a fourth we only glimpse in episode one, but we see a somewhat young married couple with an android named Simon.

    So this is looking promising.
    In May 2019, Channel 4 announced that the series had been cancelled.

  24. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    In May 2019, Channel 4 announced that the series had been cancelled.
    Yes, I know Humans has been cancelled, but I believe it ran for three seasons before Channel 4 dropped the hammer on the show. Anyway, I liked the first episode, so I'm going to continue with it.

  25. #75
    Member Dave the Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yes, I know Humans has been cancelled, but I believe it ran for three seasons before Channel 4 dropped the hammer on the show. Anyway, I liked the first episode, so I'm going to continue with it.
    I also liked it and was disappointed when it was cancelled.

    DtB

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •